Professional Web Applications Themes

ADODB.Command (0x800A0E7D) Requested operation requires an OLE DB Session object, which is not supported by the currentprovider - ASP

Hi all, maybe someone can help me out. I have installed an ASP-App, using a W2K server, IIS 5.0, MDAC 2.8, MS SQL 2000. I got the app running once (first time onley), but after that I keep getting this error message. "ADODB.Command (0x800A0E7D) Requested operation requires an OLE DB Session object, which is not supported by the currentprovider". Whatever I tried, nothing helped. Initialy MDAC 2.5 was installed. So I upgraded to 2.8 but this didn't help. I found some post here about the issue, but none of the suggestions help. Het is the code that I use ConnectString ...

  1. #1

    Default ADODB.Command (0x800A0E7D) Requested operation requires an OLE DB Session object, which is not supported by the currentprovider

    Hi all,

    maybe someone can help me out. I have installed an ASP-App, using a
    W2K server, IIS 5.0, MDAC 2.8, MS SQL 2000. I got the app running once
    (first time onley), but after that I keep getting this error message.
    "ADODB.Command (0x800A0E7D) Requested operation requires an OLE DB
    Session object, which is not supported by the currentprovider".
    Whatever I tried, nothing helped. Initialy MDAC 2.5 was installed. So
    I upgraded to 2.8 but this didn't help. I found some post here about
    the issue, but none of the suggestions help. Het is the code that I
    use

    ConnectString = "Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=127.0.0.1;Initial
    Catalog=HKT30;UID=HKT30USER;PWD=HKT30USER;Trusted_ Connection=Yes;"

    Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConn.Open ConnectString

    Set cmdSP = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
    cmdSP.CommandText = strStoredProcedure
    cmdSP.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
    cmdSP.ActiveConnection = objConn <== This is the line on which the
    error is created

    This app. works fine on several other machines. Including mine, but
    not on the customers server. I suspect that something is wrong with
    the OLEDB connection. I even tried to use an Access DB but that didn't
    work either. It's not the same message, but that's because the
    connectionstring differs. I then got an error whichs says something
    about "multi-step OLE DB error.". The other way I tried to solve this
    problem is by connecting using ODBC. I configured a DSN and used that
    string to connect and run te SP's. Didn't work either. Same error. I
    haven't got a clou. Anyone else does? The only thing which comes to my
    mind is user rights. De systemadministrator gave us an other
    user-account. But I'm not sure if we used it before we got the app
    working or after it was not working anymore. So maybe it's the
    useraccount we use to login on to the server and running the
    application. Does that sound stupid. Unfortunatly I'm not able to test
    is, so that's why I wrote it down to.

    Hope anyone can help
    THX in adv.

    Greetzzzz

    Stephan
    Stephan Guest

  2. #2

    Stephan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > maybe someone can help me out. I have installed an ASP-App, using a
    > W2K server, IIS 5.0, MDAC 2.8, MS SQL 2000. I got the app running once
    > (first time onley), but after that I keep getting this error message.
    > "ADODB.Command (0x800A0E7D) Requested operation requires an OLE DB
    > Session object, which is not supported by the currentprovider".
    > Whatever I tried, nothing helped. Initialy MDAC 2.5 was installed. So
    > I upgraded to 2.8 but this didn't help. I found some post here about
    > the issue, but none of the suggestions help. Het is the code that I
    > use
    >

    > ConnectString = "Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=127.0.0.1;Initial
    > Catalog=HKT30;UID=HKT30USER;PWD=HKT30USER;Trusted_ Connection=Yes;"
    Why are you passing a user id and password while setting trusted connection
    to yes? I suspect you actually have a SQL login created called HKT30USER, so
    you really don't want to be using a trusted connection - remove that part of
    the connection string. Go to [url]www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm[/url] for
    examples of OLEDB connection strings.

    > Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > objConn.Open ConnectString
    >
    > Set cmdSP = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
    > cmdSP.CommandText = strStoredProcedure
    > cmdSP.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
    > cmdSP.ActiveConnection = objConn <== This is the line on which the
    > error is created
    The line should be:
    Set cmdSP.ActiveConnection = objConn

    Without the Set keyword, a new Connection is being created using the
    connection string property of the objConn connection.

