Professional Web Applications Themes

adding users to different groups - Mac Programming

Hi group, I need to add a user (myself) to a group he doesn't belong to by default. On most unices I do edit the group file and voila. On the MacOSX I tried the NIManager but the results are rather unpromissing. I found the group I am interested in ("operator"), found the "Users" key and added my login after the root. No difference noticed (even after reboot)... Any clues? Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default adding users to different groups

    Hi group,

    I need to add a user (myself) to a group he doesn't belong to by
    default. On most unices I do edit the group file and voila.

    On the MacOSX I tried the NIManager but the results are rather
    unpromissing. I found the group I am interested in ("operator"), found
    the "Users" key and added my login after the root. No difference noticed
    (even after reboot)...

    Any clues?

    Thanks in advance.

    Patryk 'Silver Dream !' Łogiewa Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: adding users to different groups

    "Patryk 'Silver Dream !' ?ogiewa" <silverdrinet.remove.it.pl> wrote:
    > Hi group,
    > I need to add a user (myself) to a group he doesn't belong to by
    > default. On most unices I do edit the group file and voila.
    > On the MacOSX I tried the NIManager but the results are rather
    > unpromissing. I found the group I am interested in ("operator"), found
    > the "Users" key and added my login after the root. No difference noticed
    > (even after reboot)...
    I think that's all you have to do. Did you follow the format used in other
    groups for multiple members? Make sure you seperate the login names with a
    comma and a space.

    --
    *--------------------------------------------------------*
    | ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |

  3. #3

    Heath Raftery wrote:
    >>I need to add a user (myself) to a group he doesn't belong to by
    >>default. On most unices I do edit the group file and voila.
    >

    >>On the MacOSX I tried the NIManager but the results are rather
    >>unpromissing. I found the group I am interested in ("operator"), found
    >>the "Users" key and added my login after the root. No difference noticed
    >>(even after reboot)...
    >

    > I think that's all you have to do. Did you follow the format used in other
    > groups for multiple members? Make sure you seperate the login names with a
    > comma and a space.

    I did exactly like that. I separated the entries with a comma and a
    space. Didn't help, but from your clue I found out how to make it work
    by examining all the other groups in search of one with more users. One
    has to "insert value" instead of editing the existing "Users" value. I
    removed the previous changes and inserted the new value. After
    logout-login it started to work as expected. Thanks.

    Patryk 'Silver Dream !' Łogiewa Guest

  4. #4

    In article <3f375c95$1news.inet.com.pl>,
    "Patryk 'Silver Dream !' ?ogiewa" <silverdrinet.remove.it.pl> wrote:
    > Heath Raftery wrote:
    > >>I need to add a user (myself) to a group he doesn't belong to by
    > >>default. On most unices I do edit the group file and voila.
    > >

    > >>On the MacOSX I tried the NIManager but the results are rather
    > >>unpromissing. I found the group I am interested in ("operator"), found
    > >>the "Users" key and added my login after the root. No difference noticed
    > >>(even after reboot)...
    > >

    > > I think that's all you have to do. Did you follow the format used in other
    > > groups for multiple members? Make sure you seperate the login names with a
    > > comma and a space.
    > >

    > I did exactly like that. I separated the entries with a comma and a
    > space. Didn't help, but from your clue I found out how to make it work
    > by examining all the other groups in search of one with more users. One
    > has to "insert value" instead of editing the existing "Users" value. I
    > removed the previous changes and inserted the new value. After
    > logout-login it started to work as expected. Thanks.
    Ah, of course! Makes perfect sense, now that I'm in front of my OS X
    machine. I'm glad my potential bum-steer advice helped you out!

    I think you should be able to use the Management->Restart Local NetInfo
    Domains menu option instead of logout/login to cause your changes to set.

    --
    Heath
    | *Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool* |