Professional Web Applications Themes

Ai CS2 - Objects Created With Transform Effect Do Not Print - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I did a project as described in Ai CS2 Classroom in a Book, Chapter 3 - Transforming Objects. In this project you design a business card and then using Object > Transform  page. There is a tip which says that instead of using Object > Transform > Transform Each, you can apply transform as an effect from Effect > Distort & Transform > Transform. I did just that. My business cards are nicely spread along the page and in my layers palette I have just one instance of business card so that I can conveniently type employee name, title etc ...

  1. #1

    Default Ai CS2 - Objects Created With Transform Effect Do Not Print

    I did a project as described in Ai CS2 Classroom in a Book, Chapter 3 -
    Transforming Objects.

    In this project you design a business card and then using Object > Transform
    page.

    There is a tip which says that instead of using Object > Transform >
    Transform Each, you can apply transform as an effect from Effect > Distort &
    Transform > Transform. I did just that. My business cards are nicely spread
    along the page and in my layers palette I have just one instance of business
    card so that I can conveniently type employee name, title etc in just one
    place.

    The problem is when I want to print this page full of business cards. In
    print preview window and on the printed page I get just one instance of
    business card.

    I've searched and googled high and deep, but hard luck.

    Any pointers?
    TIA
    Dusko Savatovic

    Dusko_Savatovic@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    It works as expected for me here, Dusko. Applying a transform effect twice for example can give 10 business cards on a page, but with only 1 editable instance. Previews and prints perfectly. Round up the usual suspects, but I would start with a current printer driver.

    DO
    Dan_Olech@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    This will happen if you apply the Transform effect to the layer instead of the card itself (i.e., if in the Layers palette the bump is on the Layer and not on the group representing the card).

    It is a bug, and has been reported.

    Here is another thread about it:

    Teri Pettit, "Printing after Transform" #1, 7 Jul 2005 7:19 pm </cgi-bin/webx?13.3bbb3c6d/0>
    Teri Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Dan and Teri.

    Yes, Teri, this is exactly what I did. I laid down everything nicely in
    layers for text, logo, background, guides and trim marks. It then seemed
    easier to me to select respecting layers than to click elements around.
    Thanks again. Now that I know, I hope I'll remember it for the future.

    Dusko Savatovic