Professional Web Applications Themes

Advice on integrated video on friends system - FreeBSD

Hi, A good friend of mine asked me to setup FreeBSD and GNOME on his home computer for his family to use. It is an old IBM Aptiva. The usual stuff works, but of course it has to have integrated video: ATI Rage Pro Turbo chipset. I'm running the latest Xorg in the ports tree and started with a configuration file using 'Xorg -configure'. No matter what I've tried (no accel, no dri, defaultdepth 8, 16, Modes 800x600, 640x480), all the results have been the same, even when trying to run xorgcfg... when I run startx, my monitor blanks, and ...

  1. #1

    Default Advice on integrated video on friends system

    Hi,

    A good friend of mine asked me to setup FreeBSD and GNOME on his home
    computer for his family to use. It is an old IBM Aptiva. The usual
    stuff works, but of course it has to have integrated video: ATI Rage
    Pro Turbo chipset.

    I'm running the latest Xorg in the ports tree and started with a
    configuration file using 'Xorg -configure'. No matter what I've tried
    (no accel, no dri, defaultdepth 8, 16, Modes 800x600, 640x480), all
    the results have been the same, even when trying to run xorgcfg...
    when I run startx, my monitor blanks, and either tells me it's an
    unsupported video mode, or the screen just goes blank. Doing
    ctrl+alt+backspace doesn't restore my text mode, but I am able to
    reboot the system using ctrl+alt+del, or I can even type 'shutdown -p
    now' (but nothing is displayed).

    Could anyone suggest any additional course of action, or is this
    chipset clearly unsupported? It's really hard for me to give up on
    this... it's not too often that I get to setup someone with FreeBSD
    and GNOME (has only happened to me once before this).

    James
    James Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Advice on integrated video on friends system

    I've included HorizSync, and VertRefresh for the monitor's specs. Is
    there more that's needed in this case? The monitor that I'm currently
    testing with is a Samsung 193P. I also tested on a Samsung 171S, and
    an old CRT.

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:35:51 -0600, Henry Miller <com> wrote:
    > "org"
    >
    >[/ref]
    James Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 02:27:29PM -0700, James Earl wrote:

    I don't know about Xorg and hardware compatibility for an ATI Rage Pro
    chip, but from what you are describing I would tend to point to an
    issue with the monitor settings rather than the video card itself. If
    the monitor is old, then EDID information may not be available from the
    monitor, so Xorg may just try some default monitor setting that don't
    happen to work with that monitor. Have you done some searches for Hsync
    and Vertical Refresh rates for the monitor in question? Once you know
    these values (ranges), you can set them manually in the xorg.conf file
    under the section titled "Monitor". For example:

    Section "Monitor"
    <some other directives>
    HorizSync 30.0 - 70.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
    EndSection

    As far as losing control of the display, but apparently still having
    control of the keyboard, is the machine on a network? Can you possibly
    ssh into the box and control it remotely?

    Nathan

    Nathan Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:46:10 -0600, Nathan Kinkade <edu.bz> wrote:

    I tested out a GNOME LiveCD, and it worked, so I've made a copy of the
    xorg.conf file and will give it a try later on tonight. The xorg.conf
    used was more sparce compared to the one that I generated using Xorg
    -configure, so hopefully this will be the ticket.

    Thanks
    James Guest

  5. #5

    James,

    The ATI Rage Pro is a little different than a modern video chipset.
    It was designed before PnP monitors, so what they did is there is a
    DOS utility that you run under DOS and write the monitor settings
    (ie: the maximum refresh rates and such) into eeprom in the video
    chip. When the video drivers query the video chip for the modes the
    monitor supports, they get these values, not the real modes the
    monitor supports.

    The chip was probably setup at the factory to whatever the old IBM
    monitor could be driven to, and that monitor is now long gone, of
    course.

    Also one other thing - while the svga server supposedly has support
    for the ATI cards, I've found with the older ATI cards that you must
    select the ati server.

    Ted
     [/ref]
    > on his home [/ref]