Professional Web Applications Themes

Advice on Fireworks MX2004 - Macromedia Fireworks

I'm looking at purchasing the Studio MX2004, and I'd like some advice on Fireworks MX2004. Here are my questions: 1) Is the interface smaller/easier to open & keep open? 2) How well does the new FWMX2004 JavaScript popups export into DWMX2004? Right now with FWMX, the filesize is pretty large when popups are exported into a DW HTML file. Has that gotten better with the newer version? 3) What are some basic reasons, besides the obvious support issues, to upgrade from FWMX to FWMX2004? 4) Why should we purchase Studio MX2004 for $499, when we can get DW & FW ...

  1. #1

    Default Advice on Fireworks MX2004

    I'm looking at purchasing the Studio MX2004, and I'd like some advice on Fireworks MX2004. Here are my questions:
    1) Is the interface smaller/easier to open & keep open?
    2) How well does the new FWMX2004 JavaScript popups export into DWMX2004? Right now with FWMX, the filesize is pretty large when popups are exported into a DW HTML file. Has that gotten better with the newer version?
    3) What are some basic reasons, besides the obvious support issues, to upgrade from FWMX to FWMX2004?
    4) Why should we purchase Studio MX2004 for $499, when we can get DW & FW for $348, and we don't use Flash?

    Thanks for any and all advice.

    KWilliams

    kwilliams Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Advice on Fireworks MX2004

    K:

    Right now with FWMX, the filesize is pretty large when popups are exported
    into a DW HTML file. Has that gotten better with the newer version?

    These menus are mostly unchanged from FMX. Both versions are desparately in
    need of a fix.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "kwilliams" <com> wrote in message
    Fireworks MX2004. Here are my questions:
    Right now with FWMX, the filesize is pretty large when popups are exported
    into a DW HTML file. Has that gotten better with the newer version?
    upgrade from FWMX to FWMX2004?
    for $348, and we don't use Flash?

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    I hope so too. There are such better ways of achieving the same goal that
    use none of the antique code or approaches used in the pop-ups. <sigh>

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "kwilliams" <com> wrote in message
    thinking of working on this problem anytime in the near future? I think that
    it's pretty bad when you have a key feature that ties 2 of your main
    programs (DW & FW-exporting JS popups into HTML page), but you have to tweak
    it yourself because the filesize is way to large.
    popups into DW was to move some of the JavaScript code that was located on
    the main HTML page into the JS included file (mm_menu). This solved a lot of
    the load problem. But I'm really was hoping that they would have fixed that
    problem on their own when developing this newer version of Fireworks.
    Anyway, maybe it will happen someday...I hope.

    Murray Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Murray,

    Thanks for the quick response. Do you know if anyone from Macromedia was thinking of working on this problem anytime in the near future? I think that it's pretty bad when you have a key feature that ties 2 of your main programs (DW & FW-exporting JS popups into HTML page), but you have to tweak it yourself because the filesize is way to large.

    The solution I ended up coming up with concerning exporting FW JavaScript popups into DW was to move some of the JavaScript code that was located on the main HTML page into the JS included file (mm_menu). This solved a lot of the load problem. But I'm really was hoping that they would have fixed that problem on their own when developing this newer version of Fireworks. Anyway, maybe it will happen someday...I hope.

    KWilliams

    kwilliams Guest

  5. #5

    There are many ways to do such things, but the best ways (in my opinion) are
    taught here -

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm

    or

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm

    They are fully cross-browser/platform compatible, and have none of the
    associated problems that the DW/FW pop-ups (or any other all javascript menu
    system) do.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "kwilliams" <com> wrote in message
    called "ASP Popups", but I can't remember where to find the information on
    them. Do you know that she may have been talking about? If not, do you have
    any other suggestions on how I can create & use popups without using
    Fireworks? (maybe something that uses ASP) Thanks Murray.

    Murray Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Murray,

    Well, I had heard from another user a while ago about another option called "ASP Popups", but I can't remember where to find the information on them. Do you know that she may have been talking about? If not, do you have any other suggestions on how I can create & use popups without using Fireworks? (maybe something that uses ASP) Thanks Murray.

    KWilliams

    kwilliams Guest