Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe InDesign CS - Fonts Missing - Adobe Indesign Windows

We just purchased ID CS and installed it on our user's PCs. The user's noticed that their Ariel and Times Roman fonts were missing and when they bring in a PageMaker doent, they receive errors indicating that the fonts are missing. The fonts are still there in PageMaker however. I tried deleting the font lists and it appears to work, the fonts show up in the font list but when a doent is brought in, they go missing again. They will also go missing if InDesign is closed and reopened. Is there a fix for this? I see other similar ...

  1. #1

    Default Adobe InDesign CS - Fonts Missing

    We just purchased ID CS and installed it on our user's PCs. The user's noticed that their Ariel and Times Roman fonts were missing and when they bring in a PageMaker doent, they receive errors indicating that the fonts are missing. The fonts are still there in PageMaker however.

    I tried deleting the font lists and it appears to work, the fonts show up in the font list but when a doent is brought in, they go missing again. They will also go missing if InDesign is closed and reopened. Is there a fix for this? I see other similar messages but no fixes.
    Connie_Wilson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adobe InDesign CS - Fonts Missing

    Can you actually verify that Ariel and Times Roman are installed on the computer at all? PageMaker makes use of print driver PPDs which show the availability of fonts resident in the printer. Other programs would be ignorant of their existence. Make sure that you have really installed them on the PC itself, then Indy can use them.

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, I've checked her c:\winnt\fonts directory. She has all the different Arial fonts and all are truetype. Her other applications are able to use the fonts still as well. In IDCS, she sees all the other variations of Arial but not the plain Arial font.
    Connie_Wilson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Are you using ATM 4.1 deluxe? -- Mike
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  5. #5

    A similar thing has randomly started happening to a couple of my files as well. It's a very frustrating bug. At first it was only one file which I thought may be corrupted, but now it's begun happening to another file. If I open File A. "Arial" shows up as missing. In the "Find Font" dialog there's a yellow triangle and exclamation point next to it, but in the Info area below it says "Character Count: 0, Page: none" indicating that InDesign has no idea where this font is used if at all. Clicking "Find First" does NOTHING... and "Change All" also does nothing.

    What you have to do is, go to Find/Change, show "More Options" and choose the missing font format in the "Find Format Settings" area. The missing font for me looked like this: [Arial] Then replace it with the correct format in the "Change Format Settings" area. For me, the correct font looked like this: Arial. In other words, the same name of the font that InDesign CS is missing shows up in it's Font menu under the same name. Then do a Find Next and Change or Change All.
    Adam Lein Guest

  6. #6

    Actually, Find/Change worked on most of the missing fonts.. but it still
    doesn't work on my pseudo-missing Arial Bold in one of my doents. That
    missing format isn't even selectable from the Find/Change Format dialog..
    yet it appears in the Missing Fonts dialog. These doents didn't even
    originate in Pagemaker. They're from InDesign 2.

    Adam Z Lein Guest

  7. #7

    If you were on a Mac, I'd tell you to trash the dfont, but since you're on Windows, it must be that you have two fonts named Arial installed and they are colliding with each other.

    Check for them wherever Windows keeps fonts and in the Adobe fonts folders.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I've seen this problem so much now that I'm reconsidering my switch to Arial from Helvetica.

    Although typical manuals use Arial for the headings and Times New Roman for the body, I'm still using Arial throughout the manual. I just hope that anyone I am sending these out to doesn't experience problems with the Arial font missing or whatever.

    I think you need to create styles with the correct fonts you want then select the text that seems to be missing the fonts. Hold the alt key when changing the paragraphs over to the selected style and the text should be okay after that.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I see this often too. The font Arial is missing even though it was there when I first opened the file. If I close ID CS and then reopen it will then be available. Perhaps the new update fixes this.
    Bryce_Steiner@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I had a similar problem, using ID2 on a Win2K machine. The problem was actually related to Windows, not ID or ATM. I had to delete and reinstall the file fontext.dll. Don't know if this is your problem or not, but I breathed a sigh of relief after fighting it for months.
    Scott Casper Guest