Professional Web Applications Themes

Adding scrollbar to a table - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I'm trying to create a table with a scrollbar when the text overflows the table. However, it never worked for me using CSS. Can someone list the procedures to make it work? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Adding scrollbar to a table

    soflaimports webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adding scrollbar to a table

    Sof:

    I can show you a site that does it -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/whims/tblscroll/[/url]

    Support will be limited, however.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "soflaimports" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to create a table with a scrollbar when the text overflows the
    table. However, it never worked for me using CSS. Can someone list the
    procedures to make it work? Thanks.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    As far as I know it is not possible to create a scrollbar inside a table.
    What is possible, is a scrollbar in a layer. So on top of you tablecell you can drag a layer, set the property overflow to scroll or auto. If you choose scroll, it will show the scrollbars, even when scrolling is not needed, if you use auto, they wil only show when they are needed.

    The only thing that you have to think about when you use these, is the fact that you can not print the content inside this layer, only what you see on your screen.

    If anymore questions about this, just ask.

    succes!

    Robert Jansen

    mrjansuh Guest

  4. #4

    Robert:

    For what it's worth, it is possible using CSS to create a scrollbar in a
    table, but support is not complete crossbrowser/platform. And further,
    putting a scrollbar in a layer is also poorly supported
    crossbrowse/platform.

    Neither are reliable solutions.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "mrjansuh" <infojmdwebdesign.nl> wrote in message
    > As far as I know it is not possible to create a scrollbar inside a table.
    > What is possible, is a scrollbar in a layer. So on top of you tablecell
    you can drag a layer, set the property overflow to scroll or auto. If you
    choose scroll, it will show the scrollbars, even when scrolling is not
    needed, if you use auto, they wil only show when they are needed.

    > The only thing that you have to think about when you use these, is the
    fact that you can not print the content inside this layer, only what you see
    on your screen.

    > If anymore questions about this, just ask.
    >
    > succes!
    >
    > Robert Jansen

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    As far as I know it is not possible to create a scrollbar inside a table.
    What is possible, is a scrollbar in a layer. So on top of you tablecell you can drag a layer, set the property overflow to scroll or auto. If you choose scroll, it will show the scrollbars, even when scrolling is not needed, if you use auto, they wil only show when they are needed.

    The only thing that you have to think about when you use these, is the fact that you can not print the content inside this layer, only what you see on your screen.

    If anymore questions about this, just ask.

    succes!

    Robert Jansen

    Yes, but let's say the table is centered (so the page is in the center at different resolutions) the layer won't follow the table cell's properties, or will it?

    (Here would be an example I'm reffering to; [url]http://www.milonic.co.uk/menu/menusample.php?sampleid=16[/url] use the link from the floating menu on the left "Open In Iframe". What exactly is that frame? A table cell, or a layout layer?)

    Thanks.

    soflaimports webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    Meanwhile from the source of the page I found out that the code for that frame looks something like this;

    <iframe width=100% height=200 id=tempiframe src=""></iframe>

    What exactly is this iframe? Anyone know?

    Thanks again.

    soflaimports webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    Hmz.. I didnt know that murray,
    but what do you use then for something like this if you want it to work anywhere?

    soflaimports, no it will not exactly stick to that same spot, so as murray says entering through CSS would be the best way to go then, unless someone has a different option. I am going to look into the crolling table right now to figure it out :)
    And about the iframe, have heard of it but never looked into it...

    Robert Jansen
    mrjansuh Guest

  8. #8

    mrjansuh:
    > but what do you use then for something like this if you want it to work
    anywhere?

    If I must have scrolling then I would either use an IFrame (ptui) or dHTML
    scroller (ptui). The latter method will work reliably.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Hmz.. I didnt know that murray,
    > but what do you use then for something like this if you want it to work
    anywhere?

    > soflaimports, no it will not exactly stick to that same spot, so as murray
    says entering through CSS would be the best way to go then, unless someone
    has a different option. I am going to look into the crolling table right now
    to figure it out :)
    > And about the iframe, have heard of it but never looked into it...
    >
    > Robert Jansen

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  9. #9

    Lightbulb Re: Adding scrollbar to a table

    Here the coding.

    Enjoy

    Quote Originally Posted by soflaimports webforumsusermacromedia.com View Post
    I'm trying to create a table with a scrollbar when the text overflows the table. However, it never worked for me using CSS. Can someone list the procedures to make it work? Thanks.
    Unregistered Guest