Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe Acrobat 5.5: Can't convert word docs to pdf despite patch update. - Adobe Acrobat Windows

I am running office xp on windows xp. I have adobe acrobat 5 and then I updated to 5.5 with the patch that allows the little "convert to pdf" icons to word. When I click the icon to convert nothing happens. Just the little hour glass shows up for a split second and that's it. Any suggestions on what might be the problem? ThX! Daniel A....

  1. #1

    Default Adobe Acrobat 5.5: Can't convert word docs to pdf despite patch update.

    Daniel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Are you able to Print to PDF from Word in the usual way?

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Does anyone know if Adobe has finally admitted to the fact that the patch update does not work for Acrobat 5.0.
    I am experiencing the same problem
    I am running Windows XP and Office XP.
    I have installed the the updates for Acrobat 5.0 and
    I am still having a problem printing a word doent
    into a pdf with the PDF button. I can use the distiller to transform a doent into a pdf, but that loses all the funtionality of the bookmarks in the word doent.
    I have went through the forum and I think I have tried all the suggestions.
    Can someone please tell me if they have found a way to make it work.
    Also does the new version of Acrobat writer solve this problem or is it a waste of time and money.
    OBPWIT@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    the patch update does not work for Acrobat 5.0.

    Works for me.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Aandi,

    When I attempt to print via distiller Word will eithe freeze or the print job will result in error.

    Any suggestions guys?

    THX

    D.A.
    Daniel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    >When I attempt to print via distiller Word will eithe freeze or the print job will result in error.

    Ok, have you ever removed Distiller Assistant, Acrobat Assistant or
    AcroTray from your startup?

    Do Ctrl+alt+delete to get a task list. Does it shown any one of those?

  7. #7

    I had the same problem until I put Acrobat Assistant in my Windows Startup Group. For some reason the install didn't create that shortcut to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe". Now it runs fine with Word 2002 and XP Pro.

    See if that helps

    LJB
    Lawrence_Bartel@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    For some reason the install didn't create that shortcut to "C:\Program
    Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe".

    This is one of the things, aong others, that can happen if Acrobat is installed when one does not have administrative rights on the machine.
    Jonathan_H@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    "Ok, have you ever removed Distiller Assistant, Acrobat Assistant or
    AcroTray from your startup?

    Do Ctrl+alt+delete to get a task list. Does it shown any one of those?"

    Aandi,

    I have a small utility tool (system mechanic) and it displayed neither of those progs in my startup. Knowing that, I reinstalled Adobe Acrobat in safe mode which resulted in the distiller driver not installing. I reinstalled in regular mode and that did it.

    I checked my startup and there was Acrobat Assistant.

    Finally, I went back to my word doc and with the click on the Adobe icon was able to convert my word into a pdf.

    Thank you and everyone else for all your help! Great community!

    Daniel Ayala
    Daniel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Hello,

    I am having the same problem with Word freezing when I try to convert a file to pdf. I checked my startup file and Acrobat Assistant is there, but it still will not work. Any other suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Amanda
    Amanda_Engelman@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Well I reinstalled Acrobat 5.0 on a clean system WinXP Pro. Applied the patch to 5.05 and the rest of the patches. The pdf icon is in word. However, it takes 10 times longer to do it on WinXP Pro compared to a Win98 machine running Office XP
    OBPWIT@adobeforums.com Guest