Professional Web Applications Themes

Advice on upgrading to 10 - Mac Networking

Hello, stupid question here, but I need some advice about upgrading to OS 10.2 from 9.1. I have the software, but I have been reluctant to do it for some time due to the "if it aint broke don't fix it" clause. Also, I am using an older G3 iMac 400 with 256MB of RAM and I'm a little nervous that 10 is more than the machine can handle. (Silly concern?) I would probably continue to run 9.1 until I got a newer computer, but I just received an iPod as a gift and it requires 10.1.5 or higher. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Advice on upgrading to 10

    Hello, stupid question here, but I need some advice about upgrading to OS 10.2
    from 9.1. I have the software, but I have been reluctant to do it for some time
    due to the "if it aint broke don't fix it" clause. Also, I am using an older
    G3 iMac 400 with 256MB of RAM and I'm a little nervous that 10 is more than the
    machine can handle. (Silly concern?)

    I would probably continue to run 9.1 until I got a newer computer, but I just
    received an iPod as a gift and it requires 10.1.5 or higher.

    I use my iMac to run Photoshop 5.5 and 7.0, CD burning, internet, some sound
    editing applications and very occasionally other image editing software.

    Advice about data back up and software concerns would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you
    Slang755 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Advice on upgrading to 10

    In article <20030916111320.23450.00000855mb-m19.aol.com>,
    [email]slang755aol.com[/email] (Slang755) wrote:
    > Hello, stupid question here, but I need some advice about upgrading to OS
    > 10.2
    > from 9.1. I have the software, but I have been reluctant to do it for some
    > time
    > due to the "if it aint broke don't fix it" clause. Also, I am using an older
    > G3 iMac 400 with 256MB of RAM and I'm a little nervous that 10 is more than
    > the
    > machine can handle. (Silly concern?)
    >
    > I would probably continue to run 9.1 until I got a newer computer, but I just
    > received an iPod as a gift and it requires 10.1.5 or higher.

    So, now you need to *fix* it if you want to use iPod with it. You got
    the software for 10.2 now and you should use it now. What won't work in
    OS X will work in classic. So, go for it. Once you get used to the new
    OS, you will wonder why you didn't update earlier :-).

    > I use my iMac to run Photoshop 5.5 and 7.0, CD burning, internet, some sound
    > editing applications and very occasionally other image editing software.
    >
    > Advice about data back up and software concerns would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you

    Always backup your data. But, you don't need to reinitalize your
    computer. Just update 9.1 to 9.2.2 (free updates) and then install Mac
    OS-X.

    --
    Rodger
    Rodger Guest

  3. #3

    In article <20030916111320.23450.00000855mb-m19.aol.com>,
    [email]slang755aol.com[/email] (Slang755) wrote:
    > Hello, stupid question here, but I need some advice about upgrading to OS
    > 10.2
    > from 9.1. I have the software, but I have been reluctant to do it for some
    > time
    > due to the "if it aint broke don't fix it" clause. Also, I am using an older
    > G3 iMac 400 with 256MB of RAM and I'm a little nervous that 10 is more than
    > the
    > machine can handle. (Silly concern?)
    >
    > I would probably continue to run 9.1 until I got a newer computer, but I just
    > received an iPod as a gift and it requires 10.1.5 or higher.
    >
    > I use my iMac to run Photoshop 5.5 and 7.0, CD burning, internet, some sound
    > editing applications and very occasionally other image editing software.
    >
    > Advice about data back up and software concerns would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you
    I'm running OS X Server on a B&W G3/350 with 320M RAM (although I just
    ordered more RAM for it). Go for it.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: [url]http://www.mc-development.com/[/url]

  4. #4

    Slang755 <slang755aol.com> wrote:
    > Hello, stupid question here, but I need some advice about upgrading to OS
    > 10.2 from 9.1. I have the software, but I have been reluctant to do it for
    > some time due to the "if it aint broke don't fix it" clause.
    Since you already have the software, go for it.
    > Also, I am using an older G3 iMac 400 with 256MB of RAM and I'm a little
    > nervous that 10 is more than the machine can handle. (Silly concern?)
    You may want to add more RAM later, but that's sufficient for now, and
    so is 400 MHz. One thing you should know is that installing OS X leaves
    your OS 9 folder intact, and if for any reason you don't want to
    continue using OS X, you can easily and quickly return to running OS 9.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  5. #5

