Professional Web Applications Themes

advice for new programmer? - Mac Programming

I'm looking for information that might help me use my Mac to learn how to program. I'm not familiar with any programming language and I've never taken any programming courses, so I'm starting pretty much from scratch. Unfortunately, I have very little experience with Unix, so half the battle for me is configuring my Mac with all the open source stuff that I need to start programming. Most of the doentation I've read assumes a basic familiarity with Unix that I just don't have. I feel like I'm going in circles trying to get things set up because I'm constantly ...

  1. #1

    Default advice for new programmer?

    I'm looking for information that might help me use my Mac to learn how
    to program. I'm not familiar with any programming language and I've
    never taken any programming courses, so I'm starting pretty much from
    scratch.

    Unfortunately, I have very little experience with Unix, so half the
    battle for me is configuring my Mac with all the open source stuff
    that I need to start programming. Most of the doentation I've read
    assumes a basic familiarity with Unix that I just don't have. I feel
    like I'm going in circles trying to get things set up because I'm
    constantly backtracking to learn about something I don't have, learn
    where to download it, learn how to install it, learn about something I
    don't have that I need to install it, etc...

    Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice, or
    at least a few good links? Specifically, I'm interested in learning
    C++ and php.

    Thanks,

    joseph

    P.S., I'm running OX 10.3.4.
    Joseph Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: advice for new programmer?

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Joseph O'Brien) wrote:

    Look in /Applications/Installers/ for the Developer's tools installer.
    run it.

    You now have C++ installed. Run the C++ development environment in

    /Developer/Applications/XCode

    use its "New" command to make and run a few of its sample projects.

    Start reading the projects in /Developer/Examples.

    For learning C++, I recommend "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo. Watch
    out though, many of the example programs are not exception safe. Good
    followup texts are "Effective C++" by Scott Meyers and "Exceptional C++"
    by Herb Sutter. Once you've read those, read the sequels: More
    Exceptional C++, More Exceptional C++ and Effective STL. Also read
    "Writing Solid Code" by Steve Maguire.

    For writing Macintosh programs, make sure to read
    http://developer.apple.com/

    For php: Edit /etc/http/http.config searching for the two commented out
    lines that refer to php. Uncoment those lines by remove the leading '#'
    characters.

    Here is how you edit the file:

    from Terminal, say:

    open /etc/httpd

    In Finder:
    Select http.config. do a "Get Info" menu command.

    in the Get Info window, click to open the disclosure triangles for
    "Ownership&Permissions" and also the one for "Details"

    Click on the lock icon on the "Owner" line, to authenticate yourself.
    Change the owner of the file to you. Edit the file with a text editor.
    Text Edit will do.
    Save your changes. Change the ownership of the file back to "system".

    Now, in the "Sharing" panel of System Preferences, turn on personal web
    sharing. php is now installed in your web server.

    For an example php program, I've had good luck with ewiki from
    http://erfurtwiki.sourceforge.net/ . It prefers mySql, but if it can't
    find that, it just writes its data to files in the file system. Watch
    out: in the default configuration, it writes to /var/tmp so all its data
    files will be erased each time you restart your mac.

    To install ewiki, copy the ewiki folder that you downloaded from
    sourceforge to your Sites folder as "ewiki". To use ewiki, assuming your
    logname is "joseph", type the following to your web browser:

    http://localhost/~joseph/ewiki/example-1.php

    The source code for ewiki is in the file ewiki.php
    David Guest

  3. #3

    On 3 Aug 2004 08:14:27 -0700, com (Joseph
    O'Brien) wrote:

    Any particular reason for C++?
    This is one of the hardest languages to learn and to use - even
    for professional programmers. Unless you have a very specific
    need I'd avoid it, at least for now.

    C and Objective-C would make more sense for programming a Mac.
    And I recommend Python as a first ever language;

    http://www.python.org

    Has lots of intro material.

    Alan G.
    Author of the Learn to Program website
    Alan Guest

  4. #4

    PHP was my first language and it helped a great deal when I tackled C++. I
    took several computer science classes in high school that concenctrated on
    C++. Unfortunately, I haven't found a practical use for my knowledge of C++
    and basically used what I learned from those programming courses to learn
    other languages. As of now I concentrate on Objective-C and PHP, while
    depending on C++ and Java for my computer science classes in college. All in
    all I feel that I have a rather solid foundation in programming.

    There are a dozen books on the market that would help you greatly. I learned
    the basics of PHP in a "Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours" books while
    gathering a great deal of information on Objective-C and Apple's Cocoa
    Framework from Aaron Hillegass' book "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X".

    I hope this helps you in any way.

    Best Regards,
    Eric Czarny

    http://www.divisiblebyzero.com

    Eric Guest

  5. #5

    On 03/08/2004, Joseph O'Brien wrote in message
    <google.com>:

    C and its variants (e.g. C++, Objective C) is one of the hardest
    languages to learn. It's really designed for experts and not
    beginners. That's why there are so many bugs in C programs. At
    your level of experience you don't even know how to ask the right
    questions so you have no way of even knowing where to look up the
    answers.

    For your situation I'd recommend that you start with AppleScript:

    http://www.apple.com/applescript

    There are lots of nice tutorials on the web and already installed
    on your computer. It has an English-like syntax. The editor does
    syntax colouring so you can see what's going on. It talks
    directly to other programs on your computer so you can get
    impressive results without having to write the whole thing yourself.
    And you can work your way up to AppleScript Studio with has access
    to all the Cocoa features that give the Mac its fancy user interface.

    There's a special newsgroup for AppleScript questions if you need it:

    alt.comp.lang.applescript

    Good luck.

    Simon.
    --
    Using pre-release version of newsreader.
    Please tell me if it does weird things.