Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe Elements 2.0 - Mac Applications & Software

I have 1.0, but I have never used it since it runs in Classic. I also have GraphicConverter 4.7 that I use a lot. I can get AE 2.0 for about $80. My questions, for those of you familiar with both AE and GC, are: What are the benefits of adding AE? What does AE do that GC doesn't? If these seem like stupid questions with obvious answers, please remember that I don't currently use AE1.0 and I don't really know anything about it. -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 [email]rbpeirceadelphia.net[/email] [Mac] [email]rbpcooksonpeirce.com[/email] [Office]...

  1. #1

    Default Adobe Elements 2.0

    --
    Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
    [email]rbpeirceadelphia.net[/email] [Mac]
    [email]rbpcooksonpeirce.com[/email] [Office]

    Robert Peirce Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Adobe Elements 2.0

    In article <OdWdnZ2rscujhmKjU-KYvQmagma.ca>, Kyle <caolmagma.ca>
    wrote:
    > PhotoShop Elements 2.0 for MacOS X is actually a pretty powerful program
    > for manipulating digital images. From what I've heard, not having used
    > PhotoShop 7, Elements is a sub-set of the full PhotoShop 7 (thus keeping
    > the price down). PS Elements 2.0 will also accept many PhotoShop
    > plug-ins for special effects etc.
    Just to confirm, from another strictly amateur user, that Photoshop
    Elements seems to be a "Photoshop Lite" that is less expensive but still
    contains many of the core features of the full-bore PhotoShop, and is
    (in my limited experience anyway) fairly easy to learn and use.

    Also throw in my standard plug: iView MediaPro is a very nice program
    for inputting, cataloging, organizing, "webbing", "slide showing", and
    doing simple image manipulations on digital images in the Mac.
    GraphicConverter has, and merits, a very strong reputation in these
    areas also; but I think if I were forced to chose one only, I'd take
    iView over GC.
    AES/newspost Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    When I save as, the file always seems to have the sRGB profile embedded.
    Under what conditions does Elements choose a different profile, or how
    do you make it choose a different profile, if you can? The manual
    really has nothing to say on this.

    This is in Mac OS X 10.2.8.

    --
    Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
    net [Mac]

    Robert Guest

  6. #6

    "Robert Peirce" <net> wrote in message

    Edit-Color Settings: No Color Management leaves it untagged, or discards the
    existing tag. Limited Color Management will tag it with sRGB. Full Color
    Management will tag it with Adobe RGB98. Upon saving the file, however, I'm
    not certain if the last two options just tag the file, or if Elements
    actually converts it - my hunch is it just tags. Either way, the file will
    be correctly interpreted by any other program that uses color management.

    For printing, use full color management and use a printer profile in the
    print preview screen (show more options, color management, print space
    profile), if you have one. For the web or for printing at a mini-lab, use
    limited color management. OTOH, No Color Management is...dumb.

    Last, FYI, tagged and embedded are synonymous. Good luck.

    Flycaster Guest

  7. #7

    In article <3f976c4c$newsgroups.com>,
    "Flycaster" <com> wrote:

    > Edit-Color Settings: No Color Management leaves it untagged, or discards the
    > existing tag. Limited Color Management will tag it with sRGB. Full Color
    > Management will tag it with Adobe RGB98. Upon saving the file, however, I'm
    > not certain if the last two options just tag the file, or if Elements
    > actually converts it - my hunch is it just tags. Either way, the file will
    > be correctly interpreted by any other program that uses color management.
    >
    > For printing, use full color management and use a printer profile in the
    > print preview screen (show more options, color management, print space
    > profile), if you have one. For the web or for printing at a mini-lab, use
    > limited color management. OTOH, No Color Management is...dumb.
    >
    > Last, FYI, tagged and embedded are synonymous. Good luck.[/ref]

    I have Full Color Management set and it still tags it with sRGB. That
    is why I am confused. It appears it should be using AdobeRGB1998 but
    isn't.

  8. #8

    "Robert Peirce" <net> wrote in message

    OK, I misunderstood the problem. If it is already tagged, Elements won't
    change it. The reason it saves it with sRGB is because it already is
    tagged. Adobe stripped much of the CMS options from this program, just a
    touch too much in my opinion, in order to (or so I believe) make it more
    "user friendly." If you look at the status bar when you open the file
    you'll see the colorspace tag that accompanies the file.

    There is a work-around, but I'm not sure you gain anything: Do a file
    save-as, uncheck the ICC profile, and it'll be saved untagged. Now open the
    file, do another file save-as, and this time toggle the ICC profile
    (ARGB98.)

    Flycaster Guest