Well I guess things are a bit different in the UK than in the States.
When you get ADSL it comes into a DSL modem. From that comes ur
ethernet and u control what happens on that side. In the USA the DSL
companies give you the modem free. I guess in the early days they use
to make u buy if for anything between $99 and $299. But they are free
these days. Also the frequency splitters are supplied by the DSL
company and they are free also. The splitters split the voice and data
frequencies ... they wouldn't be forcing you to buy a voice/fax
splitter ... maybe u've got that bit wrong.

So I doubt you have to buy a router from them ... you will need a DSL
modem and if u have to pay for it .. well u have to pay for it. From
the ethernet port on the modem, you will connect a cable to your
Airport station. Your airport station is basically ur router.