Professional Web Applications Themes

After Updating Expander... - Mac Applications & Software

When I updated Stuffit Expander to v7.0.3 by replacing earlier version with v7.0.3... same name and same location, downloaded files will NOT unstuff with Safari as they did before I updated. I figured that since I replaced the earlier Stuffit Expander with v7.0.3 in exactly the same location and exactly the same name that the updated Expander would do its thing just like the old one, but It doesn't appear to get called. What do I need to do to have Stuffit Expander recognized by Safari so Expander can be called to do its thing after downloading a Stuffit archive? ...

  1. #1

    Default After Updating Expander...

    When I updated Stuffit Expander to v7.0.3 by replacing earlier version
    with v7.0.3... same name and same location, downloaded files will NOT
    unstuff with Safari as they did before I updated.
    I figured that since
    I replaced the earlier Stuffit Expander with v7.0.3 in exactly the same
    location and exactly the same name that the updated Expander would do
    its thing just like the old one, but It doesn't appear to get called.

    What do I need to do to have Stuffit Expander recognized by Safari so
    Expander can be called to do its thing after downloading a Stuffit
    archive? TIA... Jim
    Jim Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: After Updating Expander...

    Jim wrote:
    > When I updated Stuffit Expander to v7.0.3 by replacing earlier version
    > with v7.0.3... same name and same location, downloaded files will NOT
    > unstuff with Safari as they did before I updated.
    > I figured that since
    > I replaced the earlier Stuffit Expander with v7.0.3 in exactly the same
    > location and exactly the same name that the updated Expander would do
    > its thing just like the old one, but It doesn't appear to get called.
    >
    > What do I need to do to have Stuffit Expander recognized by Safari so
    > Expander can be called to do its thing after downloading a Stuffit
    > archive? TIA... Jim

    Had this problem myself. Make sure there's a copy of Stuffit Expander in
    the /Applications/Utilities folder. It would appear that many other
    apps look for it there rather than in a separate Stuffit folder.

    You only need Expander in the Utilities folder, DropStuff, DropZip and
    the rest can stay in the "/Applications/Stuffit Standard 7.0.3" folder.

    This would make sense if you figure that not everyone will have the same
    version of Stuffit in the Applications folder.

    HTH

    Kyle

    Kyle Guest

  3. #3

    Jim wrote:
    > In <PTmdnYUzK-lrxGejXTWJiAmagma.ca> Kyle wrote:
    > | Jim wrote:
    > | > When I updated Stuffit Expander to v7.0.3 by replacing earlier
    > | > version with v7.0.3... same name and same location, downloaded
    > | > files will NOT unstuff with Safari as they did before I updated.
    > | > I figured that since
    > | > I replaced the earlier Stuffit Expander with v7.0.3 in exactly the
    > | > same location and exactly the same name that the updated Expander
    > | > would do its thing just like the old one, but It doesn't appear to
    > | > get called. What do I need to do to have Stuffit Expander
    > | > recognized by Safari so Expander can be called to do its thing
    > | > after downloading a Stuffit archive? TIA... Jim
    > |

    > | Had this problem myself. Make sure there's a copy of Stuffit Expander
    > | in the /Applications/Utilities folder. It would appear that many
    > | other apps look for it there rather than in a separate Stuffit
    > | folder.
    > |
    > | You only need Expander in the Utilities folder, DropStuff, DropZip
    > | and the rest can stay in the "/Applications/Stuffit Standard 7.0.3"
    > | folder.
    > |
    > | This would make sense if you figure that not everyone will have the
    > | same version of Stuffit in the Applications folder.
    > |
    > | HTH
    > |
    > | Kyle
    >
    > That's what I have... Stuffit Expander is by itself in the Utilities
    > folder, which is where the older version was... and the older version
    > worked (was called) when a .sit file was downloaded by Safari... Jim

    Well, I've been through all the preferences, /Library, /System/Library,
    ~/Library and the Safari package contents and cannot find where Safari
    gets told to use Stuffit Expander to open files. There does not seem to
    be anywhere (that I can find) where "helper" applications can be defined
    (as diferentiated from plugins). I was hoping, being that my
    installation is working, that we'd be able to at least locate the
    problem, if not fix it.

    Will kick things around again after work this afternoon.