    In article <20030916111320.23450.00000855mb-m19.aol.com>,
    [email]slang755aol.com[/email] (Slang755) wrote:
    > Hello, stupid question here, but I need some advice about upgrading to OS
    > 10.2
    > from 9.1. I have the software, but I have been reluctant to do it for some
    > time
    > due to the "if it aint broke don't fix it" clause. Also, I am using an older
    > G3 iMac 400 with 256MB of RAM and I'm a little nervous that 10 is more than
    > the
    > machine can handle. (Silly concern?)
    >
    > I would probably continue to run 9.1 until I got a newer computer, but I just
    > received an iPod as a gift and it requires 10.1.5 or higher.
    >
    > I use my iMac to run Photoshop 5.5 and 7.0, CD burning, internet, some sound
    > editing applications and very occasionally other image editing software.
    >
    > Advice about data back up and software concerns would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you
    If you have the disk space, just install Mac OS X on top of your Mac OS
    9.1 system. Then book whichever version you feel comfortable with at
    the any givem moment. That is to say, keep your Mac OS 9.1 and dual
    boot (although you may have to upgrade the Mac OS 9.1 to a Mac OS 9.2.2,
    but that is another issue).

    If you have an external disk (does your system have Firewire?) then you
    could try installing and booting from the external disk until you are
    confortable with Mac OS X

    If you have your iMac partitioned, you could use an alternate partition
    to install Mac OS X and again, just boot into the version of the OS that
    you need today.

    If running Mac OS X is sluggish (and it may be when you fire up
    Photoshop), then consider upgrading to more memory. Photoshop loves
    memory :-)

    Get the Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X switchers book that was recently released
    (I've seen it in bookstores, but I do not remember the exact title).

    Get the Mac OS X Missing Manual by David Progue (Spelling?)

    Some people Mac OS X from the first time they try it, some people
    dislike it, some people it grows on, etc... Try to spend time playing
    with it and switching back to Mac OS 9 when you need to get something
    done and do not want to have to search for how to do it on Mac OS X.
    Try to give yourself unstressed time to play. Also reading some of the
    various Mac OS X books (those mentioned above, and others you may browse
    while drinking coffee in the bookstore).

    Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Harris Guest

  6. #6

    In article <20030916111320.23450.00000855mb-m19.aol.com>, Slang755
    <slang755aol.com> wrote:
    > Hello, stupid question here, but I need some advice about upgrading to OS 10.2
    > from 9.1. I have the software, but I have been reluctant to do it for some
    > time
    > due to the "if it aint broke don't fix it" clause. Also, I am using an older
    > G3 iMac 400 with 256MB of RAM and I'm a little nervous that 10 is more than
    > the
    > machine can handle. (Silly concern?)
    >
    > I would probably continue to run 9.1 until I got a newer computer, but I just
    > received an iPod as a gift and it requires 10.1.5 or higher.
    >
    > I use my iMac to run Photoshop 5.5 and 7.0, CD burning, internet, some sound
    > editing applications and very occasionally other image editing software.
    >
    > Advice about data back up and software concerns would be greatly appreciated.
    I have several iMac/400s around here that are running OS X 10.2x, but
    I've boosted them all to 512mb. No problems, and no performance issues
    that anybody has reported to me. That alone needn't be a concern.

    I can't speak to whether or not Photoshop runs well in Classic, nor can
    I speak to the sound editing apps. CD burning and the internet are
    certainly not going to be a problem.

    Back up your data, then run the installer. That's pretty standard; I'd
    do it before making an even minor upgrade. No real concerns,
    especially as you haven't had X on there before. I'm not sure how the
    installer handles 9.1. OS X requires 9.22; I know it automatically
    updates from 9.2 or 9.21, I don't know about 9.1. Pop the disk in and
    find out; you won't hurt anything.

    Zeph Guest