Professional Web Applications Themes

AI CS2 won’t list any fonts in the dropdown lists - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Throw the damn thing out and go back to CS, or 10....

  1. #1

    Default Re: AI CS2 won’t list any fonts in the dropdown lists

    Throw the damn thing out and go back to CS, or 10.
    Bert Guest

  2. #2

    Just in case it's a video driver problem, as a diagnostic, turn down
    your hardware acceleration to zero.

    Also do a system wide search for adobefnt*.LST files and delete all you
    find - there could be dozens of them! - they will be rebuilt as required.

    Lastly, how many fonts do you have active? Cut the number down to < 150
    (remembering that Roman, Italic, Bold and Bold Italic versions = 4 fonts)
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I indeed have many more fonts than 150 installed, but I have no problem with version 9 OR ANY OTHER WINDOWS APPLICATION.

    You mean to tell me AI CS2 breaks when there are more than 150 fonts?
    A_Hall@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    if the amount of numerous fonts is a problem you might want to consider getting a font manager. s though if CS2 cant handle a lot of fonts.
    Kelly_R@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    There is a more fundamental problem…which ones are safe to remove? The fonts that are on my computer are there because they are in use by other applications or doents! Further I have some large technical doents that may utilize 150 different fonts when you take into account the versions and symbol based fonts for math and science.

    Has Adobe released any “official” info on why AI CS2 breaks and what they are going to do to fix it? Or any guidelines about what fonts should not be removed from the system?

    Also what additional font management tool is supported with AI CS2? I seem to remember something about some tools not working with AI CS2!
    A_Hall@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Default AI CS2 won't list any fonts in the drop down lists

    >>You mean to tell me AI CS2 breaks when there are more than 150 fonts?<<

    No, that's not what I said. However the machine as a whole will perform
    better with fewer fonts, and it's quite possible that a corrupt font
    could be causing your problem. By reducing the number you will make it
    far easier to identify which one is corrupt should that be the case.
     [/ref]

    Fonts are a system-level thing. Provided a font manager works with the
    fonts and O/S you are are running it doesn't matter what other software
    is on the machine.
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Version 9 of AI and ALL MY OTHER APPS work just fine so you ARE effectively saying AI CS2 breaks!!!

    Please don't make this forum an Adobe Spin-Zone. I just want the problem resolved and I am willing to spend my time (and money) to do it, but not if Adobe is so arrogant that they expect their customers to dedicate an OS installation to run only their products. And yes that is EXACTLY what you are saying (even if you don’t realize it). There are 338 fonts on my computer an every other application has no problem using them!

    Whew!...now back to the problem. If AI CS2 can’t manage too many and/or corrupted fonts what does Adobe consider corrupted and how should I identify them, since I obviously can’t simply uninstall all my fonts?
    A_Hall@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    >>There are 338 fonts on my computer an every other application has no
    problem using them!<<

    There should be no problem with that number, but Adobe applications read
    font meta data that other applications don't bother with. The fact that
    a font works in another application doesn't mean that it will work with
    Adobe applications, or it is not either corrupt or just badly made.
     [/ref]

    And so far I have been prepared to spend MY time trying to assist you,
    but apparently you choose not to try any of the suggestions. Why you
    should choose to lambast other users who are attempting to help you with
    no reward for doing so, and in their own time, is beyond me.

    I suggest you telephone Adobe Customer Support and PAY for support in
    future rather than shouting the odds at those who try to help you.
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I have just under 4000 fonts on my hard drive, and just under 600 are currently active. AI CS2 works fine for me. So AI does not have a problem with lots of good fonts.

    But as Len is trying to explain to you, it only takes one corrupt font to cause problems. If you do not have a decent font manager that can verify your fonts, then at least temporarilly removing a large number of them can help to pinpoint whether a bad font is the cause of your problem.

