Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport Card / Belkin Wireless Router - Mac Applications & Software

Installed a airport card (with adaptor) into an IMac G3. Installed the sofware. Replace my LinkSys router with the Belkin Wireless router, hooked up my G4, PC and printer. All work fine. When attempting to connect the IMac G3, I get no hits when I run the Airport Assistant: it's first order of business is to "scan" for a base station. It finds none. With Belkin technoid on line I moved the Belkin unit to the room with the IMac, sat it down next to it and the IMac still couldn't "scan" to find it. The Belkin persons next item ...

  1. #1

    Default Airport Card / Belkin Wireless Router

    Installed a airport card (with adaptor) into an IMac G3. Installed the
    sofware.

    Replace my LinkSys router with the Belkin Wireless router, hooked up my
    G4, PC and printer. All work fine.

    When attempting to connect the IMac G3, I get no hits when I run the
    Airport Assistant: it's first order of business is to "scan" for a base
    station. It finds none.

    With Belkin technoid on line I moved the Belkin unit to the room with
    the IMac, sat it down next to it and the IMac still couldn't "scan" to
    find it. The Belkin persons next item to read me was the that Belkin
    was defective or the Airport card was mis-installed.

    Called Apple. There they said that if the software was operable, and
    the "little baseball field" was appearing at the top, then it was
    installed correctly.

    Any advice?

    --
    ///---
    Gerry Scott-Moore Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Airport Card / Belkin Wireless Router

    Gerry Scott-Moore <222gggadelphia.net.invalid> wrote:
    > When attempting to connect the IMac G3, I get no hits when I run the
    > Airport Assistant: it's first order of business is to "scan" for a base
    > station. It finds none.
    Because you don't have one. You have a Belkin wireless router, not an
    Apple AirPort Base Station. Apple's software will only configure an
    Apple base station. What you need to do is set up your ~computer~ to
    join an existing wireless network, using either the AirPort Setup
    Assistant or the system network preferences.

    To configure the router, follow the directions in the Belkin manual. If
    you don't have a manual, you can download one from
    <http://www.belkin.com>. Configuring the Belkin router will probably
    involve connecting it to your iMac with an Ethernet cable and using your
    web browser to "go to" the router's built-in web page using its numeric
    IP address, probably 192.168.2.1.

    Two suggestions:

    (1) A better newsgroup for this question would have been
    comp.sys.mac.comm.

    (2) When asking for help, it is best to give the model number of the
    relevant hardware and the version number of the relevant software
    (application ~and~ operating system).
    Neill Massello Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1fycl7c.1vm3youj50dq0N%nmasselloearthlink.net> , Neill
    Massello <nmasselloearthlink.net> wrote:
    > > When attempting to connect the IMac G3, I get no hits when I run the
    > > Airport Assistant: it's first order of business is to "scan" for a base
    > > station. It finds none.
    >
    > Because you don't have one. You have a Belkin wireless router, not an
    > Apple AirPort Base Station. Apple's software will only configure an
    > Apple base station. What you need to do is set up your ~computer~ to
    > join an existing wireless network, using either the AirPort Setup
    > Assistant or the system network preferences.
    Bad nomenclature. It scans for a "network". That would be the Belkin
    item. I'm doing that via Airport Setup Assistant as you indicated.
    > To configure the router, follow the directions in the Belkin manual. If
    > you don't have a manual, you can download one from
    > <http://www.belkin.com>. Configuring the Belkin router will probably
    > involve connecting it to your iMac with an Ethernet cable and using your
    > web browser to "go to" the router's built-in web page using its numeric
    > IP address, probably 192.168.2.1.
    That's pretty much what the Belkin online tech did with me with no
    success.
    > Two suggestions:
    >
    > (1) A better newsgroup for this question would have been
    > comp.sys.mac.comm.
    >
    > (2) When asking for help, it is best to give the model number of the
    > relevant hardware and the version number of the relevant software
    > (application ~and~ operating system).
    Thanks for taking time to respond so completely.

    On advice from the Belkin tech-head I replaced the unit at MicroCenter.
    Simply swapped it out, brought it home, hooked it up and as I expected
    it didn't work.

    I opened up the IMac pulled the card made sure the antennae was firmly
    attached. It came out of the card as I removed it, so how firmly it
    was attached is debatable. I firmly attached it anew, and reinserted
    the card.

    Turned it on, ran airport set-up assistant, all is well.

    The problem, for others who may bump in to this thread, was apparently
    that the antennae was not fully attached to the card in the IMac.

    --
    ///---
    Gerry Scott-Moore Guest