Professional Web Applications Themes

Adobe to acquire Macromedia - Macromedia Freehand

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html Now i'm really scaring about losing my favourite software : FreeHand....

  1. #1

    Default Adobe to acquire Macromedia

    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html
    Now i'm really scaring about losing my favourite software : FreeHand.
    FH Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adobe to acquire Macromedia

    Originally posted by: FH Addict
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html Now i'm
    really scaring about losing my favourite software : FreeHand.

    I guess it's going to be official: FreeHand will finally be killed off. Though
    with the last couple of versions, MX in particular, MM was already heading down
    that path. I loved FH. It was my main design tool from 1992 - 2003. I'm going
    to be sorry to see it go. I don't see Adobe salvaging it... nor selling it off
    to compete with Illustrator. On the bright side... maybe Illustrator will
    finally get multiple pages :) One can only hope for the best....

    :(

    htikka Guest

  3. #3

    NO - Don't kill FreeHand!!! :(

    I love FreeHand, it's been one of my main apps my entire life...
    Andreas Guest

  4. #4

    I feel sick.

    Freehand has been my drawing tool for the last 10 years. I don't want to see it go either, what's to be done here?
    cartees Guest

  5. #5

    RIP FreeHand. Loved ya, baby. Not happy to see Adobe do this. Bad for
    competition. On the other hand, perhaps it's time for a merciful end to
    FreeHand. Macromedia's web-centric culture had no great love for its utility in
    the vector world. Today I'm starting out on another television season. FH is
    one of my top two first-line tools. Hard to think about having to switch
    full-time over to Illustrator and ID. I'm bummed.

    maxman23 Guest

  6. #6

    Remember when Adobe bought Aldus, and Aldus had Pagemaker and Freehand?
    The programmers sued to get back the rights to Freehand and saved it.
    Maybe there will be another savior? Bill Gates where are you?

    D. Guest

  7. #7

    I hear ya, similar discussions are happening everywhere!
    cartees Guest

  8. #8

    When, on the rare ocassion that I have to restart OSX, FreeHand and Potatoslop
    are the two programs that I have on startup items. I'm an illustrator who uses
    FreeHand 8-10 hour a day, I won't be giving it up without a fight.

    cartees Guest

  9. #9

    The Hell with FreeHand. It is Dreamweaver and Fireworks I want to keep.

    Jukka
    Armadillo Guest

  10. #10

    What the hell are you doing in a FreeHand forum then???

    Your programs are safe, Fireworks will fix up the half d Imageready and Dreamweaver is as safe as Flash.
    cartees Guest

  11. #11

    I suppose this means that no one is really working on a Freehand update, or has
    been for quite some time.

    I suppose it also makes sense why there has been no one from MM in the
    Freehand forum for quite a while now...I mean why help out a bunch of rats on a
    sinking ship.

    Any ideas out there where and to who we should write to make an appeal for
    Freehand?

    Pappy

    Pappy Guest

  12. #12

    I have friend who is more than a little commited to Freehand, he'll have some advice for me (us) shortly I imagine.
    cartees Guest

  13. #13

    Originally posted by: FH Addict
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html Now i'm
    really scaring about losing my favourite software : FreeHand. Macromedia has
    it posted on their ste as well.
    http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2005/adobe_macromedia.html

    davecc Guest

  14. #14

    Originally posted by: Pappy I suppose this means that no one is really working
    on a Freehand update, or has been for quite some time. I suppose it also
    makes sense why there has been no one from MM in the Freehand forum for quite a
    while now...I mean why help out a bunch of rats on a sinking ship. Any ideas
    out there where and to who we should write to make an appeal for Freehand?
    Pappy Pappy, Maybe we should have a petition to Adobe like what Joel Berry
    did. http://www.petitiononline.com/macrfree/petition.html

    davecc Guest

  15. #15

    I'm in shock this morning. All these scenarios we discussed last week...

    This is why I am glad I switched a year ago. Maybe something good can come
    of this...but it sure explains a whole lot.
    Hope all you stock holders do OK..

    Microsoft to the rescue...forget about it, hope that Apple steps in and
    takes freehand off Adobe's hand...if it isn't gutted too quickly.

    mg

    "FH Addict" <com> wrote in message

    Martin Guest

  16. #16

    'Ifreehand' the new app from Apple? let me dream !!!!!!!!!!!!
    FH Guest

  17. #17

    I really hope that Adobe is willing to let FH go. I don't think there
    is honestly all that much in it that Adobe wants the code for. It's not
    like they've been scratching their heads trying to figure out how to put
    multiple pages into Illustrator, they simply don't want to do it. They
    want DreamWeaver and Flash. So for the sake of competition and the
    sanity of FreeHand users everywhere I hope they decide to do the right
    thing and sell FH to someone who can really make it what it should be.
    Just not Microsoft or Corel PLEASE. While they're at it they can sell
    Fontographer as well.

    Petitions, especially online, don't seem to do a whole lot. Maybe a
    letter writing campaign instead. Although he's in another field now,
    maybe FreeHand's papa would want to help his offspring survive:
    http://www.zyvex.com/AboutUs/Profiles/JVEbio.html com

    An interesting item from the last time Adobe had FreeHand:

    2. Adobe and Aldus (1994)

    In 1994 Adobe announced its intention to acquire Aldus. The two
    companies sold the leading brands of professional illustration software:
    Adobe Illustrator and Aldus Freehand. The parties argued with some
    effect that each was driven to upgrade its product in order to earn
    revenues from its own installed base. This was not the only dimension
    along which competition took place, however. There was evidence, for
    example, of substantial direct pricing competition between the two
    programs, both for new customers and for sales to their own installed
    bases. In the end, the FTC required the merged firm to divest the
    FreeHand professional illustration software owned by Aldus to a third
    firm, Altsys Corporation, which had originally developed the software.
    Again licensing was seen as a fix to a direct horizontal overlap in
    software products.
    http://members.shaw.ca/elementaleconomics/CPIE.htm

    With fingers crossed,
    Rich

    Martin Gamache wrote:

    >[/ref]
    Rich Guest

  18. #18

    FreeHand and Illustrator are two fairly different programs that do the same
    thing. I've really tried using Illustrator before, but it just drives me nuts
    compared to FreeHand. I own both, usually upgrade both, use certain functions
    only available in Illustrator, but when I sit down to draw a new map and to
    actually work with my graphics - it's FreeHand all the way. It's a really sad
    day for me.

    LandisB Guest

  19. #19

    "Rich Hudgins" <com> wrote in message

    I dont think it is about how to code stuff, but more about copyright and
    patents. It may be that a search and replace tool will exist in illustrator
    whereas it could not before because of potential lawsuits.

    mg

    Martin Guest

  20. #20

    If anything, hopefully the company will implement Adobe's upgrade
    pricing scheme (upgrade from any previous version) rather than
    Macromedia's (only two versions back). at least that was the way it was
    the last I upgraded an Adobe product.

    Tim Hines

    Martin Gamache wrote:

    Tim Guest