Professional Web Applications Themes

Adding IDE to a system with SCSI root/boot partition - SCO

Can this be done? I've found more than one reference that appears to imply that if your machine boots from a SCSI disk that you cannot add an IDE drive. Surely I'm misinterpreting what I've read. FWIW I'm trying to add an IDE disk to a running SCO 3.2 system that already has a single SCSI hard disk (2 partitions) and a SCSI tape drive. I was hoping to "image" the disk to an IDE drive for setting up a newer system. The bios sees the new IDE drive, but no combinations of mkdev hd x x seem to work. ...

  1. #1

    Default Adding IDE to a system with SCSI root/boot partition

    Can this be done? I've found more than one reference that appears to
    imply that if your machine boots from a SCSI disk that you cannot add an
    IDE drive. Surely I'm misinterpreting what I've read.

    FWIW I'm trying to add an IDE disk to a running SCO 3.2 system that
    already has a single SCSI hard disk (2 partitions) and a SCSI tape
    drive. I was hoping to "image" the disk to an IDE drive for setting up a
    newer system.

    The bios sees the new IDE drive, but no combinations of mkdev hd x x
    seem to work.

    Is this approach doomed from the start? Should I just move the SCSI
    controller and drives to the new box?

    Any comments appreciated.

    Scot Guest

  2. #2

    Scot Shepherd <com> wrote:

    Actually, that depends on your BIOS nowadays.

    I would..

    There's much more in the FAQ:
    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec2.html#mixide

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  3. #3

    Scot Shepherd wrote:

    That would probably be easier.

    It _is_ possible to have a SCSI root drive and IDE secondaries under
    OpenServer. But it requires a degree of kernel surgery that is not a
    good idea unless you are an experienced kernel surgeon.

    Another possible easier route: take the SCSI subsystem out of the old
    box, set it aside. Do an IDE install there (on the old system). Use
    `mkdev hd` and `mkdev tape` to add the SCSI drives back into the system;
    physically add the hardware back after the relink (during the subsequent
    reboot). (It isn't really necessary to remove the SCSI hardware, but I
    recommend doing so because then there is _no_ chance the IDE
    installation will harm anything on the SCSI drive. If it's physically
    present then there are a few odd scenarios that can unfold; for
    instance, if the install kernel fails to recognize the IDE drive for
    some reason, you'll end up installing on the SCSI disk and ing away
    contents of the drive you're trying to preserve. If the SCSI disk isn't
    present and the IDE drive isn't recognized, the install will just safely
    fail.)

    Bela Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Scot Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    Scott McMillan wrote:

    > As Tony stated, this depends on the BIOS in your system.
    >

    > If I'm reading this correctly, you want an IDE drive containing your
    > current SCO installation to be placed into a new system. I would
    > strongly suggest you look into one of the Supertars to help you
    > migrate to a different harddisk subsystem - See
    > http://aplawrence.com/Reviews/supertar.html
    >[/ref]

    Thanks, Tony's FAQ's have been very helpful. I'm to the point where I
    should be able to add the IDE drive and start copying data.

    However, I did not think about the issues you mention below and I agree
    I just may be wasting my time. I'll know for sure a little later this
    morning. I'll report back just for informations sake.

    Thanks guys for the very valuable advice and assistance.

    Scot

    Scot Guest