Professional Web Applications Themes

AirPort Base Station vs. Others - Mac Networking

Hi all: I just purchased a Linksys Wireless-G router. Plugged it in, turn on AirPort, and I'm on the network! So why are Apple Base Stations twice the cost of other base stations? What do they do that other base station do not? ...for average home users that require a router for use with cable modems? I have 3/4 "bars" on my PowerBook, but my connection drops once every hour or so - this is very frustrating. Would I have better "reception" using Apple's Base Station? Is the Base Station also a router. Would I then need a switch (or ...

  1. #1

    Default AirPort Base Station vs. Others

    Hi all: I just purchased a Linksys Wireless-G router. Plugged it in,
    turn on AirPort, and I'm on the network! So why are Apple Base
    Stations twice the cost of other base stations? What do they do that
    other base station do not? ...for average home users that require a
    router for use with cable modems? I have 3/4 "bars" on my PowerBook,
    but my connection drops once every hour or so - this is very
    frustrating. Would I have better "reception" using Apple's Base
    Station? Is the Base Station also a router. Would I then need a
    switch (or hub) in addition to the Base Station? Or is it
    CableModem->Router->BaseStation? Thanks in advance.
    chitown_doc@hotmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: AirPort Base Station vs. Others

    In article <google.com>,
    com (com) wrote:

    The Airport base station is also a router; if you want more than one
    device wired to the LAN side, you would need a hub, switch, or router,
    though. If zero or one devices are hard wired to the LAN side, you
    won't need any other hardware.

    If you connect a switch or hub, it would plug into the LAN outlet of the
    base station. If you connect a router, it could go either between the
    base station and the cable modem, or it can go on the LAN side,
    depending on how you want things configured.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    com (com) wrote:

    The thing an Airport base station has going for it, is it is easier for
    a non-technical Mac user to setup, upgrade with new firmware, enable WEP
    security (same text munging algorithm). And the Airport base station
    communicates with the Macs base station status (someone nice when you
    have a dial-up connection).

    Having said that, if you are technically aware, can deal with hex WEP
    passwords, or want to run a wide open WiFi setup, then Yes, a 3rd party
    WiFi base station is perfectly acceptable and much cheaper.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    In article <zk3.dec.com>,
    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    Speaking of which, the Airport base station also has a modem, which most
    competing devices lack. That might or might not be important to
    someone, depending how they connect to the internet.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  5. #5

    In article <tph-BAE826.15524026112003localhost>,
    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > Speaking of which, the Airport base station also has a modem, which most
    > competing devices lack. That might or might not be important to
    > someone, depending how they connect to the internet.[/ref]

    And a USB port for printer sharing.

    I'm using a D-Link DI-624 802.11g router and it works great, although a
    few times I missed having the modem when my DSL connection went down.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: http://www.mc-development.com/

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>,
    com (com) wrote:

    Some Linksys routers do not pass AppleTalk between the wired and
    wireless sides. I replaced my SMB with an Airport when I found out it
    didn't pass Rendezvous between the wired and wireless sides. I decided
    that maximum Apple compatibility was more important than price.

    --
    Art Gorski * Mac Integration Staff * Rice University * Houston, Texas
    Remember to remove NOSPAM from address when replying via email