Professional Web Applications Themes

Administration Tools - MySQL

Hello, I've been using mySql for a couple of years now. I was wondering about administration tools that use people out there. I have read many tutorials on the web introducing how to install PHPmyadmin. Phpmyadmin is a good and a very well done PHP frontend for Mysql, but come on, I don't understand the point to make install such tool when you are not working with mysql along with a webserver and php dev. So why people are explaining how to install PHP myadmin and tool like easyPHP just to devollop a java j2se software with jdbc connectivity for ...

  1. #1

    Default Administration Tools

    Hello,

    I've been using mySql for a couple of years now.
    I was wondering about administration tools that use people out there.

    I have read many tutorials on the web introducing how to install
    PHPmyadmin.
    Phpmyadmin is a good and a very well done PHP frontend for Mysql, but
    come on, I don't understand the point to make install such tool when
    you are not working with mysql along with a webserver and php dev.
    So why people are explaining how to install PHP myadmin and tool like
    easyPHP just to devollop a java j2se software with jdbc connectivity
    for database and any webserver on the project.
    Ok I don't want to generalise that everyone is using PHPmyadmin, but
    many tutorials,
    while there are other tools out there, for instance:

    -MySql Administrator which is free and provided by Mysql theirself,
    and have just discovered SQLyog who seems to also provide a good free
    version.

    So what is your prefered tools to administrale your Mysql database.

    Again, PHPmyadmin is a great tool, and I have used it for a long time,
    the point is just that if you don't need any web developpent and more
    specificly PHP, I think that their are other very good tools out there.

    Romain

    romain.alnet@gmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Administration Tools

    [email]romain.alnet[/email] wrote:

    > I've been using mySql for a couple of years now.
    > I was wondering about administration tools that use people out there.
    >
    > I have read many tutorials on the web introducing how to install
    > PHPmyadmin.
    > Phpmyadmin is a good and a very well done PHP frontend for Mysql, but
    > come on, I don't understand the point to make install such tool when
    > you are not working with mysql along with a webserver and php dev.
    IMHO the main reason for the popularity of phpMyAdmin is the fact that
    most hosting providers do not give command line access to their users
    and also disallow access to MySQL from everywhere except from the
    webserver. If those users need a database administration tool they most
    naturally end with phpMyAdmin.

    OTOH phpMyAdmin (and probably every other web based tool) would not be
    my first choice for such a tool:

    1. there have been countless problems with phpMyAdmin modifying query
    strings (so the same query - from the users point - behaves differently
    if executed from within phpMyAdmin compared to the MySQL CLI)

    2. there have been countless issues with phpMyAdmin modifying character
    set settings. Queries deliver broken umlauts from within phpMyAdmin but
    work when used from other PHP scripts.

    3. PHP scripts suffer serious restrictions in terms of memory and/or
    cpu time consumtion. So if the database becomes bigger, phpMyAdmin
    users experience failures in backup/restore operations etc.

    > So what is your prefered tools to administrale your Mysql database.
    I personally do nearly anything with the CLI tools: mysql, mysqldump,
    mysqladmin. Those tools work on local and remote servers, are fast,
    easy and simple.

    I know some people dislike the CLI but there is big choice in GUI tools
    as well. From MySQL AB you can have Query Browser and Workbench. Also
    there are TOAD, Navicat, SQLyog and countless more tools (google for
    "mysql gui admin tool"). Problem: in most cases one wants to run those
    tools on the local workstation but connect to remote MySQL server.

    If one has SSH connection to the remote host, the best solution to
    connect to the MySQL server is to use a SSH tunnel. This is explained
    on many websites. Again, Google is your friend.

    XL

    Online User Manual: [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/[/url]
    MySQL User Forums: [url]http://forums.mysql.com/[/url]
    Axel Schwenke Guest

  3. #3

    Hello Axel,

    Thanks for sharing this interesting ysis and point of view.
    In fact, one of the ideas behind my question, was
    what makes a tool more popular than others???
    And in a way you answer to this point for the Mysql tools(which is the
    topic here ^^),

    Thanks,

    Romain

  4. #4

    So, you prefer not use the tools you yourself develop! ;-)

    strawberry Guest

  5. #5

    [email]romain.alnet[/email] wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been using mySql for a couple of years now.
    > I was wondering about administration tools that use people out there.
    >
    > I have read many tutorials on the web introducing how to install
    > PHPmyadmin.
    > Phpmyadmin is a good and a very well done PHP frontend for Mysql, but
    > come on, I don't understand the point to make install such tool when
    > you are not working with mysql along with a webserver and php dev.
    > So why people are explaining how to install PHP myadmin and tool like
    > easyPHP just to devollop a java j2se software with jdbc connectivity
    > for database and any webserver on the project.
    > Ok I don't want to generalise that everyone is using PHPmyadmin, but
    > many tutorials,
    > while there are other tools out there, for instance:
    >
    > -MySql Administrator which is free and provided by Mysql theirself,
    > and have just discovered SQLyog who seems to also provide a good free
    > version.
    >
    > So what is your prefered tools to administrale your Mysql database.
    >
    > Again, PHPmyadmin is a great tool, and I have used it for a long time,
    > the point is just that if you don't need any web developpent and more
    > specificly PHP, I think that their are other very good tools out there.
    >
    > Romain

    I like PhpMyAdmin for some things, even when I do have command line access to
    the machine (I have VPS's, so I can set them up any way I wish).

    There are definite advantages of being able to use a web based tool over a
    command line one. For instance, maybe the row is much wider than I can display
    in the window. A web based tool will give me a horizontal scroll bar; a CLI
    won't. It can also be easier to modify complex queries, for instance. And you
    can quickly see the structure of your table(s) and more easily modify that
    structure. The list goes on and on.

    I haven't had any problems with changing the cht on me. Of course, you need
    to be running the latest version, and set the cht you're using for the
    connection. The default may not be what you want.

    And yes, I know how to use the CLI tools. I've been using them since I started
    with DB2 in the '80's. I can and still use them for some things. But the GUI
    just makes things easier, IMHO.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  6. #6

    > -MySql Administrator which is free and provided by Mysql theirself,
    > and have just discovered SQLyog who seems to also provide a good free
    > version.
    >
    > So what is your prefered tools to administrale your Mysql database.
    I use "Database Workbench", but hey, that's my companies product :-)

    I also use it, because it supports multiple database systems:
    MySQL, Firebird, Microsoft SQL Server, InterBase, Oracle and NexusDB

    All from a single consistent environment and it includes
    cross-database-engine
    compare and migration tools.

    --
    Martijn Tonies