Professional Web Applications Themes

Advice on portable purchase? - Mac Portable

Hello, I'm trying to advise my father on the purchase of a portable Mac. He doesn't need it right away, but if he were to have it in hand some time in the next ten days, that would be good (I'll be visiting and could help him transfer data from his current non-firewire iMac; otherwise, it could be a while). He'd primarily use it for word processing, Quicken, web browsing, e-mail, eventually iChat, and maybe playing some low-res games that exist only under MacOS 9 (he doesn't have access to broadband right now, but that could change...maybe). Unlikely that he'd ...

  1. #1

    Default Advice on portable purchase?

    Hello,

    I'm trying to advise my father on the purchase of a portable Mac. He
    doesn't need it right away, but if he were to have it in hand some time
    in the next ten days, that would be good (I'll be visiting and could
    help him transfer data from his current non-firewire iMac; otherwise, it
    could be a while).

    He'd primarily use it for word processing, Quicken, web browsing,
    e-mail, eventually iChat, and maybe playing some low-res games that
    exist only under MacOS 9 (he doesn't have access to broadband right now,
    but that could change...maybe). Unlikely that he'd be doing really
    graphics intensive work, and probably wouldn't need a DVD burner; CD
    burner and DVD watching are more interesting, though. The attraction of
    a new machine (the old one is a 350MHz, pre-firewire iMac) is in the
    portability, addition of firewire, and speed.

    So, what should he get? He is open to refurbs, and there are some
    good deals out there right now. New and refurbished iBooks go for $769
    - $1299. Perhaps more interesting, refurbished 12-in PowerBooks are
    available for $1199 - 1399 (the latter with SuperDrive).

    A direct question would be: for the uses described, would the
    refurbed 12-in PowerBook G4 Combo be a better investment than any iBook?
    (I like the idea of the G4 in large part because I perceive it as having
    fewer limiting factors down the road, even if he can't use some features
    right now.) Another direct question: given the latest PowerBook
    announcements and a probable refresh of iBooks sometime between now and
    Thanksgiving, should he just wait (and then possibly tough out the data
    transfer himself)?

    Thanks for any help, best regards,

    Todd
    F. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Advice on portable purchase?

    In article <skynet.be>,
    "F. Todd Wilson" <skynet.be> wrote:

    Sounds like an ibook w/ combo drive would fit just fine.

    Does your dad have anything better to do with the $400? Does he need the
    monitor spanning the PB offers? Since you mention he plays a game only
    offered for OS 9, then he better find out if it works in Classic,
    because the 12" PB doesn't boot into OS 9.

    Another direct question: given the latest PowerBook

    Buy what you need when you need and don't look back. I vote iBook
    refurb. My wife is still happy with her almost 2.5 year-old 500 MHz
    iBook.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.

  3. #3

    In article <skynet.be>,
    "F. Todd Wilson" <skynet.be> wrote:

    When you mentioned iChat and broadband, it made me think of doing video
    conferencing using iChat AV. If by any chance that is something that
    might happen in the future, then the G4 would be better, as the AltaVec
    instructions allow it to do the video work better than the G3.
    Otherwise, without any need for graphics intensive work, a G3 is just as
    good as a G4 more or less.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    In article <skynet.be>, F. Todd
    Wilson <skynet.be> wrote:

    Assuming your father's games will play in Classic, an iBook should work
    fine and save some money. However, my live-in¹s white keyboard on his
    iMac drives him crazy as it always looks filthy and isn't easy to
    clean. He would find the iBooks a pain in this respect. If your dad
    needs to boot OS 9, you could probably find a used 867 TiBook - the
    earlier models boot OS 9.

    Whatever he buys, he should be able to transfer his data with an
    Ethernet crossover cable.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest