) | 4 port 10/100 Ethernet switch -------> G3/400 desktop Mac | Graphite Airport Base Station IP 10.0.1.202 setup to Bridge WiFi to ethernet Has same SSID name as Airport Extreme Has same WEP password as Airport Extreme With this setup, I have a WiFi Roaming Setup. I can walk anywhere in my house and outside to the porch and remain connected, switching which base station services my needs depending on which has the strongest signal. Bob Harris [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <230420040938181987%Merlin@king.arthurs.court.com> <20040423125614.GE8020@hvk.local> <230420041643163422%Merlin@king.arthurs.court.com> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Bob [ip] => harris@zk3.dec. [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 6 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> and the WiFi connected Macs. If I am correct, then what you want to do is have 1 router in the house, and all other base stations set up to just bridge the ethernet. That is to say, only one base station should act as the router, providing DHCP and NAT services for the house. All other base stations should be set to disable DHCP and NAT services. For an Airport base station, then means going to the Airport Admin Utility, Network tab, and turn off "Distribute IP Addresses". The fine print at the bottom of the screen will change to say this base station is bridging Airport to the local ethernet. It will also say things like you have to manually configure your client computer IP addresses. This is only true if you do not have another router providing DHCP and NAT services, which you should have, otherwise, there is not point to this exercise. As an example here is my home setup DSL Modem | WAN port Airport Extreme base station (router/DHCP/NAT server) LAN port <--> | 10/100baseT switch --> goes to desktop B&W PowerMac G3/400MHz | Graphite Airport base station (only had 1 ethernet port) Configured to bridge the ethernet Configured with same SSID and WEP as Extreme base station We also have a 14" iBook and a 12" iBook in the house that are able to use WiFi roaming where the laptop switches to the base station with the strongest signal as I move from the back porch (where I am now) to the other side of the house without loosing any connections. The 2 keys to this are that the 2nd base station is just a bridge to the household ethernet so that when I switch base stations, I can still keep the same IP address, and that both base stations have the same SSID name and WEP password. Bob Harris [ref] > As an added complication, the base station connected to the cable modem > has just failed, see my other post. This still leaves me with the > "problem" that the AAU does not list the name of the base station. > > Incidentallly, a search of the Apple web site, eg: > > http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?yMvfacfKlPB.0@.6892442b > > suggests that this is happening to other installations and has to do > with the 3.4.x Airport software. > > Thanks for the continuing interest Tom. > > Merlin[/ref] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <230420040938181987%Merlin@king.arthurs.court.com> <20040423125614.GE8020@hvk.local> <230420041643163422%Merlin@king.arthurs.court.com> <270420040741547685%Merlin@king.arthurs.court.com> <270420042145540533%Merlin@king.arthurs.court.com> <020520041434037606%Merlin@king.arthurs.court.com> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Bob [ip] => harris@zk3.dec. [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 13 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Airport (Graphite) and Panther configuration problem - Mac Networking

Airport (Graphite) and Panther configuration problem - Mac Networking

I have two Graphite Airports base stations which I configured under OS 9.2.2 maybe a year ago. They have been working fine and I have not needed to configure them in the meantime. I just upgraded my Pismo (internal Apple Airport card) to Panther and Airport Admin Utility 3.4. Then I needed to reconfig the Airports. In the first instance the Admin Utility sees no Airports but I discovered that using the "other" button and enterig the IP address and password of one of them I can in fact see it and configure it. But. The other Airport does not ...

  1. #1

    Default Airport (Graphite) and Panther configuration problem

    I have two Graphite Airports base stations which I configured under OS
    9.2.2 maybe a year ago. They have been working fine and I have not
    needed to configure them in the meantime.

    I just upgraded my Pismo (internal Apple Airport card) to Panther and
    Airport Admin Utility 3.4. Then I needed to reconfig the Airports.

    In the first instance the Admin Utility sees no Airports but I
    discovered that using the "other" button and enterig the IP address and
    password of one of them I can in fact see it and configure it.

    But. The other Airport does not (as far as I can remember / determine
    from the records I kept) have a specified IP address. I took screen
    shots of the config pages I used and there is no IP address showing.

    First question: is it normal that the Graphite Airports don't show up
    in the config utility any more?

    Second question: what is the best way to discover the IP address the
    second Airport is using?

    Any help would be much appreciated!

    Thanks

    Merlin
    Merlin Guest

  2. #2

    In article <230420040938181987%arthurs.court.com>,
    Merlin <arthurs.court.com> wrote:

    I normally configure/maintain my Graphite BS via an ethernet connected
    machine and the Airport Admin Utility sees the base station right away.

    If you didn't set an IP address in the BS, it must still have the
    default which, as far as I remember, is 10.0.0.1. How are the two
    stations connected to your local network and to your ISP?

