Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe Acrobat working with Word XP/office2003 - Adobe Acrobat Windows

I have a user who whenever he opens word, 2 menus of Adobe PDFand Acrobat comments keep getting added to his menu (where we have File, Edit view etc). So by the time he called me, he had 3 lines of Adobe PDF and Acrobat comments. These 2 keep getting re-generated and can fill up a page if contuniously opened. He uses Adobe Acrobat 6.0 standard, but I heven't seen anyone else with this problem. I've un insstalled Adobe and office XP, but when I re-install I still get the same, I've even upgraded the machine to Office 2003, but ...

  1. #1

    Default Adobe Acrobat working with Word XP/office2003

    I have a user who whenever he opens word, 2 menus of Adobe PDFand Acrobat comments keep getting added to his menu (where we have File, Edit view etc). So by the time he called me, he had 3 lines of Adobe PDF and Acrobat comments. These 2 keep getting re-generated and can fill up a page if contuniously opened. He uses Adobe Acrobat 6.0 standard, but I heven't seen anyone else with this problem. I've un insstalled Adobe and office XP, but when I re-install I still get the same, I've even upgraded the machine to Office 2003, but without success.

    Has any one experienced this, and if so, what is the solution to this?

    Machine is running Windows XP with the latest Service packs.

    Thanks in advance
    Magnet
    lamulamaa@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adobe Acrobat working with Word XP/office2003

    Duplicate menu items is usually a symptom of a macro conflict. Take a quick inventory of the user's system. What files are present in the following folders?

    * C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 11\Startup
    * %AppData%\Microsoft\Word\Startup

    (Note: The second one expands to the currently logged in user, so be sure to check that folder while logged in as the affected user)

    Also, find the answers to these questions:

    * Do other users on the same machine have the same issue?
    * If you log in to his machine, do you see the same behavior?
    * In Word, click Tools > Templates & Addins. What is listed (besides PDFMaker.dot and PDFMakerA.dot, both of which are normal)?
    * Is the user on a roaming profile? Or is his home folder configured to be a network share?

    Nathan
    Nathan_Strong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I seem to recall reading somewhere in these forums that this is caused by the use of a particular e-fax product.

    Has your user any such software installed?

    Arthur
    none@none.com Guest

  4. #4

    I have checked the 1) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 11\Startup and 2) %AppData%\Microsoft\Word\Startup, but on the 1), it was empty, but I remember removing the PDFMaker.dot, which was later cauing the toolbar to miss, but on puting it back, it seems to be there, but keeps ting on the Menu with comments and Adobe PDF. It seems to be very much associated with the Macro Security. If I leave it at very high, somehow it says that the macros have been disabled. But if I leave it at low, it stops adding and the toolbar is present. I checked on the 2), but there was nothing in it.

    Yes, other users like myself experience the same problem.Under Templates and Addins, it only has PDFMaker.dot (ticked) and PDFMakerA.dot(Unticked).

    User does not have roaming profiles, Yes, home folder is on the network.

    Nathan - Users does not havbe any e-fax product.

    Thanks to both of you.

    Any other suggestions?
    lamulamaa@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Try creating a new, local user account with Admin privileges. Does the issue occur on this profile?

  6. #6

    A few other things to check:

    1. Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office.
    * Do you have an Office folder?
    * Do you have an Office 10 folder?
    * Do you have an Office 11 folder?

    2. Open the Office folder(s) you have from the above list.
    * How many of them contain a Startup folder?
    * What is contained in the Startup folder (if present)?

    If you have both an Office 10\Startup and an Office 11\Startup, Acrobat may be detecting both Office XP and Office 2003. Uninstall Acrobat & Office completely, clean out the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office folder completely, then reinstall Office followed by Acrobat.