    You didn't mention whether this is a fresh install or if this problem started after a while. You also didn't mention whether you tried Len's other suggestions.
    Daverj@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Len,

    First I am not lambasting anyone except Adobe. The mere fact that you would perceive it that way and reply as you have is clear evidence that you have bias that blinds you to a simple truth…AI CS2 does not properly enumerate the fonts…Period! Don’t take it personally!

    I did implement all of your solutions I could, but when I replied with my question for how I should go about removing fonts that I must have for other programs and doents you simply ignored that point. I guess because it was a good one, for which you did not have an answer. And if you will go back read your own post you first said there were simply too many. No mention of them being corrupt. One other point… no one should have to PAY Adobe for a #$% problems like this.

    ALL the fonts can’t be corrupt, many our Adobe’s own. A WELL WRITTEN ROUTINE for enumerating the fonts would not trash the entire font list simply because one or more are corrupt. At the very least it should display an error message.

    Whew! once again…now back to the problem.

    Dave,

    Thanks for the feedback, its encouraging to here that CS2 does not have a 150 font limit.

    I did try Len’s other suggestions, but I did not know where to start on the “150 is too many suggestion” since I need nearly all the fonts that are installed. I did not know that font managers explicitly validate the structure of a font. I find it curious that Adobe would expect their customers to purchase an additional product simply to get CS2 to work. You have really made my point for me… why doesn’t CS2 validate them enough to at least list them in the drop down boxes since they appear in the menu. Why the inconsistency?

    This is a fresh install of the eval version, that's why I keep mentioning version 9. I’m trying to determine if it make sense to upgrade now to CS2. So far it doesn’t and you would think someone from Adobe would care enough to monitor this forum and make some helpful comments and close the sale. I guess they don’t, that’s evidence of the arrogance I mentioned previously in this tread.

    Can you recommend a “decent” font manager other than the one that is built into Windows XP? Last time I used anything was ATM in the early 90s.
    A_Hall@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Hi Dave, I hope all is well (and well underway). I believe you know this is generally a nice and friendly place (how could it not be, with Len here).
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    simply too many. N<<

    I said no such thing, I merely suggested you cut the number to < 150 after asking how many you had active.

    This is a User To User forum. Adobe aren't here.

    On YOUR machine, apparently not. However as that is not a situation common with other users, I don't see the balme being with Illustrator.

    <<

    On the contrary, the answer is a font management application where you can create font sets by client, font type, application, doent or any other system which suits your particular workflow and which can be activated/deactivated easily and quickly.

    However, we have now established that you aren't running with an excessive nuumber of fonts active, so the question is somewhat moot at this point.

    Have you tried deleting your aiperefs file as per the Forum FAQs FAQ#2, BTW? Always worth doing that when Illustrator misbehaves before getting into serious fault finding on a machine.
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Len

    It’s obvious you can't see your own bias even when the basic fact is that, as I said before...

    "A WELL WRITTEN ROUTINE for enumerating the fonts would not trash the entire font list simply because one or more are corrupt. At the very least it should display an error message."

    Another way of looking at it, in a way you MIGHT be able to understand is...Why doesn’t AI CS2 ITSELF perform a minimal amount of validity checking JUST LIKE a font management application so it can at least display and error.

    You are obviously are not reading my posts in their entirety so your comments are not helpful nor appreciated. Please discontinue your participation in this tread so the issue is not clouded by you spin.

    Thank You.
    A_Hall@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Hi all

    Since it is clear AI CS2 can’t validate fonts can anyone recommend a good font manager/validator?
    A_Hall@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I have finally resolved this issue by uninstalling and reinstalling...to the SAME computer LEN.
    A_Hall@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    {golf clap}
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    OK Harron, now I need a translation (I am pretty sure how Bert would translate golf clap). steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Basically, polite applause, Steve. My specific intent was "meager, disinterested applause."

    From the Online Slang Dictionary: n 1. a quiet clap, originating at golf competitions, whereby one pats the base of one palm lightly with the fingers of the other hand.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Something useful to add to my vocabulary. Thanks.
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest