Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport Network activity graph - Mac Networking

Hi All, I am looking for an application to display the amount of activity on my Airport network. My network: Two (2) Airport Extreme basestations, set-up to do WDS. Most devices are running 802.11b, so I guess the 802;11g doesn't really help with bandwidth. Why do I want to monitor activity? Well, I've got lots of stuff going on, on my network: Music: 3 Slimp3-Suqqezebox Players Usually my iBook maybe browsing the Internet Games: My son and frequently one or two friends playing online games like Star Wars Galexy. I have heard that there can be some probelms with my ...

  1. #1

    Default Airport Network activity graph

    Hi All,

    I am looking for an application to display the amount of activity on my
    Airport network.

    My network:

    Two (2) Airport Extreme basestations, set-up to do WDS. Most devices are
    running 802.11b, so I guess the 802;11g doesn't really help with
    bandwidth.

    Why do I want to monitor activity? Well, I've got lots of stuff going
    on, on my network:

    Music: 3 Slimp3-Suqqezebox Players
    Usually my iBook maybe browsing the Internet

    Games: My son and frequently one or two friends playing online games
    like Star Wars Galexy.

    I have heard that there can be some probelms with my music network
    depending on total network activity and I would like to see if I am
    approaching the limits of my newtwork with these activities.

    Thanks for any help

    AndyD
    Andy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Airport Network activity graph

    In article <1gczznn.1rg2kytlb2ev6N%net>, Andy
    Dannelley <net> wrote:

    AP Grapher <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19621>

    --
    Formosa's Law: "The truly insane have enough on their plates without us adding
    to it."

  3. #3

    Dave Balderstone <balderstone.ca> wrote:

    > AP Grapher <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19621>[/ref]

    Hey Dave, thanks for the reply, but I thougt AP Grapher was for signal
    strength, I want to see total network acvtivity.

    Thanks anyway,

    Andy
    Andy Guest

  4. #4

    On 2004-04-29 12:43:01 -0400, net (Andy Dannelley) said:

    KisMac can do this (look for it on versiontracker.com/macosx). KisMac
    is made to do other things, but it can graph bandwidth usage on a
    specific access point.

    --
    -justin

    Justin Guest

  5. #5

    Justin McKillican <removethis.alsothis.ca> wrote:

    > KisMac can do this (look for it on versiontracker.com/macosx). KisMac
    > is made to do other things, but it can graph bandwidth usage on a
    > specific access point.[/ref]

    Thanks,

    I got KisMac, installed,set-up started scans.

    It finds my two basestations when I look ar the traffic window, it shows
    some spikey things, one base half way up the other all the way up. So,
    I start a Squeezebox (which shouldincrease network traffic) and the
    spikey things are the sam as before. So I start another Squeezebox and
    the traffic looks the same.

    In the set-up, all I did was to select my Airport card in my iBook.

    What am I missing?

    Thanks,

    Andy
    Andy Guest

  6. #6

    On 2004-04-29 15:20:04 -0400, net (Andy Dannelley) said:

    > Thanks,
    >
    > I got KisMac, installed,set-up started scans.
    >
    > It finds my two basestations when I look ar the traffic window, it shows
    > some spikey things, one base half way up the other all the way up. So,
    > I start a Squeezebox (which shouldincrease network traffic) and the
    > spikey things are the sam as before. So I start another Squeezebox and
    > the traffic looks the same.
    >
    > In the set-up, all I did was to select my Airport card in my iBook.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andy[/ref]

    hmm, it looks like the traffic graphing only works if the airport card
    is in passive mode. while you're in this mode you won't be able to
    actually use your network connection, only monitor it which is probably
    not what you're looking for...

    and sadly, you can't use airport extreme cards in passive mode, only
    the normal airport cards and other third party cards. if you still
    want to monitor your airport in passive mode simply choose the proper
    driver.

    --
    -justin

    Justin Guest

  7. #7

    In article <1gd02xx.qqir5vfvmrzqN%net>, Andy Dannelley
    <net> wrote:

    I misunderstood.

    Have a look at IPNetMonitor.

  8. #8

    Andy Dannelley <net> wrote:

    I don't have an 'off the shelf' product but you are looking for an SNMP
    monitor pointed at your basestation to read the traffic counters.

    Bob Wilson
    Bob Guest