Professional Web Applications Themes

Advice on 8 page layout - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, can someone tell me if my approach is ok, I have an 8 page brochure(A4)(stiched), and most all of the inner pages will have graphics that will run into each other. Will this setup work fine or will it cause headaches for the printers?: page1 (COVER ON IT'S OWN) Pages 2 & 3 (FACING PAGES) Pages 4 & 5 (FACING PAGES) Pages 6 & 7 (FACING PAGES) page8 (BACK PAGE ON IT'S OWN) Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Advice on 8 page layout

    deefadog@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Advice on 8 page layout

    That's the preferred method. The printer should be able to handle the
    imposition to printers spreads.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    I agree with Bob--that's the way we prefer to receive files so we can feed them to our Preps imposition software. We dread it when customers try to impose their own jobs in an attempt to be helpful. That makes a lot more work for us.
    Scott_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Great thank you so much, it's been a while since I have used DTP software, Quark that was when I was working MAC based :)

    What setup would I use if I wanted to use the front and back cover as one spread, maybe a continuing graphic? would I have the front and back Pages 1& 2(FACING PAGES)? or can I have them as facing pages but specify there pages as 1 and 8 but next to each other.

    Hope that makes sense

  5. #5

    Personally, I'd create a separate file for it.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  6. #6

    Never thought of that :)

    Thanks, should keep my printers happy.

    Take care
    deefadog@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Personally, I'd create a separate file for it.

    Yes a separate file but you can also create a new book file along with it. In the book palette you can arrange the files in the order you'd like them to print.

    Scott and Robert - do you feel this will make it easier for the person printing the files or do you feel it's best to leave the files separated without using the book?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Leave it separate. You can't use the book feature since the cover is
    only one page for the front and back.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  9. #9

    You can't use the book feature since the cover is only one page for the
    front and back.

    Ok, I guess I've been doing this wrong. I make a doent for the cover with the second side blank and a the back cover is made with the first side blank then I add those to the book.

    Please advise on why this is wrong and how it may cause difficulties.

    Note: I usually go from a PDF when my project is ready for printing.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    It's not necessarily wrong. Do whatever works.

    But for me, if I'm doing an 8.5x11 book, I'll create a separate cover
    that's 17x11.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  11. #11

    Good morning Bob.

    Thank you for your help.

    But for me, if I'm doing an 8.5x11 book, I'll create a separate cover
    that's 17x11.

    How does that work if you want to make a PDF of the entire book? I've never done it that way and I ask since your method may have strengths I'm unaware of.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    It doesn't work. If I then need a PDF of the book, I'll place the PDF
    and crop it for the front and back covers.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  13. #13

    "Ok, I guess I've been doing this wrong. I make a doent for the cover
    with the second side blank and a the back cover is made with the first side
    blank then I add those to the book."

    The OP was asking about a graphic spanning front and back covers. How does
    your method achieve that?

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Caused some discussion on this, it is a tricky one, best to ask the printer what they would prefer I guess. One question when you all refer to "Book" i.e - "then I add those to the book."" What are you refering too?

    I am new to ID so may be a stupid question :)

  15. #15

    A book file is a collection of individual doents which can share some
    common attributes, like consecutive numbering through them all. You'll find
    it in the help file and manual. Under Book.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Thanks, The help file explains everything about the book apart from when and why you should use it, I assume it's called a book because you can have many doents which you may create seperately and want the finished layout as a book, but for general brochures, graphics, flyers etc I see no need for this.

    Please correct me if I have got the wrong of the stick on this :)
    deefadog@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    "but for general brochures, graphics, flyers etc I see no need for this."

    Probably right. But the book structure can be useful if you want to produce
    a doent with differing page sizes, or for differing print output (covers
    v text for instance), or for when different people are working on different
    sections simultaneously, and a few other reasons that don't immediately
    spring to mind.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest