Professional Web Applications Themes

ADI Soundmax 1881 (intel chipset) w/ ALSA Drivers - Debian

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:57:22AM -0500, Michael Kahle wrote: > Greetings fellow Debianites, > > Sorry, this may be a little long winded. For the past couple of days I have > been trying off and on to get the ALSA drivers setup on my Woody box. <Big SNIP> > Now when I launch XMMS as a user, trying to play a mp3 brings up the > message: > Please check that: > 1. You have the correct output plug-in selected > 2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard > 3. Your soundcard is configured properly > ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: ADI Soundmax 1881 (intel chipset) w/ ALSA Drivers

    On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:57:22AM -0500, Michael Kahle wrote:
    > Greetings fellow Debianites,
    >
    > Sorry, this may be a little long winded. For the past couple of days I have
    > been trying off and on to get the ALSA drivers setup on my Woody box.
    <Big SNIP>
    > Now when I launch XMMS as a user, trying to play a mp3 brings up the
    > message:
    > Please check that:
    > 1. You have the correct output plug-in selected
    > 2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
    > 3. Your soundcard is configured properly
    >
    > Now when I run XMMS as root, it works just fine, plays my music just fine.
    >
    > Is this a permissions issue with the sound card device(s)? If so, what is
    > the best (read most secure) way to enable access for my user account?
    If it works as root, I'd say with some confidence that the drivers
    *work* and it's a permission problem or xmms config problem or such.

    Have you added your user account to the group "audio" yet?
    * Note that being added to a group only takes effect on the
    next login (ie, if you're already logged in as that user, you'll
    need to log out completely and then log back in).

    If that doesn't do it, take a look at what output plugin you're using
    (as per the error message)...
    > Any ideas why make-kpkg kernel-image does not work correctly with my
    > Ethernet card? (I realize this is a different post entirely, just thought I
    > would bring it up.)
    Nope, I'm afraid I haven't got a clue on that issue.

    > -ScruLoose- | Oh, America my friend / And so once again <
    > Please do not | You are fighting us all / And when we ask you why<
    > reply off-list. | You raise your sticks and cry and we fall <
    > | - Joni Mitchell <

    ScruLoose Guest

  2. #2

    On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:57:22AM -0500, Michael Kahle wrote:
    > Now when I launch XMMS as a user, trying to play a mp3 brings up the
    > message:
    > Please check that:
    > 1. You have the correct output plug-in selected
    > 2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
    > 3. Your soundcard is configured properly
    > Now when I run XMMS as root, it works just fine, plays my music just fine.
    > Is this a permissions issue with the sound card device(s)? If so, what is
    > the best (read most secure) way to enable access for my user account?
    Try:
    chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi
    add yourself to the "audio" group under /etc/group -- mine looks like
    this: audio:x:29:emmajane,root
    instructions from:
    [url]http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=ALi&card=M1535%2CM1535D%2CM1 535%2B%2CM1535D%2B&chip=M5451&module=ali5451[/url]

    I was getting that error message. Ulimately I'm not convinced I'd actually
    installed the (correct) ALSA modules. But since you *can* play music as
    root your problem might be somewhat easier to solve.
    > Any ideas why make-kpkg kernel-image does not work correctly with my
    > Ethernet card? (I realize this is a different post entirely, just thought I
    > would bring it up.)
    I use wireless, so it may be a slightly different problem; however, for
    some reason make-kpkg found an old version of the pcmcia source and used
    out-dated modules. It took me SEVERAL tries to get everything in the right
    order. I was also configuring for my graphics card (nvidia) for a total
    of: nvidia, pcmcia and alsa as seperate modules. Plus all the things that
    are in my kernel as modules (i.e. soundcore).

    Instead of just relying on --append-to-version I actually (re)moved
    the /lib/modules/<kernel> directory and then did modules_install again.
    (Let me know if you want that in a non-short hand version.)

    emma

    --
    Emma Jane Hogbin
    [[ 416 417 2868 ][ [url]www.xtrinsic.com[/url] ]]

    Emma Jane Hogbin Guest

  3. #3

    Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
    > Try:
    > chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi
    > add yourself to the "audio" group under /etc/group -- mine looks
    like
    > this: audio:x:29:emmajane,root
    > instructions from:
    [url]http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=ALi&card=[/url]
    M1535%2CM1535D%2CM1535%2B%2CM1535D%2B&chip=M5451&m odule=ali5451

    This worked perfectly. Thanks. I did already have myself added to that
    group, I did not know that you have to log in and then log out in order to
    notify the OS that you are now part of a group.
    Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
    > I use wireless, so it may be a slightly different problem; however, for
    some
    > reason make-kpkg found an old version of the pcmcia source and used
    out-dated
    > modules. It took me SEVERAL tries to get everything in the right order. I
    was
    > also configuring for my graphics card (nvidia) for a total of: nvidia,
    pcmcia
    > and alsa as seperate modules. Plus all the things that are in my kernel as
    > modules (i.e. soundcore).
    >
    > Instead of just relying on --append-to-version I actually (re)moved the
    > /lib/modules/<kernel> directory and then did modules_install again. (Let
    me
    > know if you want that in a non-short hand version.)
    I am not sure what you mean by the "--append-to-version" comment, I am going
    to assume that this is something that make-kpkg does automatically? When I
    built my kernel I did have to rename the /lib/modules/<kernel> directory
    before I ran modules_install, but remember this is a kernel built the
    "classic" way and --_not_ the "Debian" way. So if make-kpkg should do this
    automatically, is it broke on something?

    Michael

    Michael Kahle Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 09:30:06AM -0500, Michael Kahle wrote:
    > This worked perfectly. Thanks. I did already have myself added to that
    > group, I did not know that you have to log in and then log out in order to
    > notify the OS that you are now part of a group.
    Great!!
    > I am not sure what you mean by the "--append-to-version" comment, I am going
    > to assume that this is something that make-kpkg does automatically? When I
    > built my kernel I did have to rename the /lib/modules/<kernel> directory
    > before I ran modules_install, but remember this is a kernel built the
    > "classic" way and --_not_ the "Debian" way. So if make-kpkg should do this
    > automatically, is it broke on something?
    Ah, I didn't realize you weren't doing things The Debian Way. In this case
    it's extra important that you remember to *delete* or otherwise move the
    /lib/modules directory that's created when you compile your kernel. If you
    don't you *may* end up not having the new modules put into the directory.
    This happened to me several times when I was trying to get my wireless
    card working--without deleting the directory the old drivers weren't
    overwritten when I compiled a new kernel.

    Hope that helps,
    emma