    TTFN

    Kyle

    Kyle Guest

  4. #4

    In article <R-adnTSkDsR-T2ejXTWJhQmagma.ca>, Kyle <caolmagma.ca>
    wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    > > |

    > > | Had this problem myself. Make sure there's a copy of Stuffit Expander
    > > | in the /Applications/Utilities folder. It would appear that many
    > > | other apps look for it there rather than in a separate Stuffit
    > > | folder.
    > > |
    > > | You only need Expander in the Utilities folder, DropStuff, DropZip
    > > | and the rest can stay in the "/Applications/Stuffit Standard 7.0.3"
    > > | folder.
    > > |
    > > | This would make sense if you figure that not everyone will have the
    > > | same version of Stuffit in the Applications folder.
    > > |
    > > | HTH
    > > |
    > > | Kyle
    > >
    > > That's what I have... Stuffit Expander is by itself in the Utilities
    > > folder, which is where the older version was... and the older version
    > > worked (was called) when a .sit file was downloaded by Safari... Jim
    >

    > Well, I've been through all the preferences, /Library, /System/Library,
    > ~/Library and the Safari package contents and cannot find where Safari
    > gets told to use Stuffit Expander to open files. There does not seem to
    > be anywhere (that I can find) where "helper" applications can be defined
    > (as diferentiated from plugins). I was hoping, being that my
    > installation is working, that we'd be able to at least locate the
    > problem, if not fix it.
    >
    > Will kick things around again after work this afternoon.
    >
    > TTFN
    >
    > Kyle

    Dont know if it's still true, but "toward the begining" of Stuffit's
    history, the "engine" was incomatpible from version to version of
    Expander. If you had (let's just pull a number out for something to talk
    about) version 3.1 of Stuffit Deluxe installed, and instad of chasing
    right out and buying a fresh copy of Deluxe when it released, you just
    grabbed the new 4.0 version of Expander and installed that, you broke
    *EVERYTHING* Stuffit-related - Dropstuff, Deluxe, Expander, ALL of the
    package. At that point, you either trashed everythign to do with Deluxe
    *AND* Expander, and then started from scratch, or you didn't unstuff
    anything until you did.

    Nice little marketing ploy on Alladin's part... Also the mainreason I
    stayedwith an older version of Stuffit Deluxe for as long as I did.

    --
    Don Bruder - [email]dakiddsonic.net[/email] <--- Preferred Email - unmunged, SpamAssassinated
    Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.

  5. #5

    Don Bruder wrote:
    > In article <R-adnTSkDsR-T2ejXTWJhQmagma.ca>, Kyle <caolmagma.ca>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Jim wrote:

    >>>That's what I have... Stuffit Expander is by itself in the Utilities
    >>>folder, which is where the older version was... and the older version
    >>>worked (was called) when a .sit file was downloaded by Safari... Jim
    >>

    >>Well, I've been through all the preferences, /Library, /System/Library,
    >>~/Library and the Safari package contents and cannot find where Safari
    >>gets told to use Stuffit Expander to open files. There does not seem to
    >>be anywhere (that I can find) where "helper" applications can be defined
    >>(as diferentiated from plugins). I was hoping, being that my
    >>installation is working, that we'd be able to at least locate the
    >>problem, if not fix it.
    >>
    >>Will kick things around again after work this afternoon.
    >>
    >>TTFN
    >>
    >>Kyle
    >>

    > Dont know if it's still true, but "toward the begining" of Stuffit's
    > history, the "engine" was incomatpible from version to version of
    > Expander. If you had (let's just pull a number out for something to talk
    > about) version 3.1 of Stuffit Deluxe installed, and instad of chasing
    > right out and buying a fresh copy of Deluxe when it released, you just
    > grabbed the new 4.0 version of Expander and installed that, you broke
    > *EVERYTHING* Stuffit-related - Dropstuff, Deluxe, Expander, ALL of the
    > package. At that point, you either trashed everythign to do with Deluxe
    > *AND* Expander, and then started from scratch, or you didn't unstuff
    > anything until you did.
    >
    > Nice little marketing ploy on Alladin's part... Also the mainreason I
    > stayedwith an older version of Stuffit Deluxe for as long as I did.

    Another thought that came to me out of the blue: If you do a "Get Info"
    on a *.sit file, is the new installation of Stuffit the default "Open
    With" item?

