Professional Web Applications Themes

Adding Truetype Fonts - Ubuntu

I'm following a procedure outlined in the Wiki that supposedly tells how to install Windows fonts in Linux and have run into a problem of how to tell Linux that another font library is available. The instructions say to edit file "/etc/X11/xfs/config (or /etc/X11/fs/config) by adding the new directory following "catalog=". I cannot find such a file in my installation can anyone give me a clue? (The basic idea is to move the .ttf files to a subdirectory and then connect that subdirectory as shown above.)...

  1. #1

    Default Adding Truetype Fonts

    I'm following a procedure outlined in the Wiki that supposedly tells how
    to install Windows fonts in Linux and have run into a problem of how to
    tell Linux that another font library is available. The instructions say
    to edit file "/etc/X11/xfs/config (or /etc/X11/fs/config) by adding the
    new directory following "catalog=". I cannot find such a file in my
    installation can anyone give me a clue?

    (The basic idea is to move the .ttf files to a subdirectory and then
    connect that subdirectory as shown above.)

    Tom Clydesdale Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adding Truetype Fonts

    * Tom Clydesdale wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > I'm following a procedure outlined in the Wiki that supposedly tells how
    > to install Windows fonts in Linux and have run into a problem of how to
    > tell Linux that another font library is available. The instructions say
    > to edit file "/etc/X11/xfs/config (or /etc/X11/fs/config) by adding the
    > new directory following "catalog=". I cannot find such a file in my
    > installation can anyone give me a clue?
    > (The basic idea is to move the .ttf files to a subdirectory and then
    > connect that subdirectory as shown above.)
    Try just putting the fonts in ~/.fonts/

    Create if it does not exist.

    --
    David

    --
    David
    Debian Hint #1: You can report a bug in a package with the 'reportbug'

  3. #3

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:55:52 -0700, Tom Clydesdale wrote:
    > I'm following a procedure outlined in the Wiki that supposedly tells how
    > to install Windows fonts in Linux and have run into a problem of how to
    > tell Linux that another font library is available. The instructions say
    > to edit file "/etc/X11/xfs/config (or /etc/X11/fs/config) by adding the
    > new directory following "catalog=". I cannot find such a file in my
    > installation can anyone give me a clue?
    >
    > (The basic idea is to move the .ttf files to a subdirectory and then
    > connect that subdirectory as shown above.)
    I'm still struggling with this; made the following discoveries and still
    at a loss:

    1. Discovered and ran Automatrix which added some of the fonts I need but
    not all of them.
    2. Found the file "/var/lib/defoma/s-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    where the Automatrix update placed the .ttf files which worked.
    3. Copied the three remaining .ttf files into that directory to no avail
    (OOo2 still cannot seem to find them). I cannot determine where the
    configuration/index file is located that makes these files available
    ("/etc/X11/xorg.conf" refers to this location but doesn't direct program
    access evidently).

    Does anyone have knowledge or ideas how this problem could be resolved?
    TIA

    Does anyone

    Anyone

    Tom Clydesdale Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:45:48 -0700, Tom Clydesdale wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:55:52 -0700, Tom Clydesdale wrote:
    >
    >> I'm following a procedure outlined in the Wiki that supposedly tells how
    >> to install Windows fonts in Linux and have run into a problem of how to
    >> tell Linux that another font library is available. The instructions say
    >> to edit file "/etc/X11/xfs/config (or /etc/X11/fs/config) by adding the
    >> new directory following "catalog=". I cannot find such a file in my
    >> installation can anyone give me a clue?
    >>
    >> (The basic idea is to move the .ttf files to a subdirectory and then
    >> connect that subdirectory as shown above.)
    >
    > I'm still struggling with this; made the following discoveries and still
    > at a loss:
    >
    > 1. Discovered and ran Automatrix which added some of the fonts I need but
    > not all of them.
    > 2. Found the file "/var/lib/defoma/s-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    > where the Automatrix update placed the .ttf files which worked.
    > 3. Copied the three remaining .ttf files into that directory to no avail
    > (OOo2 still cannot seem to find them). I cannot determine where the
    > configuration/index file is located that makes these files available
    > ("/etc/X11/xorg.conf" refers to this location but doesn't direct program
    > access evidently).
    >
    > Does anyone have knowledge or ideas how this problem could be resolved?
    > TIA

    Finally found the correct location "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts"
    Apparantly any font copied to that location becomes available to Open
    Office at least.

    Tom Clydesdale Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:45:48 -0700, Tom Clydesdale wrote:
    > Does anyone have knowledge or ideas how this problem could be resolved?
    > TIA

    I've added a ton of fonts myself and OOo sees them. Here's what I did.

    Put the fonts in a folder inside /usr/share/fonts/truetype and then ran
    'sudo fc-cache -f -v' which rebuilds the font cache. Try that. If you
    have any issues, check that the permission on the files font files and
    folders are 755. Another idea would be to add the path to xorg.conf
    (though in my xorg the path is not listed and it works fine still).

    --
    Chuck
    Chuck Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:34:37 -0800, Chuck wrote:

    Something I didn't realize... To see what fonts are available you can
    type fonts:// in the nautilus address bar. Once all the thumbnails are
    rendered it can be used to quickly find a desired font.

    --
    Chuck
    Chuck Guest

  7. #7

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:17:23 -0800, Chuck wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:34:37 -0800, Chuck wrote:
    >
    > Something I didn't realize... To see what fonts are available you can
    > type fonts:// in the nautilus address bar. Once all the thumbnails are
    > rendered it can be used to quickly find a desired font.
    Great tip, thanks for sharing it!

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994