Professional Web Applications Themes

Advanced Forms Features, doc.mailForm() - Adobe Acrobat Windows

Hello all, I only started creating pdf forms a few days ago, so apologies if my question is silly, naive, etc. Okay, I have a pdf form that I've created that has a number of fields. All the fields are formatted and verified using JavaScript. Good so far. Down the bottom of the page, I have a "Submit form" button. Ideally when the buttons clicked, I would like the contents of the form to be emailed (as an attachment) to me. It would be great if the contents were in XFDF format, but FDF will suffice. I'm currently using the ...

  1. #1

    Default Advanced Forms Features, doc.mailForm()

    Hello all,

    I only started creating pdf forms a few days ago, so apologies if my question is silly, naive, etc.

    Okay, I have a pdf form that I've created that has a number of fields. All the fields are formatted and verified using JavaScript. Good so far. Down the bottom of the page, I have a "Submit form" button. Ideally when the buttons clicked, I would like the contents of the form to be emailed (as an attachment) to me. It would be great if the contents were in XFDF format, but FDF will suffice.

    I'm currently using the doc.mailForm(boolean, String, ...) method, which should send the contents of the PDF as an email with an FDF attachment. Now, this works on my machine (Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0.0, Windows 2000). But when I try it on any computers running Adobe Reader (both 5.1 and 6.0), it fails without error message.

    I have read the JavaScript docs and noted that the method doc.mailForm() requires Advanced Forms Features doent rights. I've since browsed the forums and discovered that doent rights can only be set by using Adobe Reader Extensions Server. (Very expensive)!

    My questions then, are as follows:
    1. If the ARE Server is required to modify doent rights, how come I can send my own form using Professional?
    2. Is it because having Professional waives those rights? So, if all my clients had Professional would they then be able to send the form via email?
    3. Finally, I'm after a solution to the problem using Professional with clients having Reader. Does anyone know how to send the contents of a form via email in my situation? IE, what are the alternatives?

    Thanks in advance,
    Sam.
    Sam_Price@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Advanced Forms Features, doc.mailForm()

    1. Those rights only apply to Reader

    2. Yes. They would be able to submit the form via email if they were properly configured otherwise (correctly configured and operating MAPI client, this excludes AOL, webmail, and Outlook over Web users)

    3. Reader can submit form data to a web server, it can also email an FDF file, again assuming that everything else is configured correctly, which is a HUGE "if."
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your reply W T Allen.

    I take it then, that it IS possible for me to:
    1. Create a PDF using Professional.
    2. Send it to users with Reader.
    3. Have them email me the FDF file (by pressing a button on the PDF form).

    The users must have:
    1. Correctly configured MAPI client (shouldn't be a problem).
    2. ???

    "assuming that everything else is configured" - What else do I need to configure? Is there something else that I'm missing?

    Thanks,

  4. #4

    Reader 6 can submit FDF data on its own but previous versions had to be openeed inside a browser to do so, so that may need to be configured.

    But basically, a MAPI client needs to be configured. You set up a regular form (with Acrobat Professional) and tell the submit button to submit to a URL and make that URL "mailto:somebodysomewhere.com"
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Wonderful!

    Thanks for the answer. I was trying to do it via JavaScript as opposed to entering a "mailto:" workaround. I have one further question (sorry to keep bothering you):
    Is there anyway (with Reader JavaScript) to see if the default email client is MAPI enabled?

    Thanks a lot for your help,

  6. #6

    Not that I know of.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Even if you can verify that a MAPI client is installed/active, that doesn't put you in the clear.

    On my home PC, for example, I have a MAPI client installed (Outlook Express) but it's not set up for anything because I use Outlook Web Services for email. Your form would not work for me and if I was a complete newbie, I might not know that it wasn't working. I might just click "Submit" and assume everything went OK.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Same here, but different. The PC where I use Acrobat is not set up to
    send mail, while the PC where I send (and receive) mail is not set up
    to run Acrobat.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Susan_A._May@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    Susan,

    You need to use the various form tools, which are present on the Forms toolbar, which may not be visible by default. To make it show up, select "Tools > Advanced Editing > Forms > Show Forms Toolbar". The help doent that comes with Acrobat should provide a bit more help.

    George
    George_Johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks George. I have figured that much out. I can't seem to get any further than that. Susan
    Susan_A._May@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Susan

    You do not convert the existing form fields in Word to form fields in the PDF - you need to create form fields in Acrobat 6.

    What exactly are you hainvg problems with, having read the Acrobat 6 Help secions on the topic?
    Dorian_Grey@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Dorian,

    I turn the forms tool bar on, go to Tools, Advanced Editing, select the text field tool, then it changes from the hand to a cross cursor so I can select the area just above the underline on the form, and I name it Buyer. I select the next area and do the same, name if buyer. It shows up with a red border around it, but when I try and type someone's name in the area which I think has been defined, it won't let me. What else needs to be done in order to fill in the form field with data?

    Thanks so much for responding to me.
    Susan_A._May@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    What else needs to be done in order to fill in the form field with data?

    You need to select the Hand tool to interact with form fields.

  15. #15

    By God, I think I'm on to something. I'll let you know next week if I have any more issues.

    Thanks a bunch!
    Susan_A._May@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    To George or anyone that knows how to do this?

    I have created my form fields. Any easy way to line them up above lines so the text and the lines show? Some I did great, but others in the form are so close together, some of my text doesn't show.

    Also, I have check boxes in this real estate form. I couldn't figure out how to change a plain box to a check-box in Abode. In Word, you insert a special Wingdings character. Any way to do this in Adobe??

    Your help is much appreciated.

    Susan
    Susan_A._May@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I'm new to Acrobat Pro Tryout. I have read Acrobat 6, classroom in a book. I have created a form and loaded it on my web site. I can display the form in IE browser.

    I use second machine that only has Reader loaded. I would like to have the form automatically send back mail message and fdf attached doent.

    However, Submit button is not working. According to reply #3 all I need to enter is the url mailto:...

    No other cgi/toolkit needs to be loaded on my isp web site?

    Jim
    jim_french@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    According to reply #3 all I need to enter is the url mailto:...

    That was a bit misleading, becuase the mailto scheme has proven to be very unreliable. It should not be considered for anything serious, especially if there will be Reader users involved.

    No other cgi/toolkit needs to be loaded on my isp web site?

    Using a web server to accept and process the form submissions is by far the most reliable approach. It can also be relatively simple to set up a server script (CGI, ASP, etc.) If you'd like more information, post again.

  19. #19

    George,

    Any advice for my questions above? What about me?

    Susan
    Susan_A._May@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Susan, your question doesn't seem to fit the subject - it isn't about
    mailForm. It may help to post this under a new, more accurate,
    subject, since people use the subject to decide whether to read the
    message.