Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe merger news - Macromedia Freehand

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/05/10/adobe.merger.notes...

  1. #1

    Default Adobe merger news

    http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/05/10/adobe.merger.notes
    Acumowchek Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adobe merger news

    "...the FTC is likely to mandate that Adobe sell Fireworks and FreeHand to a third party. "These customers will be most adversely affected by the acquisition," NPD says. "Although they won't have to do anything in the short term, if customers have standardized on Fireworks or FreeHand workflows, they should strongly consider migrating to Photoshop and Illustrator over the medium term..."

    Strongly considering... Okay all done. No.

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:29:56 -0700, Aowchek <com> wrote:

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

  3. #3

    Bill wrote:

    I keep seeing references to the FTC in articles about Freehand. The previous
    attempted purchase of FH by Adobe was not stopped by the FTC, but by a
    lawsuit brought by Altsys, the original developer and owner of the software
    at the time. (Aldus was a licensee.)

    I very much doubt that the FTC would get involved in the FH deal at this
    point. This won't give Adobe an exclusive monopoly in vector drawing apps.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Adobe merger news 5-10-2005

    Anybody with a brain in their head can see what's coming... and it's all so
    wrong.

    I've been digging through the archives lately, paying particular attention to
    old FreeHand drawings. Stuff from way back when my Mac was a useful tool for
    vision and craft. Way back before money-grubbing corporate offs bought the
    FTC and turned the Internet into a giant shopping mall from hell. Way back
    before I was embarrassed and ashamed when people introduced me to their friends
    as a "graphic designer."

    Whatever. As Groucho Marx once said, "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies
    like a banana." Good for you, Macrodobe. Make tons of money and squander
    everything worth saving. I can hardly wait to buy your next fabulous new
    upgrade.

    art101 Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, I know - even nostalgia is not what it used to be. ;-)

    Jukka
    Armadillo Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry Judy, you were partly right:

    "FOR RELEASE: JULY 27, 1994

    ADOBE/ALDUS TO DIVEST "FREEHAND" SOFTWARE BUSINESS
    UNDER SETTLEMENT WITH FTC
    Adobe Systems Inc. and Aldus Corporation have agreed to
    modify their merger plan so that they will divest Aldus'
    "FreeHand" professional-illustration software within six months
    after the merger, as part of a settlement of Federal Trade
    Commission charges. The FTC alleged that the merger, announced in
    March and valued at approximately $0.5 billion, could lead to
    higher prices and reduced innovation for professional-illustration
    software. FreeHand will be divested to Altsys Corporation, which
    developed the software."

    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/predawn/F95/adobe-aldus.htm

    also, from the 1995 Annual Report:

    COMPETITION MISSION
    (DETAIL)
    Adobe Systems Incorporated; Aldus Corporation
    Adobe and Aldus agreed to settle allegations that their recently
    consummated merger could lead to higher prices and reduced
    innovation for professional-illustration software. Professionalillustration
    software enhances the ability of graphic artists to create
    free-form illustrations on computers. Adobe and Aldus sold the only
    two illustration software programs (Illustrator and Freehand) in the
    market for use on Apple Macintosh and Power Macintosh computers.
    The consent order requires the merged firm to divest the Freehand
    business and name within six months to Altsys Corporation, the firm
    that developed the software.

    The key distintion there is "the only two illustration software programs
    (Illustrator and Freehand) in the market for use on Apple Macintosh and
    Power Macintosh computers." Wasn't Corel Draw on Mac at the time? The
    next bit deals with US Market and being published in the US, so maybe
    that's why Corel is not included.

    more detail: (page 78)
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/429D9406-2740-43E9-995F-0B226724BA2C/0/oft377Part2.pdf

    There was a law suit between Altsys and Aldus and there was a settlement

    Altsys Corp. of Richardson, Tex. developed the source code for
    FreeHand. Aldus Corp. of Seattle, Wash. has been distributing FreeHand
    under a licensing agreement since 1987. The Aldus licence comes up for
    renewal in July 1995.

    But earlier this year, Adobe Systems Inc. announced plans to merge
    with Aldus. Adobe sells Illustrator, FreeHand's biggest competitor.

    Fearing Adobe would force Aldus to relax its marketing of FreeHand,
    Altsys filed suit opposing the deal in April. The out-of-court
    settlement between Altsys and Aldus removes a major barrier to the
    Adobe/Aldus deal.

    If the merger is successful, the settlement requires Aldus to transfer
    certain FreeHand assets to Altsys when the FreeHand licensing agreement
    ends in July 1995. These include all of Aldus' interests in the FreeHand
    name and doentation, foreign translations of the product and the
    FreeHand user mailing list. For the remainder of the licensing term,
    Aldus would have to follow rules intended to keep the marketing of
    FreeHand separate from, and competitive with, Adobe Illustrator.

    The settlement includes terms that would allow the licence to be
    renewed if the Adobe merger falls through.

    But even then, Von Ehr says it's "very likely" that Altsys will buy
    back FreeHand and do its own marketing. He adds that several other
    companies are also interested in FreeHand.

    COPYRIGHT 1994 Transcontinental Media IT Business Group
    COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group

    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CGC/is_n16_v20/ai_16227542

    Rich

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    > I keep seeing references to the FTC in articles about Freehand. The previous
    > attempted purchase of FH by Adobe was not stopped by the FTC, but by a
    > lawsuit brought by Altsys, the original developer and owner of the software
    > at the time. (Aldus was a licensee.)
    >
    > I very much doubt that the FTC would get involved in the FH deal at this
    > point. This won't give Adobe an exclusive monopoly in vector drawing apps.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >[/ref]
    Rich Guest

  7. #7

    Rich,

    Thank you so much for doing this research! Very interesting.

    I had been quoting the statement of a person I consider an authority on such
    matters, but it turns out he was misinformed. Very sorry.

    In the previous rulings, it was deemed that there were not sufficient
    competing products on the Mac platform. The new Corel Graphics Suite 12 is
    PC only. Are there any other illustration packages that have wide market
    penetration from design studios to print shops on the Mac platform?

    It will be interesting to see if anyone makes a complaint to the FTC this
    time around. As a Canadian, I'm not familiar with FTC rules and rulings.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  8. #8

    I'll be drawing elipses around Illustrator with FreeHand MX (as always) until
    they get sold to whoever will take us into FreeHand 12, that's the most
    positive thing I've read.

    Great research Rich, I enjoyed reading the background of the previous merger.

    cartees Guest

  9. #9

    Are there any other illustration packages that have wide market

    One problem here is that FreeHand is no longer just an illustration program.
    It could be referred to as a DTP, page layout, web development or just about
    anything package nowadays which could dilute any argument. The fact that it
    can do so much more than Illustrator may be a bad thing in that it might not be
    seen as a direct competitior any more - ironic.

    &

    Oakeydokey Guest