Professional Web Applications Themes

Advice for user new to iMAC - Mac Applications & Software

I recently picked up an iMAC from a friend who says it is fine but needs a recovery disc because the thing won't boot up correctly. I am completely clueless with Macs. Have never had an opportunity to use one. Computer seems to be all there. Have not unpacked the box yet but it contains: Monitor/CPU unit Keyboard Mouse Power Cable Is that All there is to it? Is there a place I can get the files for a recovery disc on line and, more importantly, can they be downloaded and burned to a cd on a pc? There is ...

  1. #1

    Default Advice for user new to iMAC

    I recently picked up an iMAC from a friend who says it is fine but needs a
    recovery disc because the thing won't boot up correctly.

    I am completely clueless with Macs. Have never had an opportunity to use
    one.

    Computer seems to be all there. Have not unpacked the box yet but it
    contains:

    Monitor/CPU unit
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Power Cable

    Is that All there is to it?

    Is there a place I can get the files for a recovery disc on line and, more
    importantly, can they be downloaded and burned to a cd on a pc?

    There is no doentation with the machine, so any insight as to what I can
    expect from it in the way of performance would be great.

    The Sticker on the bottom of the unit has the following info:

    INDIGO/4 MHz/10 GB HD/CD/64 MB SDRAM/MDS

    US ENGLISH KYBD/MAC OS

    MODEL # M5521/DHHS CODE SA/EMC # 1857

    Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Mike

    spammer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Advice for user new to iMAC

    All of the banter about the proper capitalization is very interesting, but
    is there any one here willing to give an actual response that provides some
    help.

    To clarify; I have the below referenced MAC/Mac/maC/MaC/mac and would like
    to know if there is a place I can buy or download a boot disc that will help
    me get it started. Someone else has already suggested apple.com, but I was
    unable to find anything there.

    I have had no exposure to MAC/Mac/maC/MaC/mac before this and would love to
    learn why MAC/Mac/maC/MaC/mac users are so loyal to the product, but would
    like to learn a little about them before I purchase a new one and thought
    this would be a good way to do so.

    Thanks again for any help that you may be able to offer.

    Mike

    "spammer" <spammersboxearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I recently picked up an iMAC from a friend who says it is fine but needs a
    > recovery disc because the thing won't boot up correctly.
    >
    > I am completely clueless with Macs. Have never had an opportunity to use
    > one.
    >
    > Computer seems to be all there. Have not unpacked the box yet but it
    > contains:
    >
    > Monitor/CPU unit
    > Keyboard
    > Mouse
    > Power Cable
    >
    > Is that All there is to it?
    >
    > Is there a place I can get the files for a recovery disc on line and,
    more
    > importantly, can they be downloaded and burned to a cd on a pc?
    >
    > There is no doentation with the machine, so any insight as to what I
    can
    > expect from it in the way of performance would be great.
    >
    > The Sticker on the bottom of the unit has the following info:
    >
    > INDIGO/4 MHz/10 GB HD/CD/64 MB SDRAM/MDS
    >
    > US ENGLISH KYBD/MAC OS
    >
    > MODEL # M5521/DHHS CODE SA/EMC # 1857
    >
    > Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    pattersonme Guest

  3. #3

    In article <vg3nld543c8a0bcorp.supernews.com>,
    pattersonme <pattersonmesurewest.net> wrote:
    >To clarify; I have the below referenced MAC/Mac/maC/MaC/mac and would like
    >to know if there is a place I can buy or download a boot disc that will help
    >me get it started. Someone else has already suggested apple.com, but I was
    >unable to find anything there.
    You mentioned you have an iMac with a keyboard and mouse. This should indeed
    be a complete system. Have you tried starting it up? If it has hardware problems
    in addition to needing boot/install/recovery software, there might very well
    be indications such as no startup sounds or information on the screen.

    The media you need is a cd. The imac has no diskette.

    You can go to several places (physical and network) to get boot/install/recovery
    software. One very good pice of recovery software is Diskwarrior. You can go
    here to get it

    [url]http://www.alsoft.com[/url]

    This should allow you to boot and fix the system.
    You should have bootable media and this should have come with the machine.
    Failing that, you can get OS X from apple.com or other sources.

    --
    Daniel Packman
    NCAR/ACD

  4. #4

    Thank you so much for the info. This is all very helpful to me. I have not
    yet decided to keep the machine. The person I received it from wants
    $150.00 for it and I am going to look into the OS you reccomended and also
    the memory upgrade.

    Is $150.00 a fair price for this machine? I am interested in the multimedia
    features that macs are known for. Is this a machine that I can explore
    these features with?

    Anyway, thanks again for the info.

    Mike

    pattersonme Guest

  5. #5

    Went to CompUSA the other day and found that I can add scrap the current ram
    and can get two 256 chips for about 100.00 and they are selling Mac OS X for
    129.00 will keep shopping would like to see the thing running without having
    to spend more that 200.00.

    Will keep you posted on progress and will be asking many more questions, I
    am sure.

    Thanks for the help and info.

    Mike

    "Godfrey DiGiorgi" <ramarren> wrote in message
    > $150 seems a reasonable price for a 400Mhz iMac Indigo. You'll have
    > another $200 into it by the time you're set for use between buying the
    > RAM and Mac OS X, of course, but that's still a good price for a
    > computer of this specification (and a few dollars under what I see iMac
    > Indigo 400Mhz models going for on Ebay).
    >
    > The 400Mhz iMac is a decent startpoint for an introduction to
    > multimedia stuff. It's a bit behind the times in terms of state of the
    > art but still quite capable. Fitted with 512M of RAM, a larger hard
    > disk and Mac OS X, you can do a lot with it.
    >
    > Godfrey
    >
    > In article <vgkemd2icbre23corp.supernews.com>, pattersonme
    > <pattersonmesurewest.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you so much for the info. This is all very helpful to me. I have
    not
    > > yet decided to keep the machine. The person I received it from wants
    > > $150.00 for it and I am going to look into the OS you reccomended and
    also
    > > the memory upgrade.
    > >
    > > Is $150.00 a fair price for this machine? I am interested in the
    multimedia
    > > features that macs are known for. Is this a machine that I can explore
    > > these features with?
    > >
    > > Anyway, thanks again for the info.
    > >
    > > Mike

    pattersonme Guest

  6. #6

    In article <vi12lqlhta9ab6corp.supernews.com>,
    "pattersonme" <pattersonmesurewest.net> wrote:
    > Have spent some time playing with it and am able to patially boot it up but
    > it stops and then says "sorry a system error occurred "time synchronizer"
    > error type 41"
    >
    > What kind of error is this and what can i do about it.
    >
    > By the way it has os9
    There is an extension that controls getting time from a network server,
    and it appears to be corrupted. Reboot holding down the space bar.
    Extension Manager should popup. Scroll down to the extension part and
    look for an icon names Time Sync or something like that. Make sure the
    check box next to it is blank. See if you can boot.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.