Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0/6.0.1 freezes converting Word Doc - Adobe Acrobat Windows

When I try to convert a MSWord (Word 2000) to pdf the status bar goes about half way, then the Word window goes blank and Acrobat freezes. Following the instructions, I've cleaned out my Temp files, reinstalled Acrobat 6.0, applied Acrobat 6.0.1 (the instructions say to uninstall 6.0 first, but then gives an error message that it can't find it, so I had to reinstall my old version of Acrobat, then reinstall 6.0, then 6.0.1). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Ady Wickstrom [email]awadywickstrom.com[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0/6.0.1 freezes converting Word Doc

    Ady_Wickstrom@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    How are you creating the PDF from Word?
    If you are using the PDFMaker icons then can you print to the Adobe PDF printer to produce a PDF?

    Make sure that you have a process called acrotray.exe running under the task manager.
    Jonathan_H@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for responding - much better response than from Adobe.

    I used the icons in Word (all three) first. I also tried using the Print option with Acrobat as the printer. That reacts a bit differently, but still does not work. It gets to the point of outputting page 4 (last page in this case) and stops running, although the CPU usage continues (memory usage does not seem to change after that point) and the Acrobat symbol in systray spins periodically.

    I downloaded a demo ap from tucows and it worked fine. It would cost me only $10 more to purchase that product than to report a bug to Adobe.

    One thing I did not mention, is that I can't even read pdf files, and the symptoms seemed to match another item in this forum which led to my completely reinstalling last night. The only thing I got out of Adobe's "customer support" is that I hadn't registered the new version which I bought several months ago. The installation process didn't go through the registration process (it did when I had to reinstall V4.0 last night).
    Ady_Wickstrom@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Make sure that you have a process called acrotray.exe running under the
    task manager.

    DO you have this process running?
    Jonathan_H@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    yes
    Ady_Wickstrom@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I have installed a Windows XP computer with Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0.
    I have then written a Windows service with .NET framework,
    running under administration permissions (for test purposes).

    The service just automates the task of printing Crystal Reports reports to pdf, because the export function of crystal doesn't have a few problems with images.
    It just loads a doent and print it to the default printer, which is Acrobat Distiller.
    The printer is set to not show the results on Acrobat and not ask for filename.
    I have also created a new PDF port which points to a folder on my hard drive
    where I want to place the PDF. The printer is using this port.

    Everything works just fine, but everytime the service prints a new doent, a new process acrotray.exe
    is created. At the end of the day the task manager is full of processes and the computer becomes slow.

    When printing test pages the problem doesn't exists, because the process that is already opened is used.

    Does anyone knows why new processes are created when my service prints? How can i solve this problem?

    Thanks all,
    Josť
    Comparte_SI@adobeforums.com Guest