Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport info please - Mac Networking

Reposted from uk.comp.sys.mac: Hi. OK - I have an Airport Extreme base station which has never been out of its box, an Airport Express on order, a Linksys wireless router and a Linksys wireless ethernet bridge (all 802.11g). Phew. Now, the Airport Express states that as a range extender, it will only work with the Airport Extreme. It's possible I could be lucky and it will also work with the existing Linksys, but lets assume I'm -unlucky- and it doesn't work with anything other than an Extreme base station. I can't just switch to the Extreme in place of the ...

  1. #1

    Default Airport info please

    Reposted from uk.comp.sys.mac:

    Hi.

    OK - I have an Airport Extreme base station which has never been out of its
    box, an Airport Express on order, a Linksys wireless router and a Linksys
    wireless ethernet bridge (all 802.11g).

    Phew.

    Now, the Airport Express states that as a range extender, it will only work
    with the Airport Extreme. It's possible I could be lucky and it will also
    work with the existing Linksys, but lets assume I'm -unlucky- and it doesn't
    work with anything other than an Extreme base station. I can't just switch
    to the Extreme in place of the Linksys router, as the Linksys has four wired
    ports of which I regularly use two, and occasionally all four. The Extreme
    just has a single port - I -really- wish they'd change this, but there you
    go.

    So the question is: if I start using the Extreme as my main wireless bit,
    can I just plug in the Linksys and get four ports wired still? If so, what
    are the sorts of IP addresses I'd get out of it? Still the
    192.16.1.<whatever>? Any implications for NAT and SIP services (specifically
    iChat AV and SSH)? Would I end up with one subnet on the wired hub, and
    another on wireless side of things?

    What I'm aiming for is basically the setup I have now - four wired ports and
    a single wired access point, all routed out off the same subnet. I can
    disable the wireless side of the Linksys router so that shouldn't be a
    problem. The existing Linksys ethernet bridge is just a standard 802.11g
    device, so that should work fine. The new Airport Express will certainly
    work with the Extreme base station, so that's fine too. Just wondering what
    will happen to my wired devices really (one PC, one Mac SE/30, one
    TCP/IP-based colour laser).

    Cheers,
    Ian

    Ian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Airport info please

    In article <de>,
    "Ian McCall" <org> wrote:

    Chances are Apple just uses the WDS (Wireless Distribution System) which
    is supposedly a standard, however, standards to not mean everyone plays
    nice together. If your Linksys supports WDS, then there is a chance it
    will work with the Airport Express. If your Linksys doesn't know
    anything about WDS (not even under a different name), then there is no
    way to make it play nice.

    If you find that you need to use the Airport base station, here are some
    options.

    The Linksys ethernet ports are just a ethernet 10/100baseT switch
    graphed onto the router. You can still use the switched ports without
    using the router porting of the linksys. But you would need to
    configure the Linksys to no longer distribute DHCP addresses, and you
    would need to make sure you do not plug anything into the WAN port that
    you currently have going to the Cable or DSL connection. Then you would
    setup your Airport Extreme base station as the Cable/DSL router. Plug
    its WAN port into the Cable or DSL modem, plug the LAN port into your
    Linksys switched ethernet ports, and plug any other ethernet connected
    systems into the other Linksys ethernet switch ports.

    A different approach. Connect the Airport Extreme base station LAN port
    to one of the Linksys ethernet switched ports. Configure the Airport
    Extreme base station to just Bridge the ethernet to WiFi (disable
    distributing IP addresses). Then configure it to use WDS so that your
    Airport Express will receive signals.

    A 3rd approach. If you are getting the Airport Express as a WiFi signal
    extender, and again assuming Linksys does not do WDS, then if you can
    run an ethernet cable to where you need to WiFi extended to, you can
    just plug in the Airport Express (or any other WiFI access point), and
    configure it so that it uses the same SSID name and the same WEP (or
    WPA) passwords. This will create a roaming network. This is what I do
    at home using 2 Airport base stations (previously I did it using an
    Airport base station and an SMC Barricade WiFi base station, until
    lightning took the SMC out :-). Of course if you can setup a roaming
    network, then you can use almost anyone's WiFi access point.

    The one thing to watchout for is accidentially setting up 2 (two)
    routers that are both trying to route or where you make some systems go
    through 2 routers to get to the internet. This unnecessary, and often
    times leads to situations like not being able to see printers from all
    computers, iChat AV not working, etc...

    Anyway, I hope this helps.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    "Bob Harris" <dec.com> wrote in message

    I might be in luck then. The Linksys doesn't support WDS in its default
    state, but there's a firmware replacement which does. I might well give that
    a go. The firmware I'd need is here:
    http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php (I have a WRT54G).

    Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Seems the easiest way will be
    to set up WDS on the Linksys, but if that fails I'll try the other options
    you've mentioned. Be a while yet of course - no Airport Express anyway until
    mid-July. Just trying to plan it all in time though - that way I have a
    system I know works now, and any setup problems would be entirely due to the
    Airport Express.

    Thanks for the info,
    Ian

    Ian Guest

  4. #4

    Ian McCall <org> wrote:

    > I might be in luck then. The Linksys doesn't support WDS in its default
    > state, but there's a firmware replacement which does. I might well give that
    > a go. The firmware I'd need is here:
    > http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php (I have a WRT54G).[/ref]

    Linksys supports WDS but their implementation of it is not very useful
    in my opinion.. The setup page I have seen warns that the WRT54G may
    act as a WDS wireless bridge or a wireless access point but not both
    simultaneously. Perhaps some later firmware upgrade has changed this,
    I don't know.

    I'm using WDS with a Buffalo WLA-G54 and an Airport Extreme base station.
    They work well together. The Buffalo through WDS is extending the range
    of my Airport extreme and both devices are still providing wireless access
    to client computers.
    --
    John J. Rushford
    http://www.larush.com