Professional Web Applications Themes

AICS: Exporting Legacy EPS - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I'm saving an Illustration as a version 8 EPS, and having some trouble. 1. I thought there was an option to convert text to paths, but I see no option for that in the export dialogue. 2. I have some paths with multiple strokes (to simulate the median of a highway on a map) but the exported file does not show the inner, topmost path. Switching to outline view shows the path is there (but as an expanded closed path with fills, not strokes). Filling this path is a nightmare operation, due to the transparency of overlapping objects....

  1. #1

    Default AICS: Exporting Legacy EPS

    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: AICS: Exporting Legacy EPS

    Solved Problem 1. Option was burried in "Doent Setup". Not very intuitive. Since it affects export AI and EPS files, I feel that is where the command belongs.

    Problem 2 is ongoing, and a leftover from Ilustrator 10. Any help out there?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Scott,

    can you specify what kind of transparancy/fill methods were used. With AI 10.0.3 I cannot reproduce your problem…

    I hope I understand you right. One stroke of the multiple stroke has a colour in the AI-file and the corresponding EPS Version 8 has unfilled paths instead? Curious.

    Kurt Gold
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I hope I understand you right. One stroke of the multiple stroke has a
    colour in the AI-file and the corresponding EPS Version 8 has unfilled
    paths instead? Curious.

    Not quite. The V.8 EPS file has all strokes converted to closed, filled shapes. This includes both the thick black stroke for the roads, and the thinner green stroke for the median, that is an added stroke in the appearance palette. However, the green stroke (converted to closed and filled path) is black in the EPS file. Illustrator is clearly exporting the path, but not the stroke's colour. This problem also exists when using "Save for Web". The S4W preview, as well as the JPEG saved, do not show the thin upper stroke.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Can you provide a sample AI file (Version 10)?

  6. #6

    How would I do that?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Give us a link. Possible?

  8. #8

    Original AICS file: <http://www.vcn.bc.ca/~sfalkner/Livorno.ai>

    Exported EPS file: <http://www.vcn.bc.ca/~sfalkner/Livorno.eps>
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Scott,

    could you provide an AI 10 file? I cannot open the AI 11 file at the moment. No CS in house…

  10. #10

    Scott,

    When you save to Legacy files from CS Illustrator it tells you that not all functions will end up the same. Remember that version 8 was EPS based and now Illustrator is PDF based. I got the same results when changing to legacy EPS 8. But with the little double stroke to that path, wouldn't it be easy to copy (Control C) the stroked path, then paste in front (Control F), then arrow it down in each case? At least you know that will work in version 8. No fill problem with doing it that way and no hard extended curves that will make it look bad, I don't believe.

    Or, unless you need it in vector, you could rasterize the whole thing and use that.

    To convert text to paths, you must first select all text, then Type, Convert to Outlines.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Oh it's possible for me to do that. Even easier is to Expand Appearance. This will, in one command, convert the double-stroke to a thin green path overlapping the thick black path. There are still three problems with that "solution":

    1. It requires a conscious recall of how over path was created in order to apply it to all paths.

    2. It's an extra step that shouldn't be needed.

    3. (perhaps the clincher) It doesn't work. The EPS file saved looks just like the one posted.

    We are long, L-O-N-G, oversue to receive an upgrade from Adobe. All us beta-testers should be compensated instead of charged, don't you think?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Scott,

    When you convert your .ai file to .eps current version you get the same image as .ai format. Why would a fix for that be needed? And because version 8 eps can't use version 11 files or functions isn't new to any program. Backgrading files has always been a problem and some programs you can't do it past one or two versions at all.

  13. #13

    When you convert your .ai file to .eps current version you get the same
    image as .ai format.

    Agreed, but not the universal compatibility with prepress workflows that version 8 files provide.

    And because version 8 eps can't use version 11 files or functions isn't
    new to any program. Backgrading files has always been a problem and some
    programs you can't do it past one or two versions at all

    But then why provide a command to export to Illustrator 8 EPS, but not accurately do so? Yes, there will be a loss of editing functions -- I accept that and have no complaints (well, the uselessless of eported text is a complaint; a fix should be part of the upgrade, but I'm not holding my breath). Until now, I have been able to export most AI 10 files to version 8 without trouble.

    In this case, I'm saving two overlapping strokes, masked by a filled and stroked object (as well as some stuff on lower layers that involves transparency, and exports acceptably). This is something possible in Illustrator since long before version 8, so the only explanation for the error in exporting the image is a bug. OK, so I have to use a buggy program (this is a Windows forum, so we all know what that's like). I'm seeking a reliable and simple solution to my problem that I can rely on, especially with complex files, where the details are difficult to scan, and I live in fear of only seeing then in a printed piece.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Scott,

    I'm still thinking that something goes wrong here that perhaps could be avoided, but I need an AI 10 file to look for that…

  15. #15

    The problem with giving an AI 10 file is it still needs to be exported to AI 10, which might make a subtle change to the file. More significant is, I'm not using AI 10. I need a solution that works in AI 11 (11? is that Craps?). So I won't bother to make a v. 10 file which can only be tested in software I do not have.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Hello Scott...

    Remove the overprint from the inner topmost path before exporting to AI 8...

    Poul Solbjerg

    Poul_Solbjerg_Holst@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Thanks for that suggestion, Overprint Stroke was selected, but it did not help to change it. Mort puzzling is the Save For Web images also don't show the topmost stroke. If I Expand Appearance (creating two strokes) it still does not show. If I Expand (creating filled paths) it STILL does not show. Bizarre! What did work was Expand Appearance, Expand, Make Compound Path, correct path direction in appearance palette. Anyone still willing to call this anything but a bug?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Hello Scott...

    I took your ai file, removed the overprint on the topmost stroke, and
    then exported to AI 8 eps.. It worked .. I did no expanding or anything...

  19. #19

    Bizarre. Then your Illustrator is different from mine!

    Hold on a moment, I'll go do it just as you described...

    Nope, not working for me. Is there a version higher than 11.0.0? That's what I've got.

    Maybe I have too many buttons on my mouse.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Just to be sure I did it again.... opened your ai file, in the apperance
    palette selected the topmost stroke ( the yellow one ), removed the
    overprint, and exported as ai8 legacy eps.. It Worked...
    I'm using CS BTW...

    Poul Solbjerg

    Poul_Solbjerg_Holst@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast