Professional Web Applications Themes

airport and self assigned IP address - Mac Networking

I am usually proud of my ability to help friends out with their computer problems, but I was stumped by a friend who has an iBook with 10.2 and an airport card. Her computer suddenly could not connect to a Netgear MR314 wireless router (that I had set up) after many months of working fine. It sees the router just fine--full signal strength, but no browsing or email works. Looking at the Network pane, I saw that it had a self-assigned IP address (the 169.254 number), instead of what it was supposed to have, a 192. number (using DHCP). I ...

  1. #1

    Default airport and self assigned IP address

    I am usually proud of my ability to help friends out with their computer
    problems, but I was stumped by a friend who has an iBook with 10.2 and
    an airport card. Her computer suddenly could not connect to a Netgear
    MR314 wireless router (that I had set up) after many months of working
    fine. It sees the router just fine--full signal strength, but no
    browsing or email works.

    Looking at the Network pane, I saw that it had a self-assigned IP
    address (the 169.254 number), instead of what it was supposed to have, a
    192. number (using DHCP).

    I opened up my G4 laptop, typed in the WEP password, and immediately got
    a connection. Similarly my wife has no trouble with her iBook.

    So--I think it must be some setting in my friend's laptop. I tried
    everything I could think of: turning off and on the airport network to
    get it to renew the DHCP lease, removing any preferences files that I
    could find (including eventually the entire ~/Library/Preferences
    folder), logging out, restarting, using a fixed IP address that should
    be in the range assigned by the router, using

    sudo ifconfig en1 down ; sudo ifconfig en1 up

    to turn off and on the network. I also had her upgrade to 10.2.8.

    To beat the band, when I brought the computer to my home, where we have
    an Apple Airport, it connected (using DHCP) just fine. it also works
    just fine with a cat5 ethernet connection to the network.

    One mystery was that I was never able to find a preference file that
    would make her computer completely forget its airport settings. When it
    starts up it has a long pause at the "starting up network" pane, as it
    is trying to get an IP number I guess, an when it comes on it already is
    connected to this airport. I wonder where the settings file is for
    airport connections?

    Anyway. I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    --
    James Meiss
    <http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>

  2. #2

    Default Re: airport and self assigned IP address

    On 5/8/04 1:50 PM, in article
    colorado.edu, "James Meiss"
    <invalid> wrote:

    When this happens to me (and it has with either the very same NetGear router
    or a LinkSys router) I have found that if I power off the router and start
    it again everything is OK. I suspect it has something to do with appletalk
    messages messing up the router since most of these routers don't handle
    appletalk over ethernet properly (although I recall that the Netgear is
    supposed to).

    John Guest

  3. #3

    On 2004-05-08 13:50:32 -0400, James Meiss <invalid> said:

    I was having the same problem with my Linksys wireless router and
    Airport Extreme card. I don't remember the exact article I read, maybe
    you could find it on MacFixIt or Mac OSX Hints, but it suggested
    turning off the IPv6 Address. Sure enough, when I turned it off and
    rebooted, everything was fine. Hope this helps.

    --
    Tony McDonough

    Antonio Guest

  4. #4

    In article <2004051422334216807%mcdonoabspamcoxnet>,
    Antonio B. McDonough <cox.net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > I was having the same problem with my Linksys wireless router and
    > Airport Extreme card. I don't remember the exact article I read, maybe
    > you could find it on MacFixIt or Mac OSX Hints, but it suggested
    > turning off the IPv6 Address. Sure enough, when I turned it off and
    > rebooted, everything was fine. Hope this helps.[/ref]

    Thanks. I'll certainly try this, and Johns' suggestion just to reboot
    the router (though I think my friend tried this).

  5. #5

    In article <colorado.edu>,
    James Meiss <invalid> wrote:

    Geez, I never get to be proud. ;-)

    I don't even know if this has anything to do with what you are
    talking about, but for what it is worth, I was told that my ISP
    changes IP addresses every so often. When it does, it confuses
    things (like my technical language?). When it happens, and it
    has happened three times, now, because I have an unusual set up
    (I will spare you the details), I disconnect power from the
    router, disconnect power from Airport Extreme--wait one whole
    minute and (in this order) put power back on the router, wait
    until the light is steady, then power up AP and make sure it is
    steady, then reboot the computer and from the menu, choose go,
    choose utilities and run the airport setup assistant. Voila! It
    works! (You may be able to do it without rebooting the system,
    but I always reboot).

    --
    Memory was given to mortals so that they might
    have roses in December.