Professional Web Applications Themes

Adding SMP support in Slackware 9.1 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi folks, I know Slackware 9.1 has no 'outta the box' kernel which supports SMP, but if I copy the configured 2.4.22 kernel source in /usr/src to another directory, and simply 'make gconfig' and add smp support, then compile and boot from it's bzImage, will all work the same, except having smp support? Just curious. I wasn't sure if SMP support removed anything else, or if I'd have to make other changes if I enabled SMP support in the stock, bare kernel which comes with Slackware 9.1. Thanks, Alex...

  1. #1

    Default Adding SMP support in Slackware 9.1

    Hi folks,

    I know Slackware 9.1 has no 'outta the box' kernel which supports SMP,
    but if I copy the configured 2.4.22 kernel source in /usr/src to
    another directory, and simply 'make gconfig' and add smp support, then
    compile and boot from it's bzImage, will all work the same, except
    having smp support? Just curious. I wasn't sure if SMP support
    removed anything else, or if I'd have to make other changes if I
    enabled SMP support in the stock, bare kernel which comes with
    Slackware 9.1.

    Thanks,

    Alex
    Alex Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adding SMP support in Slackware 9.1

    Alex wrote:

    Why would you make a copy of the source tree? Don't do that. If you've
    compiled a custom kernel, just put a copy of the .config file in a safe
    place outside the source tree. Then, if you need to restore your
    configuration, 'make mrproper,' copy .config back into the tree, and 'make
    oldconfig' will restore your old configuration.

    If you're using a stock kernel and haven't compiled a kernel on the source
    tree, the source is not configured. Get the config file for your stock
    kernel from your install source.
    Copy config to usr/src/linux-2.4.22/.config
    Edit .config, CONFIG_SMP=y
    Now, read the help on CONFIG_SMP in /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/Doentation
    Configure.help. It will tell you what else you need to change in .config
    Finally, do 'make oldconfig' and continue building the new kernel.

    --
    Old Man
    Old Guest

  3. #3

    In <alt.os.linux.slackware> Alex <com> wrote:

    You shouldn't need to change any other things. Just enable SMP, and
    compile. No need to copy the source.
    cd /usr/src/linux
    cp /boot/config .config
    make menuconfig dep
    make bzImage modules
    make bzlilo modules_install
    reboot
    --
    William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <ca>
    William Guest

  4. #4

    On 24 Nov 2003 08:01:23 GMT
    William Park <ca> wrote:

    If he is using LILO for his boot loader, he must also run /sbin/lilo
    before rebooting (and after installing the new kernel and its modules).

    Kostas
    -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

    Konstantinos Guest

  5. #5

    "William Park" <ca> wrote:

    Please be aware that all the modules should be recompiled. Unfortunately
    "make modules" isn't enough. The alsa modules is not part of the kernel
    source, they will also have to be recompiled. Then the DRI modules used
    by Slackware 9.1 is not the ones that comes with kernel 2.4.22 but the
    ones that came from XFree86 4.3.0.

    I have made a custom Slackware installation CD which run SMP out of the
    installation CD. This also meant that I had to replace the modules on
    network.dsk and initrd.img. I think that I'm getting to know this now...

    First I realized I needed SMP. Compiled a new kernel, built custom
    packages with kernel modules, alsa modules and DRI modules. Then replaced
    modules on network.dsk and initrd.img.

    Then I realized that some machines would need support for memory up to 4
    GB. The hard way I found out that I once again had to replace also the
    modules.

    Last I realized that SMP only isn't enough for hyperthreading. I also
    needed ACPI. Once again recompile all modules, make packages and replace
    them on the installation media... I'm not really sure if this is
    necessary, at first I tried to run withot new modules, but after some
    days a machine hung and I guess that the modules is the cause of this.

    I hope that I won't find any more lacking features in my kernel...

    regards Henrik
    hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    se ee rootlocalhost
    Henrik Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:36:22 +0000, Konstantinos Peletidis wrote:

    > If he is using LILO for his boot loader, he must also run /sbin/lilo
    > before rebooting (and after installing the new kernel and its modules).[/ref]

    Thats what he was told to do, "make bzlilo" altho' i do not recomend this
    to anyone as if your new kernel fails your system may not boot at all,
    however thats not the issue here.
    The most important issues have been adreesed in another mail.

    --
    If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
    try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

    Regards Richard
    nl
    http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

    Richard Guest

  7. #7

    Alex wrote:

    Check out the smp how-to at www.tldp.org.
    It explains the options (yes, there are more than one) that need to be
    set to get a proper SMP kernel.

    HTH

    David Guest

  8. #8

    "Henrik Carlqvist" <com> wrote in message news:<bptkob$1s84sd$news.uni-berlin.de>...

    > Please be aware that all the modules should be recompiled. Unfortunately
    > "make modules" isn't enough. The alsa modules is not part of the kernel
    > source, they will also have to be recompiled. Then the DRI modules used
    > by Slackware 9.1 is not the ones that comes with kernel 2.4.22 but the
    > ones that came from XFree86 4.3.0.
    >
    > I have made a custom Slackware installation CD which run SMP out of the
    > installation CD. This also meant that I had to replace the modules on
    > network.dsk and initrd.img. I think that I'm getting to know this now...
    >
    > First I realized I needed SMP. Compiled a new kernel, built custom
    > packages with kernel modules, alsa modules and DRI modules. Then replaced
    > modules on network.dsk and initrd.img.
    >
    > Then I realized that some machines would need support for memory up to 4
    > GB. The hard way I found out that I once again had to replace also the
    > modules.
    >
    > Last I realized that SMP only isn't enough for hyperthreading. I also
    > needed ACPI. Once again recompile all modules, make packages and replace
    > them on the installation media... I'm not really sure if this is
    > necessary, at first I tried to run withot new modules, but after some
    > days a machine hung and I guess that the modules is the cause of this.
    >
    > I hope that I won't find any more lacking features in my kernel...
    >
    > regards Henrik[/ref]

    Hi Henrik,

    How did you get the ALSA modules setup with SMP enabled in the kernel?
    This is getting beyond my range of knowledge with Linux, but this is
    a perfect project to learn :)

    I just did some research and found the following site:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+Labs&card=Soundblast er+Live&chip=EMU10K1&module=emu10k1

    I'll be trying this out tonight and see if it works. When I do lsmod,
    I do have emu10k1-gp listed, which is for the game port, but not the
    one for sound, which I assume is just emu10k1. So, hopfully with the
    help of the above site, I'll have sound very soon under SMP. Oh, and
    I have a Creative Labs Live Value in this box.

    Thanks again for the comments and any more light you can shead on
    this...

    Alex.
    Alex Guest

  9. #9

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:52:33 -0500, David Filion wrote:
     [/ref]

    MadPenguin.org has a pretty good walk-through in their HOWTO section

    bb
    bob Guest

  10. #10

    "Alex" <com> wrote: [/ref]

    Alsa was the easy part.... The sources for alsa-driver is included in one
    of the Slackware CDs. There is also a file called something like
    alsa-driver.build, a script that is good to study. The most useful part of
    that script is the options given to configure.

    When you run configure it will say something like "SMP=yes", but only if
    you have a kernel compiled for SMP. So before you can run configure in the
    alsa directory you should go to /usr/src/linux and run "make xconfig; make
    dep; make bzImage" so you have an arch/i386/boot/bzImage with SMP support.

    You won't have to download anything if you have all the Slackware CDs. The
    source for ALSA is no CD 3 or CD 4.

    So far hotplug has automatically loaded the right drivers for sound on
    every machine I have installed Slackware 9.1. Hotplug really makes life a
    lot easier!

    If you also use DRI that is a lot trickier. There is source included on a
    CD, but that seems to be an old source which doesn't match the modules
    used by Slack 9.1. I downloaded the source for XFree86 4.3.0 and compiled
    the DRI modules from that source.

  11. #11

    David Filion <ca> wrote in message news:<OBywb.53023$videotron.net>...

    > Check out the smp how-to at www.tldp.org.
    > It explains the options (yes, there are more than one) that need to be
    > set to get a proper SMP kernel.
    >
    > HTH[/ref]

    Hi folks,

    I can compile the 2.4.22 kernel and get SMP support... both processors
    work great. Problem is, each time I recompile, I loose other
    functions. Either sound, network, or both quit working. And I
    haven't even tested USB or anything else yet.

    I first simply enabled SMP and recompiled, and no sound at all...
    alsaconf couldn't find my sound card. I then reinstalling all the
    alsa tgz's from the CD's and it did find my sound card, but I got
    kernel errors or hard freezes each time I tried to do any audio. I'm
    guessing the ALSA modules aren't setup for dual processor.

    The only way to get things back on track were to recompile with the
    original .config and boot form the kernel which came with Slackware
    9.1... and all works fine now. My next attempt will be 2.6.0 and see
    if it works. I did try this on my laptop, but 2.6.0 never would
    start my PCMCIA bus properly... so no network suppor there. Hopefully
    I'll have better luck on my desktop with it.

    I'm just suprised that Slackware doesn't have a precompiled kernel
    with SMP support. But has ANYONE gotten an SMP kernel compiled on
    Slackware 9.1 and then have ALSA/audio and the network card work???
    If so, how??

    Thanks again.

    Alex.
    Alex Guest

  12. #12

    Alex wrote:

    Slackware's stock kernels used to be compiled with SMP support. There was a
    lot of debate about the effect on single-processor performance, and Patrick
    shifted to single-processor stock kernels.

    Have you tried, as Henrik suggested?:

    1) Configure the source for SMP and compile an SMP kernel,
    then
    2) Recompile alsa against the SMP-configured kernel source

    --
    Old Man
    Old Guest