Professional Web Applications Themes

"Adobe InDesign CS" or "QuarkXPress 6.0" - Adobe Indesign Windows

What do you think? Which one has more ability? What are your reasons? Imagin that you are guiding a new user. [ PLEASE ANSWER WITH NO PASSION ]...

  1. #1

    Default "Adobe InDesign CS" or "QuarkXPress 6.0"

    DIO_VERNOOS@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: "Adobe InDesign CS" or "QuarkXPress 6.0"

    QuarkXPress 6 is the digital equivalent to new coke.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I don't know anyone who doesn't get a little passionate, but here's one
    response, from David Blatner, writing in Creative Pro:
    [url]http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20604.html?cprose=5-01[/url]

    Peggy

    Peggy_Coquet@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    IDCS vs. Quark!
    The short list!

    IDCS--Reads native transparency from any .psd file--any way you get there works! Magic Wand, Alpha Channels etc.
    Quark--Nope! Still have to draw those nasty little clipping paths and save as .eps!

    IDCS--will open Word and Excel spreadsheets so that you can make them look good!
    Quark--You'll be up til midnight retyping and then reformatting!

    IDCS--Drop shadows in the program-
    Quark--Go to Photoshop, go directly to Photoshop, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00.

    IDCS--Unicode support for extended font glyphs!
    Quark--you'll still be going through all of those sticky notes pasted to your monitor for the correct character code (Alt+0169)

    IDCS--Multi line paragraph composer for better type flow!
    Quark--Single line composer means you'll spend hours retracking and kerning type!

    IDCS--Preflight built right in!
    Quark--$300.00+ for FlightCheck or other 3rd party preflight extention!

    IDCS--Native PDF support that distills even if you are not hooked up to a postscript printer
    Quark--somewhat nebulous PDF support and you need a postscript printer to make it happen!

    IDCS--High resolution previews that also print at high resolution of your non-postscript printer!
    Quark--Have to download the preview plug in and still the same lousy 72 dpi prints of a non-postscript printer!

    IDCS--Restore function for when the power goes out, computer gets unplugged etc.
    Quark--You better save early and often!

    And you can set IDCS to use your Quark keyboard shortcuts if you want to make the jump easier!
    Christine_Krof_Shock@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:41:58 -0700,
    [email]Christine_Krof_Shockadobeforums.com[/email] wrote:
    >IDCS vs. Quark!
    >The short list!
    >
    >IDCS--Reads native transparency from any .psd file--any way you get there works! Magic Wand, Alpha Channels etc.
    >Quark--Nope! Still have to draw those nasty little clipping paths and save as .eps!
    true. this is a minder, what InDesign can do here.

    >IDCS--will open Word and Excel spreadsheets so that you can make them look good!
    >Quark--You'll be up til midnight retyping and then reformatting!

    not in my copy of InDesign 2.02.

    Any sort of text from any microsoft doent from my client, copied,
    placed, whichever, the text immediately wants to over-ride and alter
    my styles. Like its some alien and takes them over. It could possibly
    be something my client is doing, formatting their docs, and possibly
    if i knew my way around Word, i could turn it off. I understand there
    may be a fix in InDesign CS or a better way to import text from Word.
    Other InDesign users report no such problems, so maybe i'm set up
    wrong.

    >IDCS--Drop shadows in the program-
    >Quark--Go to Photoshop, go directly to Photoshop, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00.

    InDesign will dropshadow any element you create in InDesign, and
    incredibly, it will dropshadow any element brought in from illustrator
    or even elements brought in as a .psd file or a .pdf file. This has to
    be seen to be believed.

    >IDCS--Unicode support for extended font glyphs!
    >Quark--you'll still be going through all of those sticky notes pasted to your monitor for the correct character code (Alt+0169)
    >
    >IDCS--Multi line paragraph composer for better type flow!
    >Quark--Single line composer means you'll spend hours retracking and kerning type!

    Personally I prefer the single line composer. Oh well. Single line
    composer is available in InDesign.