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Support the 2004 Million Mom March on Washington DC
    Mother's Day, May 9, 2004
    visit <http://www.mmm2004.org/>
    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    * Tom Stiller <net>, 2004-04-23 14:54 +0200:

    That's 10.0.1.1

    -Andre
    Andre Guest

  4. #4

    In article <local>, Andre Berger
    <de> wrote:

    > That's 10.0.1.1
    >
    > -Andre[/ref]

    Thank you both, it was that simple!

    OTOH I still don't understand why the Config Utility no longer shows
    the available networks by name. The look of the window suggests that
    this is what is going to happen, ie space for a list of networks, pick
    one to work with.

    I suspect (no evidence tho) that it now only works with Extreme
    Airports - which is not nice. Elsewhere OSX can see the networks by
    name, why not the config utility?

    Thanks again for your help!

    Merlin
    Merlin Guest

  5. #5

    In article <230420041643163422%arthurs.court.com>,
    Merlin <arthurs.court.com> wrote:

    What Config Utility? I only have the AirPort Admin Utility and it sees
    my Graphite base station right away from both the ethernet connected
    iMacs and (old) AirPort connected iBook. All machines are running
    10.3.3.

    Mother's Day, May 9, 2004
    visit <http://www.mmm2004.org/>
    Tom Guest

  6. #6

    In article <230420041643163422%arthurs.court.com>,
    Merlin <arthurs.court.com> wrote:

    > > That's 10.0.1.1
    > >
    > > -Andre[/ref]
    >
    > Thank you both, it was that simple!
    >
    > OTOH I still don't understand why the Config Utility no longer shows
    > the available networks by name. The look of the window suggests that
    > this is what is going to happen, ie space for a list of networks, pick
    > one to work with.
    >
    > I suspect (no evidence tho) that it now only works with Extreme
    > Airports - which is not nice. Elsewhere OSX can see the networks by
    > name, why not the config utility?
    >
    > Thanks again for your help!
    >
    > Merlin[/ref]

    I do not think it is Mac OS X.

    I have a Graphite Airport Base Station, and I have an Airport Extreme
    base station, and I have an iBook G4 with Airport Extreme card, and my
    wife has an iBook G3 with Airport (original) card, and we are both
    running Mac OS X 10.3.3, and we are both currently sitting on the sofa
    using the WiFi network (we are closest to the Graphite base station
    right now, so it is our access point).

    So it is not the version of Mac OS X, and it is not Airport vs Airport
    Extreme.

    Here is how I have our network setup.

    The Internet and comp.sys.mac.com :-)

    DSL Modem

    WLAN port
    Airport Extreme Base Station (as router) IP 10.0.1.1
    DHCP server/NAT Server
    LAN port (<-->)

    4 port 10/100 Ethernet switch -------> G3/400 desktop Mac

    Graphite Airport Base Station IP 10.0.1.202
    setup to Bridge WiFi to ethernet
    Has same SSID name as Airport Extreme
    Has same WEP password as Airport Extreme

    With this setup, I have a WiFi Roaming Setup. I can walk anywhere in my
    house and outside to the porch and remain connected, switching which
    base station services my needs depending on which has the strongest
    signal.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > What Config Utility? I only have the AirPort Admin Utility and it sees
    > my Graphite base station right away from both the ethernet connected
    > iMacs and (old) AirPort connected iBook. All machines are running
    > 10.3.3.[/ref]

    Sorry, I was being too loose in my terminology. The Airport Admin
    Utility does not see the (graphite) base stations until I hit the
    "other" button. Then, by inputting the 10.0.1.1 address with the
    password, it finds and displays the config. I would have expected the
    Utility to allow me to see and address the base stations by name -
    which it sounds as if yours does.

    Thanks

    Merlin
    Merlin Guest

  8. #8

    In article <270420040741547685%arthurs.court.com>,
    Merlin <arthurs.court.com> wrote:

    > > What Config Utility? I only have the AirPort Admin Utility and it sees
    > > my Graphite base station right away from both the ethernet connected
    > > iMacs and (old) AirPort connected iBook. All machines are running
    > > 10.3.3.[/ref]
    >
    > Sorry, I was being too loose in my terminology. The Airport Admin
    > Utility does not see the (graphite) base stations until I hit the
    > "other" button. Then, by inputting the 10.0.1.1 address with the
    > password, it finds and displays the config. I would have expected the
    > Utility to allow me to see and address the base stations by name -
    > which it sounds as if yours does.
    >[/ref]

    Sniffing the ethernet traffic, it appears that the first thing the Admin
    Utility does is to broadcast a request for base stations on the network
    to which it's connected. The base station responds with its
    particulars. If, for some reason, your base station and the querying
    computer are on different networks, or the Admin Utility doesn't know to
    what network it's connected, the query would fail and you'd have to poll.

