Professional Web Applications Themes

Adjusting for over exposure - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hello everyone .... it's me again (still) ;-) I have a load of digital photos taken during a hike a week ago sunday and the sun was very uncoopertative not to mention the fog cap on the headland we were hiking across provided for some very interesting shots of mist through the the tall evergreens. Problem is many of the shots are just toooo exposed. I'm thinking now perhaps I had some settings on the digital camera I should have paid attention to (landscape vs portrait mode etc) and perhaps selecting my own iso settings instead of the 'stock' auto ...

  1. #1

    Default Adjusting for over exposure

    Hello everyone .... it's me again (still) ;-)

    I have a load of digital photos taken during a hike a week ago sunday and the sun was very uncoopertative not to mention the fog cap on the headland we were hiking across provided for some very interesting shots of mist through the the tall evergreens. Problem is many of the shots are just toooo exposed.

    I'm thinking now perhaps I had some settings on the digital camera I should have paid attention to (landscape vs portrait mode etc) and perhaps selecting my own iso settings instead of the 'stock' auto setting.

    My questions:
    1. Can you give me tips on unwashing a washed out photo.

    2. Any hints on the value of customizing the cameras settings prior to shooting?
    buz Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Adjusting for over exposure

    Removed by Administrator
    Chuck Snyder Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    buz,
    It's worth mentioning that it's better to have a slightly underexposed image than an overexposed image. You can pull details out of an underexposed image, but you can never get details back from an overexposed area. Foggy scenes are tricky because all that bright fog messes with the camera's automatic metering.
    Eric
    Eric Matthes Guest

  4. #4

    Chuck - after reading your suggestion I browsed through the camera (not the first time but with more attention) and found the 'exposure setings' - as well as a host of other items I will want to pay attention to. Any idea whether there's a website that may more clearly define some of the settings for these cameras. For instance, choosing between AF, spot and macro - of course macro speaks for itself but what of the other two - how does the novice know what to choose?

    Eric - Thank you too for the under/over exposed bit - makes perfect sense. I see you caught my reference to the "bright' day along with the 'fog' rolling in and out. It was a beautiful day and to some degree caught alot of it on 'pixels'.

    I experimented with iMovie and iDVD and created a DVD slideshow of the hike complete with classical guitar accompaniment, credits and some PSE pizzazz. Still need to learn more about image resolution and 33" TV screens though. <grin>

    Thanks to all you folks - you're really great.
    buz Guest

  5. #5

    Buz, adjustments are so camera-dependent that it's almost always a good idea
    to read the owner's manual thoroughly and then head off to the DP forum for
    the particular brand with remaining questions. For instance, on my camera,
    spot refers to the metering point for exposure and may also refer to the
    type of focus control, AF is auto focus (which is has several different
    modes, including 'spot) and macro is a repositioning of the lens elements
    allowing close focus. So my guess is that in your case they all refer to a
    type of focus setting as opposed to light metering, but I couldn't be sure.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    Buz,
    OT but are you a classical guitarist? Not too many around!
    Eric (I have dabbled)
    Eric Matthes Guest

  7. #7

    No Eric - actually I have never handled a guitar, I used stock music - I can listen to it for hours and to watch a good classical guitarist is amazing. I also mixed in a little Flamenco.
    buz Guest

  8. #8

    Chuck - I have been through the manual rather diligently, but I find it a little sparce not to mention awkward. Thanks for the DP tip.
    buz Guest