    >IDCS--Preflight built right in!
    >Quark--$300.00+ for FlightCheck or other 3rd party preflight extention!
    >
    >IDCS--Native PDF support that distills even if you are not hooked up to a postscript printer
    >Quark--somewhat nebulous PDF support and you need a postscript printer to make it happen!

    not so, from my experience anyway. Quark exports beautiful hi or lo
    resolution PDFs, using Acrobat Distiller, with click of a button, no
    connection to postscript printer needed. I do it all the time. Both
    programs do a good job of this.

    >IDCS--High resolution previews that also print at high resolution of your non-postscript printer!
    >Quark--Have to download the preview plug in and still the same lousy 72 dpi prints of a non-postscript printer!

    Quarks previews are horrible. they always have been. they always will
    be apparently. for the money they charge, you'd think they could fix
    that.

    >IDCS--Restore function for when the power goes out, computer gets unplugged etc.
    >Quark--You better save early and often!
    >
    >And you can set IDCS to use your Quark keyboard shortcuts if you want to make the jump easier!

    thats what I did.

    Eddie Guest

  6. #6

    QuarkXPress 6 is the digital equivalent to new coke.

    Well, no, I don't think that's quite right.

    You see, even while the New Coke controversy was in full flames, Coke was running blind taste tests that showed people who didn't know what they were drinking preferred New Coke to old Coke.

    I've yet to see anyone prefer Quark 6 to IDCS in a blind test. <g>
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    IDCS--Native PDF support that distills even if you are not hooked up to
    a postscript printer

    Quark--somewhat nebulous PDF support and you need a postscript printer
    to make it happen!

    Never having had the "opportunity" to use Quark (somewhere I must have done something right), this surprises me.

    Do you mean that in Quark you don't have the option to print to a Postscript file (using a Postscript printer definition) and distill that?
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I think the orignal intent was native export as PDF. Quark does have
    that now in version 6 but it's not anywhere near as good as InDesign's
    capability.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  9. #9

    From what I have heard from students in our Quark classes( I haven't touched Quark since ID 1.0...i really hate clipping paths)--the print to file only works if you are connected to a postscript printer and you can't use the generic postscript driver from adobe to make it happen. You have to be connected to a physical postscript printer.

    So many of my InDesign students were floored by how easy it was to make .pdfs that actually worked in InDesign! It was funny, most of them had already taken Quack and had had their .pdf's fail that they were most pleased that it was so painless in IDCS. And that they could get features like no downsampling, printer bars etc. that they struggled with in Quark.

    I made 16 converts in that class alone!!!!
    (So when do I get my cut!!!!%*)
    Christine_Krof_Shock@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    > (So when do I get my cut!!!!%*)

    Welcome to the ID missionary club. Your royalty check is in the mail. :-)

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:56:34 -0700,
    [email]Christine_Krof_Shockadobeforums.com[/email] wrote:
    >From what I have heard from students in our Quark classes
    >( I haven't touched Quark since ID 1.0...i really hate clipping paths)--
    >the print to file only works if you are connected to a postscript printer
    >and you can't use the generic postscript driver from adobe to make it
    >happen. You have to be connected to a physical postscript printer.

    incorrect

    you can use any postscript driver and print to file in quark 4,
    regardless of whether you are connected to any printer or not.

    at least thats how it works at my house.

    Eddie Guest

  12. #12

    Christine

    I am puzzled by your PDF comments. We use both ID and QXP and produce PDFs by printing to the Adobe PDF 'printer'. We would go the print-to-file route only rarely. I suppose that this means that one has to have Acrobat installed, but any serious desktop publisher should have it on board.
    Tony_Stuart@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Dio

    Dicuss DTP without passion? Yeah right! ;)

    Here are some summations on the state of DTP based on various software:

    PageMaker is at the end of its life and is likely to be discontinued on the PC soon, its already halfway there with it finished on the Mac.
    Publisher is nothing short of being typical Microsoft crap software, always trying to guess what you want to do next, instead of letting you do what you want.
    Xpress is in serious trouble, InDesign is gaining market share if for no other reason then you get InDesign, when you by the Creative Suite. Simple economics really, Pay $1,000 US for Xpress alone or get everything you need for $1,2999. Also InDesign is far superior than Xpress in many areas. Plus if you already own Photoshop you can upgrade to the Creative Suite for $749.
    Nobody uses Multi Ad Creator, even thou it made it to OSX before Quark did. I actually loaded it up once and it gave me that creppy, bone-chilling Publisher/Corel Draw feel, ugh.
    That leaves one choice for a viable product with a future ahead of it, InDesign. And InDesign runs rings around Xpress to boot.