    <snip>

    I've never seen this error. Let us know if the above suggestions fix the
    problem. The only other thing I can think of is that OLEDB Session Pooling
    on this particular machine has been turned off. Go to
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/pooling2.htm[/url]
    to see an explanation of how to turn session/resource pooling on.

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks for the reply. First of all, I'll give some more information on
    what I already tried. Because I didn't found much information on the
    Inet which said something about the error. After I received this
    error, I tried to connect to an Access DB. This time an other error
    was occured: "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check
    each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done". As I wrote
    below. The application runned once. On all the other machines the code
    I'm using is working fine, but it can be improved as I can read in
    your answer. So that's the first thing I'm going to do after fixing
    this problem. So, when the Access solution too didn't work, I tried to
    connect to the MS SQL DB by using ODBC. I created a DSN, but still the
    error (ADODB.Command (0x800A0E7D)) occured. Unfortunately I didn't
    have the Admin-account password for this machine. They gave me an
    account of which they said it was equall to the admin-account. I
    cracked the admin-password to be sure that the problem wasn't caused
    by userrights. Then I tried to connect the MS SQL DB using the SA
    account. I received the error that the IUSER_ was not granted
    access to the DB. Now it became clear the the problem was caused by
    rights used on the machine and in the MS SQL DB. I'm sorry, but I
    changed too much on the machine to check wether your suggestions would
    solve the problem. I will install everything new, but maybe some other
    people who came around this problem will find some answer here.

    Thanks for the help

    P.S.: The user HKT30USER was created in the DB. I didn't check for
    sessionpooling. But all of this I'll keep in mind for the next time.

    "Bob Barrows" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message news:<#TUZs4rpDHA.708TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > Stephan wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > maybe someone can help me out. I have installed an ASP-App, using a
    > > W2K server, IIS 5.0, MDAC 2.8, MS SQL 2000. I got the app running once
    > > (first time onley), but after that I keep getting this error message.
    > > "ADODB.Command (0x800A0E7D) Requested operation requires an OLE DB
    > > Session object, which is not supported by the currentprovider".
    > > Whatever I tried, nothing helped. Initialy MDAC 2.5 was installed. So
    > > I upgraded to 2.8 but this didn't help. I found some post here about
    > > the issue, but none of the suggestions help. Het is the code that I
    > > use
    > >

    > > ConnectString = "Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=127.0.0.1;Initial
    > > Catalog=HKT30;UID=HKT30USER;PWD=HKT30USER;Trusted_ Connection=Yes;"
    >
    > Why are you passing a user id and password while setting trusted connection
    > to yes? I suspect you actually have a SQL login created called HKT30USER, so
    > you really don't want to be using a trusted connection - remove that part of
    > the connection string. Go to [url]www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm[/url] for
    > examples of OLEDB connection strings.
    >

    > > Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > > objConn.Open ConnectString
    > >
    > > Set cmdSP = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
    > > cmdSP.CommandText = strStoredProcedure
    > > cmdSP.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
    > > cmdSP.ActiveConnection = objConn <== This is the line on which the
    > > error is created
    >
    > The line should be:
    > Set cmdSP.ActiveConnection = objConn
    >
    > Without the Set keyword, a new Connection is being created using the
    > connection string property of the objConn connection.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I've never seen this error. Let us know if the above suggestions fix the
    > problem. The only other thing I can think of is that OLEDB Session Pooling
    > on this particular machine has been turned off. Go to
    > [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/pooling2.htm[/url]
    > to see an explanation of how to turn session/resource pooling on.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Bob Barrows
    Stephan Guest

  4. #4

    Some extra information:

    As I wrote before, to solve te problem using an Access DB, an other
    error occurd (multi-step error). There is a way so get the same error
    message I got when using the SQL-server. Use the Access DB, make a
    form, start the form and then try to connect to the DB using a
    webapplication. This wil generate the same error as described in my
    first message. The cause is probably different (locking of the table),
    but it's a way to reproduce the same error.

    "Bob Barrows" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message news:<#TUZs4rpDHA.708TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > Stephan wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > maybe someone can help me out. I have installed an ASP-App, using a
    > > W2K server, IIS 5.0, MDAC 2.8, MS SQL 2000. I got the app running once
    > > (first time onley), but after that I keep getting this error message.
    > > "ADODB.Command (0x800A0E7D) Requested operation requires an OLE DB
    > > Session object, which is not supported by the currentprovider".
    > > Whatever I tried, nothing helped. Initialy MDAC 2.5 was installed. So
    > > I upgraded to 2.8 but this didn't help. I found some post here about
    > > the issue, but none of the suggestions help. Het is the code that I
    > > use
    > >

    > > ConnectString = "Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=127.0.0.1;Initial
    > > Catalog=HKT30;UID=HKT30USER;PWD=HKT30USER;Trusted_ Connection=Yes;"
    >
    > Why are you passing a user id and password while setting trusted connection
    > to yes? I suspect you actually have a SQL login created called HKT30USER, so
    > you really don't want to be using a trusted connection - remove that part of
    > the connection string. Go to [url]www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm[/url] for
    > examples of OLEDB connection strings.
    >

    > > Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > > objConn.Open ConnectString
    > >
    > > Set cmdSP = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
    > > cmdSP.CommandText = strStoredProcedure
    > > cmdSP.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
    > > cmdSP.ActiveConnection = objConn <== This is the line on which the
    > > error is created
    >
    > The line should be:
    > Set cmdSP.ActiveConnection = objConn
    >
    > Without the Set keyword, a new Connection is being created using the
    > connection string property of the objConn connection.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I've never seen this error. Let us know if the above suggestions fix the
    > problem. The only other thing I can think of is that OLEDB Session Pooling
    > on this particular machine has been turned off. Go to
    > [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/pooling2.htm[/url]
    > to see an explanation of how to turn session/resource pooling on.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Bob Barrows
    Stephan Guest

  5. #5

    Stephan wrote:
    > Some extra information:
    >
    > As I wrote before, to solve te problem using an Access DB, an other
    > error occurd (multi-step error). There is a way so get the same error
    > message I got when using the SQL-server. Use the Access DB, make a
    > form, start the form and then try to connect to the DB using a
    > webapplication. This wil generate the same error as described in my
    > first message. The cause is probably different (locking of the table),
    > but it's a way to reproduce the same error.

    Sorry, but this does not help here. You should post to an Access newsgroup
    if you are having a problem with an Access form.

    I need a way to reproduce this error when connecting to SQL Server (or
    Access) from an ASP page.

    The multi-step errors are very tough to troubleshoot. Have you done a Google
    search on the error number and/or message? If you do, you will see many
    different ways to raise this error, each with its own solution.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry Bob,

    I just wanted to point out that this is a way to reproduce the error.
    I didn't want to know anything about Access or the Multi-Step error.

    I could solve the problem mentioned in the first mail. As said, my
    strong feeling is that it had something to do with userrights, but I
    changed too much to be sure that that was the only thing. I hope
    someone has more experience.

    Greetings.

    "Bob Barrows" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message news:<u7X#2aEqDHA.2140TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > Stephan wrote:
    > > Some extra information:
    > >
    > > As I wrote before, to solve te problem using an Access DB, an other
    > > error occurd (multi-step error). There is a way so get the same error
    > > message I got when using the SQL-server. Use the Access DB, make a
    > > form, start the form and then try to connect to the DB using a
    > > webapplication. This wil generate the same error as described in my
    > > first message. The cause is probably different (locking of the table),
    > > but it's a way to reproduce the same error.
    > >

    > Sorry, but this does not help here. You should post to an Access newsgroup
    > if you are having a problem with an Access form.
    >
    > I need a way to reproduce this error when connecting to SQL Server (or
    > Access) from an ASP page.
    >
    > The multi-step errors are very tough to troubleshoot. Have you done a Google
    > search on the error number and/or message? If you do, you will see many
    > different ways to raise this error, each with its own solution.
    >
    > Bob Barrows
    Stephan Guest