Professional Web Applications Themes

Advice on usage of Canon IS needed - Photography

Hi, I have just got my new 28-135 IS USM, and the manual is not very insightful. Can somebody out there help on one or more of these doubts: 1) I understand the IS kicks in as I press the shutter button halfway, and it takes approx. 1 sec to "warm up"; is there any clue that the IS is ready? I don't see any indication; 2) after I release the button, assuming I keep the camera power on, when I press it again, is there the 1 sec. delay again? Or is the IS ready right away? 3) the ...

  1. #1

    Default Advice on usage of Canon IS needed

    Hi,
    I have just got my new 28-135 IS USM, and the manual is not very
    insightful. Can somebody out there help on one or more of these doubts:

    1) I understand the IS kicks in as I press the shutter button halfway,
    and it takes approx. 1 sec to "warm up"; is there any clue that the IS
    is ready? I don't see any indication;

    2) after I release the button, assuming I keep the camera power on, when
    I press it again, is there the 1 sec. delay again? Or is the IS ready
    right away?

    3) the manual states IS will not operate effectively from a moving
    vehicle; what is your experience with that? In that situation, does IS
    help at least partially? does it harm?

    4) if I follow with the viewfinder a moving subject, to get a still
    subject on a moving background, may I keep IS on? Would it do any good
    or harm?

    Thank you very much.

    Regards,
    Fanta

    Fanta Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Advice on usage of Canon IS needed

    "Fanta" <fantanospam.it> wrote...
    > I have just got my new 28-135 IS USM, and the manual is not very
    > insightful. Can somebody out there help on one or more of these doubts:
    >
    > 1) I understand the IS kicks in as I press the shutter button halfway,
    > and it takes approx. 1 sec to "warm up"; is there any clue that the IS
    > is ready? I don't see any indication;
    Nope. No clues, except that the picture is less jiggly.
    > 2) after I release the button, assuming I keep the camera power on, when
    > I press it again, is there the 1 sec. delay again? Or is the IS ready
    > right away?
    I think it's another second.
    > 3) the manual states IS will not operate effectively from a moving
    > vehicle; what is your experience with that? In that situation, does IS
    > help at least partially? does it harm?
    Depending on the road and the construction of them, vehicles can be
    very shaky to not at all. However, most of the movements contributed
    by the vehicle are too drastic to be compensated by the IS. It just
    won't be able to do it, but will waste your time, patience, and the
    battery. Don't shoot from moving vehicles with IS.
    > 4) if I follow with the viewfinder a moving subject, to get a still
    > subject on a moving background, may I keep IS on? Would it do any good
    > or harm?
    28-135 has the first generation of IS. Newer lenses have a special
    switch to pan mode, which improves the behaviour of the IS when the
    lens is panned. It is better not to use IS when shooting moving
    objects, IMHO.

    More information could be found on the Web, I think. Try photo.net
    first.

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov Guest

  3. #3

    I occasionally see the image jump when the IS engages, and there is a quiet
    "whirring" sound when it is doing its job. Once the IS powers up, there is
    no delay in it re-engaging, or at least no appreciable delay.
    I haven't really had occasion to use IS from a moving vehicle, so I can't
    comment on that.
    The 28-135 IS won't pan effectively with IS engaged, it will try to correct
    for the lateral movement. Later models, like the 100-400IS will, they have
    a specific setting for panning with a moving object.
    I've had the 28-135 for about 4 years now, great little lens!

    --
    Skip Middleton
    [url]www.shadowcatcherimagery.com[/url]
    "Fanta" <fantanospam.it> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have just got my new 28-135 IS USM, and the manual is not very
    > insightful. Can somebody out there help on one or more of these doubts:
    >
    > 1) I understand the IS kicks in as I press the shutter button halfway,
    > and it takes approx. 1 sec to "warm up"; is there any clue that the IS
    > is ready? I don't see any indication;
    >
    > 2) after I release the button, assuming I keep the camera power on, when
    > I press it again, is there the 1 sec. delay again? Or is the IS ready
    > right away?
    >
    > 3) the manual states IS will not operate effectively from a moving
    > vehicle; what is your experience with that? In that situation, does IS
    > help at least partially? does it harm?
    >
    > 4) if I follow with the viewfinder a moving subject, to get a still
    > subject on a moving background, may I keep IS on? Would it do any good
    > or harm?
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Fanta