Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe bought Macromedia. Freehand will die now! - Macromedia Freehand

The news this morning said Adobe bought Macromedia. This will likely be the death fir Freehand. The news mentioned Dreamweaver and Flash. Though it is or was a better product, Adobe will likely kill illustrator's competitor once and for all. It is sad....

  1. #1

    Default Adobe bought Macromedia. Freehand will die now!

    The news this morning said Adobe bought Macromedia. This will likely be the
    death fir Freehand. The news mentioned Dreamweaver and Flash. Though it
    is or was a better product, Adobe will likely kill illustrator's competitor
    once and for all. It is sad.

    Jobob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adobe bought Macromedia. Freehand will die now!

    Why so pessimistic? When Adobe acquired PageMaker from Aldus, it rejuvenated
    it and continued to modesly develop it for a period. But ultimately, we ended
    up with a new-from-the-ground-up page layout app similar to but far better than
    PageMaker had ever been; and able to usurp Quark XPress. FreeHand has been
    suffering from narrow-sighted corporate neglect. Illustrator is still in many
    ways very long-in-the-tooth, and its interface is anything but tidy, unified,
    and elegant. It's time for a new-from-the-ground-up 2D drawing program, just
    like it was time for InDesign. Free from the concern of possible legal
    entanglements due to too-similar interface features and drawing functionality,
    what could Adobe now do if they decided to? (Resurrect Fontographer?) One
    thing is clear: Despite the focus of the release being upon video and such,
    Adobe is certainly more print-centric than Macromedia ever was. Illustrator is
    still a key component of their software suite, not just a tagged-on
    deal-sweetener. This whole thing could turn out to be great for the FreeHand
    faithful. JET

    JET@BB Guest

  3. #3

    JET- I would like to take a moment to thank you for your help and expertise
    throughout the years. Thank you. Have YOU ever thought about trying to buy
    FreeHand? We could get all the loyal members on this forum to be beta testers!
    -ah, to dream... :(

    Acumowchek Guest

  4. #4

    JETBB wrote:

    JET, I hope you're right. I think this could be a very good thing if it
    happens. I've been seeing FH at an impasse because of poor PDF support,
    inability to open EPS files, lack of CMYK raster effects support, lack of
    font menus, etc.

    However, you'll recall that when Adobe developed InDesign, it had not
    purchased _two_ competing page layout applications.

    It remains to be seen if Adobe will be allowed to acquire FreeHand. The
    movement of management from Macromedia to Adobe makes this acquisition look
    more like a merger. It might allow them to get around any potential
    anti-competition regulations.

    We now have to sit here and wait for the other shoe to drop ...

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    Also, PageMaker was behind Quark and was going nowhere, so Adobe had to
    do something radical (i.e. a new-from-the-ground-up Page Layout program)
    if they had any hopes of gaining on it. Illustrator is the top dog here
    and Adobe has no reason to scrap it to build anything brand new. Sure
    they may put some welcome features into Illustrator like the Graphic
    Find and Replace, that would go a long way. BUT I don't seem them
    changing anything that is already duplicated between the two and I can
    think of many instances where I just can't stand the way Illustrator
    does it vs. FreeHand.

    Rich

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    > JET, I hope you're right. I think this could be a very good thing if it
    > happens. I've been seeing FH at an impasse because of poor PDF support,
    > inability to open EPS files, lack of CMYK raster effects support, lack of
    > font menus, etc.
    >
    > However, you'll recall that when Adobe developed InDesign, it had not
    > purchased _two_ competing page layout applications.
    >
    > It remains to be seen if Adobe will be allowed to acquire FreeHand. The
    > movement of management from Macromedia to Adobe makes this acquisition look
    > more like a merger. It might allow them to get around any potential
    > anti-competition regulations.
    >
    > We now have to sit here and wait for the other shoe to drop ...
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >[/ref]
    Rich Guest

  6. #6

    Can you kill something that is already dead?

    Jukka
    Armadillo Guest

  7. #7

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User > is or was a better product, Adobe will
    likely kill illustrator's > competitor once and for all. It is sad. Can you
    kill something that is already dead? Jukka Not if it is a Zombie

    davecc Guest

  8. #8

    My brother, who is an IT consultant, was using Fireworks last year for a
    project and really liked it. Being the kind of guy he is, rather than just
    buying Fireworks, he bought the whole Studio MX 2004 Professional package. I
    was just talking to him two weeks ago when out of the blue he starts going
    on about how much he loves FreeHand (MX, as he'd never used a different
    version). He said that he uses it for all the graphics on his web sites,
    etc. He recognised it was a bit quirky but really wanted to know more about
    it and when MM was releasing an updater (the obvious questions).

    It made me think that FreeHand probably gets a lot more use from Studio MX
    users than what MM thinks. (A sworn MS evangelist and licensed partner, he's
    also converted to DW from Front Page.)

    Also, the merger aka acquisition won't be final for at least nine months at
    the earliest and many insiders say it will be much longer than that--there
    might even be problems in terms of monopolies and competition, etc. People
    were saying before this announcement that MM was releasing the new version
    of Studio MX this summer (June/July) so FreeHand's fate will be clear soon
    enough. There's no way MM can hold back their product line until the merger
    is approved because that could be quite a while and in the interim, they
    have to protect their assets.

    However, with the merger in play, it seems unlikely that anyone else can
    just step up and buy FreeHand. Another company could try to save it by
    filing a motion or whatever but it seems unlikely that MM would divest
    itself of FreeHand outright prior to it's acquisition by Adobe. Unless
    they're holding a garage sale or something...

    sb

    "Jobob" <com> wrote in message

    bliss66 Guest