Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe Acrobat 4 and distiller problems - Adobe Acrobat Windows

Hello, I'm using Windows 2000 Server / Citrix 1.8 (for Windows 2000 servers) and when acrobat 4 was installed, it neglected to install the distiller drivers for making pdf's through the distiller. This is being used to convert Microsoft Word documents into PDF's. How is this done? I've googled and continued...

  1. #1

    Default Adobe Acrobat 4 and distiller problems

    Hello,

    I'm using Windows 2000 Server / Citrix 1.8 (for Windows 2000 servers) and when acrobat 4 was installed, it neglected to install the distiller drivers for making pdf's through the distiller. This is being used to convert Microsoft Word documents into PDF's. How is this done? I've googled and I haven't found a how-to anywhere.

    Any help is appreciated. :)

    ~Karl
    Mr._Karl@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adobe Acrobat 4 and distiller problems

    Acrobat 4.05c was the first version compatible with Windows 2000.

    I don't believe it was supported for Ctrix/Terminal Services, though.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hello Allen,

    Our organization had initially had acrobat 4 working on the network but wanted to move to Acrobat 6. However, after installing it, it had major problems with the citrix server. So I uninstalled 6, reinstalled 4, and got this distiller error. Any idea where I could get some software documentation for acrobat 4 so I can install the distiller?

  4. #4

    I am also having this problem. I am running Windows XP Professional. I installed Acrobat 5.0 and was not satisfied with the size of the files, I uninstalled 5.0 and reinstalled 4.0 only to find that I can no longer add the Distiller printer. Going through the set up the program claims to be adding the Distiller printer but it does not show up in Printers and Faxes. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    kholcombe@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Try installing another random PostScript printer first.

    I think the Apple LaserWriter II should work, and it's right near the top.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I can install another PostScript printer but this does not accomplish what I require. I am trying to convert a word document by printing it to the Distiller. I would greatly appreciate any advice.
    kholcombe@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    You *can* or you *did*? Install the Apple LaserWriter IINTX printer then reinstall Acrobat. This should create an Acrobat Distiller printer.
    Gary_A.@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I apologize, I must have misunderstood. How do I go about installing another PostScript printer? Previously the set up program would install the Distiller printer automatically.
    kholcombe@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes, then double-click Add Printer. You can choose "file" as the port and don't print the test page. This may or may not work since Acrobat 5.05 was the first version designed to work with XP.
    Gary_A.@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I installed the PostScript printer and then reinstalled Acrobat. Then, when printing to the PostScript printer I installed, I cannot open the converted files in Acrobat. Previously when printing to the Distiller the file would automatically open up in Acrobat. I'm not sure where to go from here. I appreciate your effort.

    Is Acrobat 4.0 not designed to work with XP Pro?
    kholcombe@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I installed the PostScript printer and then reinstalled Acrobat. Then,
    when printing to the PostScript printer I installed, I cannot open the
    converted files in Acrobat.

    Install a PS printer, then re-install Acrobat and use Distiller as before. The purpose of the extra PS printer is to get Windows to load a PS driver, which Distiller needs. You can delete the other PS printer after you install Acrobat, you won't need it anymore.

    Is Acrobat 4.0 not designed to work with XP Pro?

    Acrobat 5.05 was the first version comatible with Windows XP.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    I reinstalled Acrobat but the Distiller does not reappear in Printers and Faxes. Is this because I am using XP perhaps?
    kholcombe@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I reinstalled Acrobat but the Distiller does not reappear in Printers
    and Faxes.

    Just to clarify, you re-installed Acrobat after you installed some other PS printer, right?

    Is this because I am using XP perhaps?

    Perhaps. I've used Acrobat 4.05c on XP before, but I'm fairly lucky.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Correct, unless I made an error in installing the PS printer. I added a local printer using the File port and then selected the Apple LaserWriter IINTX. I then reinstalled Acrobat but the Distiller problem remained the same. I am beginning to lose hope in this version of Acrobat. Any help is still greatly appreciated.
    kholcombe@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Related Question/issue: I installed the PS Driver v5.02 for ditiller and this driver prints a separator page on each document printed. As fas as I can tell there is no option to turn it off. I don't see on Adobe's web site where I can download an older driver suitable for Windows XP that does not have this crazy feature. Any ideas. Thanks in advance for any help.
    MIchael_L_Heyd@adobeforums.com Guest