    I'll wager that Saffari does the download to the designated folder then
    "double clicks" the file so that the default action takes place. Which
    would explain not having a list of "helpers" in Saffari.

    HTH

    Kyle

    Kyle Guest

  6. #6

    ca> Kyle wrote:
    Expander to v7.0.3 by replacing earlier
    same name and same location, downloaded
    unstuff with Safari as they did before I | >>>| > updated.
    figured that since
    with v7.0.3 in exactly | >>>| > the same location and exactly the
    same name that the updated | >>>| > Expander would do its thing just
    like the old one, but It | >>>| > doesn't appear to get called. What
    do I need to do to have | >>>| > Stuffit Expander recognized by Safari
    so Expander can be | >>>| > called to do its thing after downloading
    a Stuffit archive? | >>>| > TIA... Jim
    | >>>|
    | >>>|
    | >>>|
    Had this problem myself. Make sure there's a copy of Stuffit | >>>|
    Expander in the /Applications/Utilities folder. It would | >>>|
    appear that many other apps look for it there rather than in a | >>>|
    separate Stuffit folder.
    | >>>|
    the Utilities folder, DropStuff, | >>>| DropZip and the rest can
    stay in the "/Applications/Stuffit | >>>| Standard 7.0.3" folder.

    will have | >>>| the same version of Stuffit in the Applications
    folder.
    | >>>|
    | >>>|

    >>>That's what I have... Stuffit Expander is by itself in the |
    >>>Utilities folder, which is where the older version was... and the |
    >>>older version worked (was called) when a .sit file was downloaded |
    >>>by Safari... Jim
    | >>

    | >>Well, I've been through all the
    preferences, /Library, /System/ | >>Library, ~/Library and the Safari
    package contents and cannot find | >>where Safari gets told to use
    Stuffit Expander to open files. | >>There does not seem to be
    anywhere (that I can find) where "helper" | >>applications can be
    defined (as diferentiated from plugins). I was | >>hoping, being that
    my installation is working, that we'd be able to | >>at least locate
    the problem, if not fix it. Will kick things | >>around again after
    work this afternoon. TTFN Kyle

    | > Dont know if it's
    still true, but "toward the begining" of Stuffit's
    | > history, the
    "engine" was incomatpible from version to version of
    | > Expander. If
    you had (let's just pull a number out for something to | > talk about)
    version 3.1 of Stuffit Deluxe installed, and instad of | > chasing
    right out and buying a fresh copy of Deluxe when it | > released, you
    just grabbed the new 4.0 version of Expander and | > installed that,
    you broke *EVERYTHING* Stuffit-related - Dropstuff, | > Deluxe,
    Expander, ALL of the package. At that point, you either | > trashed
    everythign to do with Deluxe *AND* Expander, and then | > started from
    scratch, or you didn't unstuff anything until you did.

    | > Nice
    little marketing ploy on Alladin's part... Also the mainreason | > I
    stayedwith an older version of Stuffit Deluxe for as long as I | > did.

    | Another thought that came to me out of the blue: If you do
    a "Get | Info" on a *.sit file, is the new installation of Stuffit
    the | default "Open With" item?

    | I'll wager that Saffari does
    the download to the designated folder | then "double clicks" the file
    so that the default action takes place. | Which would explain not
    having a list of "helpers" in Saffari.

    | HTH
    |
    | Kyle

    Not
    sure I agree with this. After Safari has downloaded a sit file and
    Stuffit Expander does not launch, I go to the Finder and double-click on
    the file and Expander launches, unstuffing the file. If Get Info was
    declaring some other application for the sit file, then that is the
    application that would be called to try to unstuff it.
    I believe the
    answer lies somewhere in the Frameworks aspect of the Universal Library.
    A folder called Stuffit.framework eventually contains and alias called
    Stuffit which points to a file a little deeper called Stuffit. I don't
    know what this file contains, but my guess is that it has the info to
    call Suffit Expander and Safari is using this route. Path is:
    Library -
    > Frameworks -> Stuffit.framework -> Versions -> A -> Stuffit
    This file
    was present when I simply replaced an older version of Stuffit Expander
    with Stuffit Expander v7.0.3. There must be something that is version
    sensitive in the above file because when I did a formal install of
    Stuffit Standard 7.0.3, it sppears this file was replaced and not sit
    downloads by Safari unstuff as they did before I did the simple
    replacement of Expander... Jim
    Jim Guest