Professional Web Applications Themes

AGP Graphics cards - Mac Applications & Software

Hi there, I hope to be a much more regular reader of these newsgroups soon, since i've just placed an order for the first MAC I will ever have owned (after years of PC use, i'm pretty excited :-). Anyway, I hope this isn't a ridiculous question, and I imagine the answer is no, but anyway... The PC I'm replacing has a fairly decent graphics card - a GeForce 3 with AGP connection. This is better spec'd than the card in the iMac i've ordered ( [url]http://tinyurl.com/fim7[/url] ) so I was wondering if it was possible to use it in ...

  1. #1

    Default AGP Graphics cards

    Hi there,

    I hope to be a much more regular reader of these newsgroups soon, since
    i've just placed an order for the first MAC I will ever have owned
    (after years of PC use, i'm pretty excited :-).

    Anyway, I hope this isn't a ridiculous question, and I imagine the
    answer is no, but anyway...

    The PC I'm replacing has a fairly decent graphics card - a GeForce 3
    with AGP connection. This is better spec'd than the card in the iMac
    i've ordered ( [url]http://tinyurl.com/fim7[/url] ) so I was wondering if it was
    possible to use it in the iMac?

    Cheers,

    Paul C

    Paul Curren Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: AGP Graphics cards

    Paul Curren <pacurrenyahoo.co.uk> writes:

    > I hope to be a much more regular reader of these newsgroups soon,
    > since i've just placed an order for the first MAC I will ever have
    > owned (after years of PC use, i'm pretty excited :-).
    First off, it's "Mac", not "MAC". Mac is a short form of "Macintosh"
    and is not an acronym of anything.

    "MAC" normally is an acronym that refers to a network card's layer-2
    address.
    > The PC I'm replacing has a fairly decent graphics card - a GeForce 3
    > with AGP connection. This is better spec'd than the card in the iMac
    > i've ordered ( [url]http://tinyurl.com/fim7[/url] ) so I was wondering if it
    > was possible to use it in the iMac?
    In an iMac? No not at all. iMacs have no slots, so there's nothing
    to plug it in to. The video card in an iMac (GeForce 2MX for the 15"
    or 4MX for the 17") is built-in to the motherboard and can't be
    replaced.

    If you were getting a PowerMac G4 tower system, it would be a more
    interesting question. PC video cards won't have a Mac-compatible
    ROM, so you won't be able to use it for the screen that the Mac boots
    up on, but you might be able to use it for a secondary display if you
    can get a device driver for it. Getting such a device driver,
    however, is easier said than done.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  3. #3

    foo <foobar.com> writes:

    >> If you were getting a PowerMac G4 tower system, it would be a more
    >> interesting question. PC video cards won't have a Mac-compatible
    >> ROM, so you won't be able to use it for the screen that the Mac
    >> boots up on, but you might be able to use it for a secondary
    >> display if you can get a device driver for it. Getting such a
    >> device driver, however, is easier said than done.
    >
    > I'm using one now as my primary display (my only display) for a GigE
    > G4. Works great. It took about 3 minutes to flash the ROM on it,
    > and then everything worked great. Cost $80 and delivers far faster
    > speed than the similarly priced GF4MX Apple/MacSales offer.
    I assume you used a PC to flash the ROM. It would be kind of hard to
    do it from the Mac, since you wouldn't get a boot screen without the
    flash update.

    Will this always work? I know that a similar technique can be used
    to get PC-type Adaptec SCSI cards to work with Macs, but it doesn't
    work with all cards, because some don't have enough flash to hold the
    Mac image. I don't know if there are similar concerns with nVidia's
    boards.

    Nevertheless, it's a moot point for the OP, since he's got an iMac.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  4. #4

    On 29 Jun 2003 00:29:55 -0400, [email]shaminotechie.com[/email] (David C.) wrote:
    >foo <foobar.com> writes:
    >>>
    >>> If you were getting a PowerMac G4 tower system, it would be a more
    >>> interesting question. PC video cards won't have a Mac-compatible
    >>> ROM, so you won't be able to use it for the screen that the Mac
    >>> boots up on, but you might be able to use it for a secondary
    >>> display if you can get a device driver for it. Getting such a
    >>> device driver, however, is easier said than done.
    >>
    >> I'm using one now as my primary display (my only display) for a GigE
    >> G4. Works great. It took about 3 minutes to flash the ROM on it,
    >> and then everything worked great. Cost $80 and delivers far faster
    >> speed than the similarly priced GF4MX Apple/MacSales offer.
    >
    >I assume you used a PC to flash the ROM. It would be kind of hard to
    >do it from the Mac, since you wouldn't get a boot screen without the
    >flash update.
    You can drag the AppleScript into your System 9 Startup Items folder
    and it will work too...
    >Will this always work?
    For an Asus 8200 Pure GeForce 3 card it will.
    >I know that a similar technique can be used
    >to get PC-type Adaptec SCSI cards to work with Macs, but it doesn't
    >work with all cards, because some don't have enough flash to hold the
    >Mac image. I don't know if there are similar concerns with nVidia's
    >boards.
    One must tread carefully and Google well.
    >Nevertheless, it's a moot point for the OP, since he's got an iMac.
    Agreed.
    foo Guest

  5. #5

    "Paul Curren" <pcurrencisco.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your comments about upgrading the iMac, and apologies for the
    > mis-type of Mac - seems to have upset a lot of people (via personal
    > e-mail). It's just like the good old days of usenet where you used to
    > get flamed for using the wrong quote characters and other such
    > bities ;-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Paul C

    yeah, the more you are on here you will see how defensive some of the folks
    are. Pretty nutty.

    -g-

    geech Guest

  6. #6

    "Avelino Santa Ana Jr." <aS2PdAaMjmSaPc.cAoMm> wrote in message
    > In article <be28750267ienews3.newsguy.com>,
    > "geech" <chdorrCRPattbi.com> wrote:
    >
    > > "Paul Curren" <pcurrencisco.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for your comments about upgrading the iMac, and apologies for
    the
    > > > mis-type of Mac - seems to have upset a lot of people (via personal
    > > > e-mail). It's just like the good old days of usenet where you used to
    > > > get flamed for using the wrong quote characters and other such
    > > > bities ;-)
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > >
    > > > Paul C
    > > >
    > > yeah, the more you are on here you will see how defensive some of the
    folks
    > > are. Pretty nutty.
    > >
    > > -g-
    > >

    > I'm surprised no one jumped on you for top posting. That usually gets a
    > lot of people's panties in a bunch. Hilarious...
    that's why I took the lower route in my posting. generally hilarious, but
    the griping gets old real quick like. what a pressing issue.

    -g-

    geech Guest