    Mother's Day, May 9, 2004
    visit <http://www.mmm2004.org/>
    Tom Guest

  9. #9

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > > Sorry, I was being too loose in my terminology. The Airport Admin
    > > Utility does not see the (graphite) base stations until I hit the
    > > "other" button. Then, by inputting the 10.0.1.1 address with the
    > > password, it finds and displays the config. I would have expected the
    > > Utility to allow me to see and address the base stations by name -
    > > which it sounds as if yours does.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Sniffing the ethernet traffic, it appears that the first thing the Admin
    > Utility does is to broadcast a request for base stations on the network
    > to which it's connected. The base station responds with its
    > particulars. If, for some reason, your base station and the querying
    > computer are on different networks, or the Admin Utility doesn't know to
    > what network it's connected, the query would fail and you'd have to poll.[/ref]

    Thank you for keeping going on this, Tom, it's much apprecciated!

    As I recall, in previous versions of the AAU running under 9.2.2 I saw
    both my base stations in the window immediately the utility started up
    - which I came to expect.

    I thought that the Airport client could only connect to one base
    station at a time?

    I am using one of the base stations as my Internet link, the Admin
    Utility does not see it even tho' it is active and connected (albeit by
    wireless). I THINK this means that the base station and the querying
    computer are on the same network. I have yet to try connecting to the
    base station by ethernet and seeeing what happens then.

    Merlin
    Merlin Guest

  10. #10

    In article <270420042145540533%arthurs.court.com>,
    Merlin <arthurs.court.com> wrote:

    [Intermediate stuff snipped]

    > Thank you for keeping going on this, Tom, it's much apprecciated!
    >
    > As I recall, in previous versions of the AAU running under 9.2.2 I saw
    > both my base stations in the window immediately the utility started up
    > - which I came to expect.
    >
    > I thought that the Airport client could only connect to one base
    > station at a time?[/ref]

    That's correct, but the AAU doesn't connect to the base station until
    you click the "Configure" button. Until that time, it has only
    broadcast a request for any base station on the network to identify
    itself.

    I don't think it's been said yet, but I'm assuming the two base stations
    have different IP addresses

    How is the other base station connected to your local network?

    Mother's Day, May 9, 2004
    visit <http://www.mmm2004.org/>
    Tom Guest

  11. #11

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > > Sorry, I was being too loose in my terminology. The Airport Admin
    > > Utility does not see the (graphite) base stations until I hit the
    > > "other" button. Then, by inputting the 10.0.1.1 address with the
    > > password, it finds and displays the config. I would have expected the
    > > Utility to allow me to see and address the base stations by name -
    > > which it sounds as if yours does.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Sniffing the ethernet traffic, it appears that the first thing the Admin
    > Utility does is to broadcast a request for base stations on the network
    > to which it's connected. The base station responds with its
    > particulars. If, for some reason, your base station and the querying
    > computer are on different networks, or the Admin Utility doesn't know to
    > what network it's connected, the query would fail and you'd have to poll.[/ref]

    This is a very good point, and it would seem to be supported by the fact
    that explicit entry of 10.0.1.1 finds the base station.

    What is the IP address of your client (laptop or desktop system)? What
    is the IP address of your other base station? We already know that your
    Graphite Airport base station is 10.0.1.1.

    We should expect that the other base station is 10.0.1.* and your client
    (laptop or desktop) 10.0.1.*. If they are anything else, then that
    would explain a lot.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  12. #12

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    OK, but in previous versions of the AAU the names of the base stations
    appeared in the window immediately, now they don't. To get the
    configuration I previously (just) had to double click on the name or
    hit the configure button.

    > How is the other base station connected to your local network?[/ref]

    There are in fact two networks. One base station connects to an
    ethernet hub, another port of which goes to an ADSL modem: by
    connecting the PowerBook ethernet port to the hub I can also access the
    ADSL modem directly, another PowerBook connects in wirelessly to the
    base station. The other base station connects directly to a cable
    modem.

  13. #13

    In article <020520041434037606%arthurs.court.com>,
    Merlin <arthurs.court.com> wrote:

    > OK, but in previous versions of the AAU the names of the base stations
    > appeared in the window immediately, now they don't. To get the
    > configuration I previously (just) had to double click on the name or
    > hit the configure button.

    > > How is the other base station connected to your local network?[/ref]
    >
    > There are in fact two networks. One base station connects to an
    > ethernet hub, another port of which goes to an ADSL modem: by
    > connecting the PowerBook ethernet port to the hub I can also access the
    > ADSL modem directly, another PowerBook connects in wirelessly to the
    > base station. The other base station connects directly to a cable
    > modem.[/ref]

    This sounds like you have the WAN port of the base station connected to
    the ethernet hub. The Airport base station does not broadcast its
    presents to the Wide Area Network (WAN). Only to the local lAN <--> and