Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe 4.05 and Word 97 on XP - Adobe Acrobat Windows

I have been using Adobe Acrobat 4.05 and Word 97 to convert doents to PDF on a PC running Windows 98 for the last few years. Recently I received a computer upgrade and am now running XP but still have Word 97. I re-installed Acrobat 3.0 and my 4.05 upgrade that had been working fine before, but now I'm getting the error message "PDFMaker cannot locate the Acrobat Distiller printer driver. Please re-install Adobe Acrobat 4.05." I did reinstall it, and I also tried downloading printer drivers from this site, but I'm still getting this message. Would greatly appreciate any ...

  1. #1

    Default Adobe 4.05 and Word 97 on XP

    I have been using Adobe Acrobat 4.05 and Word 97 to convert doents to PDF on a PC running Windows 98 for the last few years. Recently I received a computer upgrade and am now running XP but still have Word 97. I re-installed Acrobat 3.0 and my 4.05 upgrade that had been working fine before, but now I'm getting the error message "PDFMaker cannot locate the Acrobat Distiller printer driver. Please re-install Adobe Acrobat 4.05." I did reinstall it, and I also tried downloading printer drivers from this site, but I'm still getting this message. Would greatly appreciate any help...
    Don_Darrow@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adobe 4.05 and Word 97 on XP

    Is the message true? That is, do you have the Distiller driver
    (perhaps the most important part of Acrobat)?

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I'm sure I do, since it was all working fine before... but how do I check?
    Don_Darrow@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Printers Control Panel.

  5. #5

    >I'm sure I do, since it was all working fine before...

    Just a minute - you say "all was working fine before" - but surely
    that was before you wiped your disk and installed Windows XP? Or did
    you allow Windows to (shudder) upgrade you from Windows 98 to XP?

  6. #6

    I had a PC running Windows 98 before. It had Office 97 installed, and I had installed Adobe Acrobat 3.0 and the 4.05 upgrade, and was happily using this setup to convert Word doents to PDF.

    Last week I received a new Dell PC with Windows XP. They copied over all my old "My Doents" files, but other than that it's a completely new machine. I'm still using Office 97. I installed the Acrobat 3.0 and 4.05 on this new system (from the same CDs I had used on the old PC). I now have the "Create Adobe PDF" option in my File menu, but when I try to use it, I get the aforementioned error message that it cannot locate the printer driver.
    Don_Darrow@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Ok, that's a good start (I mean, a new machine rather than an update).

    So, now we need to see if Acrobat is right or wrong. Do you see the
    Distiller printer in the printers control panel? The action we take
    depends on that answer so there's no point suggesting any more until
    we know.

  8. #8

    I don't see the word "distiller" in the options; I have "Acrobat PDF Writer" and "Generic PostScript Printer."
    Don_Darrow@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    The fact that Acrobat 4 is not compatible with Windows XP might be the problem.

    You need at least 5.05.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Ouch. That could be a problem. I see on the Adobe site that Acrobat 6.0 Professional is $449, or $149 for the upgrade. Would the upgrade be enough? And can you think of any stopgap in the meantime?
    Don_Darrow@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I believe you can upgrade from 4 to 6, but it might be wise to check with customer services first.

    In the mean time try re-installing Acrobat 4.05.
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Have you tried reinstalling Acrobat since you've installed the Generic Postscript Printer?

    The 4 installation sometimes needed manual assistance installing a PS driver on Windows 2000-based systems.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Since the initial error message said to re-install, I did, but I'm wondering if I should have un-installed it first?
    Don_Darrow@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    While Acrobat 4 isn't compatible, you might be able to get over this
    hurdle, so long as it is version 4.05 (not 4.0).

    Try installing the printer driver "Apple LaserWriter IINTX" with the
    Add Printer icon. Don't make it your default driver, and don't print
    a test page.

    Now reinstall Acrobat 4.05 from CDROM. In some cases, this will pick
    up that driver and use it as the basis of the Distiller driver.

  15. #15

    I just got it to work. Not the simple, seamless process it used to be (it used to all happen within Word where now I have to print it to a .prn file and then distill it manually), but it works. Thanks for everyone's help!
    Don_Darrow@adobeforums.com Guest