Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport Client on Non-Airport WiFi Network - Mac Networking

We have successfully networked a Mac with an Airport client card to a Netgear MR814 802.11b wireless router. SSID broadcast is off, MAC access control is on, and we are using 128-bit WEP. The problem is that if the Mac is rebooted, the SSID and WEP key have to be manually reentered in the Airport configuration. There does not seem to be any way to store this configuration information as a network profile so that after rebooting the Mac can reconnect without reentering the configuration. I am hoping that we are missing something simple here. -- Mike Nitabach...

  1. #1

    Default Airport Client on Non-Airport WiFi Network

    --
    Mike Nitabach
    Michael Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Airport Client on Non-Airport WiFi Network

    In article <196.97.140>,
    Michael Nitabach <com> wrote:

    This would only happen if you're running a "closed" network, ie the
    router is set to not broadcast SSID. If so, this is a feature and not a
    problem.
    fishfry Guest

  3. #3

    On 2004-02-20 10:47:22 -0500, Michael Nitabach <com> said:

    In 10.2.8 at least, you need to check the options in network preferences:
    Join most recently used available network
    and
    Remember network password

    I jump around between four networks (two closed and two open, all
    non-apple waps) and have never had to reenter any airport info on my
    laptop.

    David Guest

  4. #4

    fishfry <com> wrote in

    > This would only happen if you're running a "closed" network, ie
    > the router is set to not broadcast SSID. If so, this is a feature
    > and not a problem.[/ref]

    It is a feature that presents a problem.

    --
    Mike Nitabach
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    David Turley <com> wrote in

    > In 10.2.8 at least, you need to check the options in network
    > preferences: Join most recently used available network
    > and
    > Remember network password[/ref]

    This machine is running 10.3.2, and there do not seem to be any such
    options, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I know close to nothing
    about Macs (I am trying to help a colleague), so if you could be more
    specific about exactly how to find these options, I would be grateful.

    --
    Mike Nitabach
    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:43:31 -0600, Michael Nitabach spoketh

    >It is a feature that presents a problem.[/ref]

    No. Turn on SSID broadcast, and problem solved...

    Lars M. Hansen
    www.hansenonline.net
    Lars Guest

  7. #7

    Lars M. Hansen <net> wrote in

    >>It is a feature that presents a problem.[/ref]
    >
    > No. Turn on SSID broadcast, and problem solved...[/ref]

    Yes. I don't want to broadcast the SSID.

    Every other 802.11 client I have ever used allows you to save as many
    network profiles as you desire. It lets *you*, the user, identify the
    network you wish to connect to, and with what configuration.

    To the extent that the Airport client does not allow this, it is
    poorly designed. You can call it a "feature", "no problem", "problem
    solved", or whatever you want. Bottom line: It's not letting me do
    what I want to do, and what every other wireless client I have ever
    used lets me do.

    --
    Mike Nitabach
    Michael Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:11:01 -0600, Michael Nitabach spoketh

    Broadcasting the SSID is not a significant security risk. I realize that
    you do not wish to do so, and that's fine. However, it seems you have
    only two alternatives: Broadcast the SSID, or toss the Mac...

    Lars M. Hansen
    www.hansenonline.net
    Lars Guest

  9. #9

    Lars M. Hansen <net> wrote in

    > Broadcasting the SSID is not a significant security risk. I
    > realize that you do not wish to do so, and that's fine. However,
    > it seems you have only two alternatives: Broadcast the SSID, or
    > toss the Mac...[/ref]

    Or keep typing in the SSID and WEP key every time the Mac gets
    rebooted.

    --
    Mike Nitabach
    Michael Guest

  10. #10

    In article <196.97.140>,
    Michael Nitabach <com> wrote:

    Try the following (Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther))

    Network System Preferences
    Airport Tab
    By default join: "A specific network"
    Network: your_ssid_name
    Password: your_WEP_password

    This may solve your problem.

    If you are using a different OS version, then I don't know if this stuff
    will work for you or not.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    In article <196.97.140>, Michael
    Nitabach <com> wrote:

    I am running 10.3.2 on a G4 iBook into a 'snow' Airport Base station
    with a 'closed' network (no SSID broadcast). The iBook remembers the
    SSID and password automatically after I follow the instructions in
    Airport help, i.e.,

    Whenever the iBook goes to sleep and reawakens, or if I turn off and on
    Airport from the Airport menu, the iBook connects without requiring the
    entry of the SSID or password.

    Cheers,

    Darrell

    --
    To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet2 (at)
    telus.net