    I know you asked about Xpress vs. InDesign specfically, but I use this all the time as my stock answer when the issue comes up ;)

    Mark
    willmark@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    My vote would be for InDesign.
    luk_a@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    you can't use the generic postscript driver from adobe to make it happen

    You said it, from Adobe!

    Stick to Adobe. It works much better than Quirk.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    "Nobody uses Multi Ad Creator, even thou it made it to OSX before Quark did. I actually loaded it up once and it gave me that creppy, bone-chilling Publisher/Corel Draw feel, ugh. "

    Even though I've benn using Adobe CS for a couple of months now, be careful about knocking Corel Draw. It's still a powerful app, even though it's lost its way somewhat in recent years. The first proper graphix app i ever owned,

    Regarding QXP v ID, I'd go for ID in 7 out of 10 reasons. The only 3 reasons to continue using QXP (Quirky XPired) is if:

    a) You want to improve your employment prospects RIGHT NOW. Most ad sgencies, printers, design studios, printshops, newspaper and magazine publishers still use QXP. Beware however, the tide is turning in ID's favour.

    b) Compatability. If the printer you use uses QXP this may be a factor. However some on this forum would say find a n ew printer....

    c) Old files. If you have a couple of hundred QXP files or more that you'd rather not convert in IDagain this may be another factor. Personally, I'd not let that put me off. I have tons of PM stuff, some of which I've converted to ID format.

    If you're approaching DTP from afresh, then you've in some ways an easier choice. ID would be logical choice for a beginner, even though the myriad of option can appear daunting at first. Hoever, jumping in at the deep end can be more rewarding.

    Again forget PageMaker. Adobe have killed it off.

    If not swayed by QXP or Id, then the professional hi - end choice is limited somewhat, even on the PC.

    Multi - Ad creator is best suited for designing ads. Sometimes used in conjuction with QXP within the newspaper industries.

    FrameMaker. Available now only for the PC and mostly used for technical docs.

    Ventura. Again, PC only. Associated with long doent work such as munuals and books. Don't llet that put you off though. It is highly rated and can produce everyday DTP stuff in the same way as PM, QXP and ID.

    If going down the budget road, then forget MS Publisher. The only budget DTP app I'd even think about considering would be PagePlus...
    Ian_Matthew@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    c) Old files. If you have a couple of hundred QXP files or more that you'd
    rather not convert in IDagain this may be another factor. Personally,
    I'd not let that put me off. I have tons of PM stuff, some of which I've
    converted to ID format.

    I have the same situation with the old PM files and that doesn't stop me from converting them or sticking to ID either. I love ID!
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Ventura. Again, PC only. Associated with long doent work such as manuals and books. Don't let that put you off though. It is highly rated and can produce everyday DTP stuff in the same way as PM, QXP and ID.

    Well said, Ian. I couldn't put it better.

    As I have told Adobe on several occasions, Ventura should be plundered for features in the same way as QXP has. I recently did a short 80-page manual in ID which I told my boss could have been done in less than half the time in Ventura. But my outfit suffers from this strange blinkered view that is altogether too widespread that somehow it isn't a serious option. Corel's inclusion of chapter-by-chapter publication development is clearly the most powerful and innovative feature in any DTP program on the market, and I use them all except FM.
    Tony_Stuart@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Is InDesign 3.0 a good choice for producing a 600-page book with math equations placed as graphics (square-root-type equations)? Or should I look at Ventura or some other application? Is anyone using ID 2.0 or 3.0 and producing books?
    Linda_Marie_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Is anyone using ID 2.0 or 3.0 and producing books?

    I am doing manuals but I was told yesterday that FM, Word and Ventura are better for this.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast