Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe CS, Worth moving to XP? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

When Adobe CS was announced, my friends and I wowed to the new release of Photoshop and Illustrator but there was one thing that held as back, Its the upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP. With all the bugs and viruses coming out only on 2000 and XP and not to mention some softwares that are not running on XP and sometimes has glitches on XP. I'd rather stick to Windows 98 and Photoshop 7 or maybe move to Mac OS X all together....

  1. #1

    Default Adobe CS, Worth moving to XP?

    Engilbert_Legaspi@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adobe CS, Worth moving to XP?

    Well, you're not in the minority, that's for sure.

    Here's the simple, plain answer. If you wanna play, you gotta be XP/2K.
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If you wanna play, you gotta be XP/2K

    Make sure that your computer is up to it. MS offers a program that'll sniff out your hardware--mine's marginal. The sound card would have to go, and that video card looks suspicious, too.
    r_harvey@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    It really is time to upgrade. Regardless of all of the bugs/viruses/whatever, all those can easily be forgotten if you just take some time to setup your firewall, and keep your virus definitions up to date, and of course, be religious with windows update.

    I can't even remember how many times a day I was rebooting because of a crash or something with Win9x. I boot up once each day and that's it. No more random crashes (except with dreamweaver for some reason, usually cause I'm too impatient to wait for it).

    It's up to you whether or not you wanna upgrade to W2K or XP for only $150, or buy a new Mac for $1500-$2000 and pay cross platform upgrades for all of your software(AFIAK, Macromedia doesn't offer cross platform upgrades so you'd be SOL there).
    Robert_Blackwell™@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    While it may not be a sure-fire fix, one thing to keep in mind about Windows XP and running older software developed for Win9x, is that XP has the "compatibility mode" which resolves those problems for some software. That is, you can tell XP to run the softare as if it was running under Win9x.

    I agree with Robert on this question...moving to WinXP is worthwhile if your system is up to spec for it. As for viruses and such, I basically ask "what's that??", becuase I have never had my PC infected by a virus even as far back as Win95. Why? Good anti-virus software that is always active. Now that I'm behind a firewall, the system is even safer. I'd never claim being immune to viruses or hackers, but it isn't hard to provide a pretty good defense for the majority of the more common threats.

    Regards,

    Daryl
    Daryl_Pritchard@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    It is worthwhile moving to W2000 or WinXP (assuming that your hardware can support it) no matter if you upgrade to CS or not. If you move to WinXP, you've got to beat on it a while to get it to stop being Microsoft adware/nagware, and I really don't like the eyecandy, but it seems to work well. I find W2000 cleaner.

    Tim
    Tim_Spragens@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    you can turn the eye candy off in xp by going into performance options under my computer. i do.
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I don't think XP is buggy ... if you don't do the foolish upgrade route. Do a clean install from a blank hard disk and you shouldn't have problems.

    (For that matter, I didn't have trouble with 2000, so long as you keep current with the service patches.)
    Don_McCahill@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Yes, Dave, sorry if I made it seem that it wasn't possible. Maybe you also know how to get My Computer from separating the drives? If I ever found that, I forgot. I've had to play with it to support it, but haven't learned all the tricks, I'm happy staying with W2000 until I can't anymore.

  10. #10

    Anyone got a link to the MS "sniffer" to see if your hardware can handle the upgrade?
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Here's a link to the one for W2000:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=b008d64c-dd8d-4816-a3d9-fd2ed787e735>
    I didn't see one for XP; there were more changes from everything else to W2000 than from W2000 to XP, so this will probably get you in the ballpark.

  12. #12

    Tim,

    You have to go into the MMC (right-click My Computer and select 'Manage' - W2K and WXP) and choose Disk Management. Go to Help > Help Topics and select the Disk Management book node and you'll find all the answers (and more) to your questions about managing drives on your system. Let me warn you now, doing this sort of stuff really relies on prior planning on your part.
    Stuart_McCoy@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Hi Stuart,

    I don't *think* I'm looking for disk management, just a change in the display. I can't boot into XP at the moment, I'm in the middle of an image (Maybe I should reload VMware and XP on my Linux box). The real management I've got down, I just want the display of drives to look like it does in W2000... MS loves to eat screen acreage with marginal addition of information.

  14. #14

    Windows XP Compatability Check <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/>

    If you are running a P3 or later, and have a mobo with no integrated components, you'll probably upgrade with out a hitch.
    Robert_Blackwell™@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Thanks Bob.
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Oh, in that case all you need to do is right click in the Explorer window and uncheck "Show in Groups". If you want ALL your folders to ignore file grouping then you need to do the above then select Tools > Folder Options > View tab and click "Apply to All Folders".
    Stuart_McCoy@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Aha! Thanks Stuart, I'll check that next time I'm there.

    Tony... there were a number of software compatibility issues moving from Win 9x/NT4 to W2000, check your vital software. I don't know how well the compatibility manager works in XP... maybe someone else has tested. Some of the software I support was severely broken by W2000, as well as some of the packages that I normally used.

  18. #18

    Strange. The Upgrade advisor tells me I'm running NAV (which I am) and to disable it. Once I click OK. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Go to Windows catalog or exit. <shrug> Some tool.

    Not sure what to make of it.
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Does the tool suggest that it will disable it? Maybe you need to do it manually, then run again.