Professional Web Applications Themes

AirPort Base Station as a bridge - Mac Networking

It seems that at the moment I have two routers in my network: I have a ZyXEL Prestige 645R ADSL 1-port Router and Airport Extreme Base Station connected to its only LAN port. PowerMac 8600 is connected to AirPort Base Station's LAN port and a PowerBook G4 connects wirelessly. a) Should I reconfigure the AirPort Base Station to act as a bridge? The ABS manual says that then "all AirPort and Ethernet computers need to have IP addresses set manually" -- does this mean they can't use DHCP from the ZyXEL? b) Or should I configure the ZyXEL as a ...

  1. #1

    Default AirPort Base Station as a bridge

    It seems that at the moment I have two routers in my network:

    I have a ZyXEL Prestige 645R ADSL 1-port Router and Airport Extreme Base
    Station connected to its only LAN port.

    PowerMac 8600 is connected to AirPort Base Station's LAN port and a
    PowerBook G4 connects wirelessly.

    a) Should I reconfigure the AirPort Base Station to act as a bridge? The
    ABS manual says that then "all AirPort and Ethernet computers need to
    have IP addresses set manually" -- does this mean they can't use DHCP
    from the ZyXEL?

    b) Or should I configure the ZyXEL as a DSL modem and let the ABS do
    PPPoE and act as a DHCP server to the 8600 and PB? I guess I would then
    have to disable "Route IP", enable "Bridge" and disable PPPoE in the
    ZyXEL setup?

    The network seems to work OK but I want to do this right. I may later
    have to add a hub or switch if I add more equipment to the network.

    --
    Matti Haveri <uta.fi> <http://www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/>
    Matti Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: AirPort Base Station as a bridge

    In article <suomi.net>,
    Matti Haveri <uta.fi> wrote:

    Why do you need the ZyXEL at all? The Extreme base station normally has
    the wireless side bridged to the ethernet (LAN) side. You could connect
    its WAN port to the DSL modem and let the ABS do the PPoE and DHCP
    functions. Later you can add a switch or hub to LAN port of the ABS, if
    necesary.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Support the 2004 Million Mom March on Washington DC
    Mother's Day, May 9, 2004
    visit <http://www.mmm2004.org/>
    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    Matti Haveri wrote:

    I use my airport as a bridge and it works fine. It passes DHCP through from my
    switch.

    When they say "set the addresses manually" they mean that you have to turn off
    the airports DHCP feature. Otherwise, it will be handing out it's own addresses
    and your wireless machines would end up on a different subnet (although since
    your router has only one port and nothings connected directly to it, that
    shouldn't be a problem either way.)

    Steve
    Small Guest

  4. #4

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    I got the ZyXEL DSL modem & router a few years before I got the AirPort
    Base Station.

    I guess now it would be logical to let ABS handle PPPoE and downgrade
    the ZyXEL to be a plain DSL modem.

  5. #5

    In article <49bec.119804$JO3.81989attbi_s04>,
    Small Tree Communications <com> wrote:

    So maybe I should not try to fix it because it works.

  6. #6

    In article <49bec.119804$JO3.81989attbi_s04>,
    Small Tree Communications <com> wrote:

    OK, I set the ABS as a bridge and it works OK. (I deselected the
    "Distribute IP addresses" checkbox in ABS's Network settings).

    I chose to set ABS as a bridge instead of the ZyXEL DSL modem/router
    because the DSL modem works OK and I didn't see anything relating to
    Multiplexing (LLC-based in my case), Virtual Path Identifier VPI (0) or
    Virtual Channel Identifier VCI (50) that AFAIK my ISP needs.

    Is it possible to configure Multiplexing, VPI or VCI in AirPort Base
    Station or does ABS handle them automatically? Or is this something the
    DSL modem handles and PPPoE can be left for the ABS?