Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe Flash Player 9 was previously installed withelevated permissions - Macromedia Flash Player

I have had to disable flash on our websites in order to make them useable. Looks like flash 9 was updated yesterday and now pops up a dialog asking to be reinstalled with admin privs. Considering no one on aprox 250 machines has admin privs, I am now faced with the task of spending 15 minutes installing and or upgrading flash on 250 pcs. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. what kind of QA did you do on this release, because im pretty ed right now. I have tried the fix located here: ( http://dontpokebadgers.com/axaa/ ) which approves the classID, but this ...

  1. #1

    Default Adobe Flash Player 9 was previously installed withelevated permissions

    I have had to disable flash on our websites in order to make them useable.
    Looks like flash 9 was updated yesterday and now pops up a dialog asking to be
    reinstalled with admin privs. Considering no one on aprox 250 machines has
    admin privs, I am now faced with the task of spending 15 minutes installing and
    or upgrading flash on 250 pcs.

    THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. what kind of QA did you do on this release, because im
    pretty ed right now.

    I have tried the fix located here: ( http://dontpokebadgers.com/axaa/ ) which
    approves the classID, but this does not seem to work. I am sure other people
    must be experiencing this issue. I require you to perform one of the following
    actions:

    1) Provide a method to disable auto updating the flash active x control
    2) Provide group policy settings that will enable seemless installation in the
    background. This would ideally be registry based and not have anything to do
    with an MSI file that I would need to bundle into a startup script.
    3) Roll back flash to a working version that does not have this horrible bug
    4) Silently fail to update flash, as the old flash still renders the content
    after the error message has been cleared.

    Please respond ASAP. I am sure you are about to get a flood of complaints as
    you have now changed the default behavior of the flash player, which
    unfortunately, much of the internet now uses.

    elevated Guest

  2. #2

    There already is a method for disabling auto-update, as well as control over
    many other options for your users... So this isn't a bug at all. This is
    auto-update doing what it's supposed to do. As the network admin you have to
    disable it.. Read on...

    First, as a network install you should be using the (free) licensed
    distribution version of Flash Player. The licensing is here:
    http://www.adobe.com/licensing/ That will get you EXE installers for your
    network if you want them. Most importantly it gives you the legal ability to
    distribute the player and then control it using the following....

    Flash Player Administrator's Guide:
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html

    Also please keep in mind that these forums are not official support channels.
    They're peer-to-peer support. So in the future please go through
    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer for needs such as this. We do offer
    support to network admins supporting the install...

    BWolfe Guest

  3. #3

    I suppose I could install via MSI as long as that doesnt require admin rights.
    The other problem Is I would have to re publish a new MSI every time you
    updated the client. Thats a real hassle.

    Why have you changed the functionality in this version regarding updates
    anyway? It never used to throw a dialog box up before.

    elevated Guest

  4. #4

    Auto-update has been a feature since version 7. But it wasn't turned on in
    all cases. I'm not entirely sure why the engineering team chose to turn it on
    now.

    even if you don't have the MSI you can still disable autoupdate using the
    techniques in the Admin Guide. That's really what you should be looking at...

    BWolfe Guest

  5. #5

    :evil;

    Adobe Flash Player 9 was previously installed with elevated permissions

    Same error here on a terminal server. Can't give all users elevated... I
    installed the msi version and magicly it works for all users. Dont need to
    deploy from active directory, just needed to install via the msi.

    http://www.adobe.com/go/full_flashplayer_win_msi

    cashew1976 Guest

  6. #6

    we are in a citrix environment and were experiencing the same problem. it
    really is too bad that the flash can't be deployed through a gpo. anyway i used
    the msi and that corrected the problem for us as well. at least there was an
    easy fix.

    TelemusCapital Guest