Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport (or network) losing connectivity - Mac Applications & Software

Lately, over the last few weeks, I've been experiencing loss of network connectivity via airport. It just simply stops working. If I turn airport off then back on, everything is fine (signal always shows stable, even full signal). I tried changing the "channel" on airport, but that didn't seem to do it. Not sure where to look to diagonse problem. I didn't see anything helpful on apple's support page, so thought I'd post here for any suggestions. If this is not the correct ng, my apologies (can you point me to the right place?). System info: PB G4, OS X ...

  1. #1

    Default Airport (or network) losing connectivity

    Lately, over the last few weeks, I've been experiencing loss of network
    connectivity via airport. It just simply stops working. If I turn
    airport off then back on, everything is fine (signal always shows
    stable, even full signal). I tried changing the "channel" on airport,
    but that didn't seem to do it. Not sure where to look to diagonse
    problem.

    I didn't see anything helpful on apple's support page, so thought I'd
    post here for any suggestions.

    If this is not the correct ng, my apologies (can you point me to the
    right place?).

    System info: PB G4, OS X (10.2.6) - update on latest patches via s/w
    update. Apple Airport Extreme Base station (latest fw installed )

    TIA,
    Mark-S.
    P.S. - I don't experience this at all, when using ethernet.
    Mark-S. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Airport (or network) losing connectivity

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:01:48 GMT, Mark-S. wrote:

    I have seen similar symptoms. It was happening a lot about two weeks
    ago, including one occasion when I had to restart the base station three
    times within an hour.

    I found one thing that seems to help is to run a ping process with a
    30-second delay. This may not be foolproof, but I noticed a big
    improvement once I started doing it. Disconnects dropped to 2 or 3 per
    week instead of 2 or 3 per day.

    I also noticed that things have improved since I ran the Airport Admin
    Utility last week and it offered to update the software for me. Since
    then I have had only one disconnect.

    I still have a ping process running, but I'm about to run a software
    update that will require a reboot. I'll see what happens after that.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

  3. #3

    In article <bjm4o4$mqv$cc.purdue.edu>,
    Dave Seaman <such.host> wrote:

    > I have seen similar symptoms. It was happening a lot about two weeks
    > ago, including one occasion when I had to restart the base station three
    > times within an hour.
    >
    > I found one thing that seems to help is to run a ping process with a
    > 30-second delay. This may not be foolproof, but I noticed a big
    > improvement once I started doing it. Disconnects dropped to 2 or 3 per
    > week instead of 2 or 3 per day.
    >
    > I also noticed that things have improved since I ran the Airport Admin
    > Utility last week and it offered to update the software for me. Since
    > then I have had only one disconnect.
    >
    > I still have a ping process running, but I'm about to run a software
    > update that will require a reboot. I'll see what happens after that.[/ref]

    I have posted a similar question as the OP in comp.sys.mac.comm. Exactly
    the same thing is happening to me. So far no one has suggested anything
    to help other than installing a remote radio switch to power cycle the
    base station. Either the firmware updates have a problem or there is
    some hardware problem associated with the WAN port. Things didn't get
    any better when I upgraded the firmware from 5.0.4 to 5.1.1, but the
    problem changed a bit. Previously the admin utility could scan and see
    the base station. Now with the latest firmware it cannot. Curiously, I
    if hit the "Other" button, my base station is found. Sometimes I can
    read the configuration file, sometimes not. If I can, I can restart the
    unit, if not I must power cycle.

    What exactly are you doing for a ping process? Who are you pinging?

    Regards,

    Don

    --
    Donald S. Hall, Ph.D.
    Apps & More Software Design, Inc.

  4. #4

    In article <bjm4o4$mqv$cc.purdue.edu>,
    Dave Seaman <such.host> wrote:

    yep, seen that.

    thought about doing this as well, as I've noticed that is generally
    happens when I'm not generating any traffic or returning the system from
    a sleep state.

    really?! I was experiencing just the opposite, it seems to have started
    recently, not long after did the last update.

    yeah, I'd like to know if that resolved the issue.

    mark-s
    Mark-S. Guest

  5. #5

    ac.comm. Exactly

    quick and dirty would be from the terminal:

    ping -i 30 apple.com

    mark-s.
    Mark-S. Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 04:18:16 GMT, Donald Hall wrote:

    I had an xterm running "ping -i 30 <hostname>", where <hostname> is the
    Sun workstation in my office. My Airport base station is at home.

    By the way, I rebooted a few minutes ago, and I am now running without
    the ping process. I still have my fingers crossed.

  7. #7

    "Mark-S." <rr.com> writes:

    Automate it: Put

    reboot ping -i 30 apple.com >/dev/null 2>&1

    in your crontab.

    --
    dhs com
    David Guest

  8. #8

    "Mark-S." wrote:

    > yep, seen that.[/ref]

    > thought about doing this as well, as I've noticed that is generally
    > happens when I'm not generating any traffic or returning the system from
    > a sleep state.

    > really?! I was experiencing just the opposite, it seems to have started
    > recently, not long after did the last update.

    > yeah, I'd like to know if that resolved the issue.
    > mark-s[/ref]

    I've had the same problem, but it's inconsistency has made me wonder if
    it's something coming from the cable modem. Is that possible? (I'm
    pretty clueless about all this.)

    At first, if I went in to Airport Admin. and changed *anything* and
    updated, it would get better. I did change the channel once. But I
    think the improvement may have been a coincidence.

    I was having a lot of trouble a week or two ago (coinciding with all the
    virus stuff that PC users were plagued with -- which made me wonder if
    there were problems at the cable company), and then I did the Airport
    Admin."change-one-thing" bit and things got better. Then I had one more
    problem a few days later, but since then all has been perfect. (fingers crossed).

    Also, I've started shutting down both the computer and airport
    (unplugging) for the night (leaving the cable modem on), and turning it
    all back on in the AM. Have no idea if that's made a difference.

    I've always shut down my desktop at night, but I used to leave the cable
    modem and airport on. Then watching the amount of activity between the
    cable modem and airport (lights flashing) when the computer was shut
    down was making me wonder what was going on, so I've started unplugging
    airport at night as well.

    All I know is that for the moment, the problem seems to have
    mysteriously disappeared.

    - TNW

    [To e-mail me, remove 12345 from my address.]
    TNW7Z12345@aol.com Guest

  9. #9

    In article <bjn9ka$nf1$panix.com>,
    David Spencer <com> wrote:

    > Automate it: Put
    >
    > reboot ping -i 30 apple.com >/dev/null 2>&1
    >
    > in your crontab.[/ref]

    cool, I wasn't familiar with the reboot option for cron.

    mark-s
    Mark-S. Guest

  10. #10

    In article <com>, com wrote:

    > > yep, seen that.[/ref]

    > > thought about doing this as well, as I've noticed that is generally
    > > happens when I'm not generating any traffic or returning the system from
    > > a sleep state.
    > >

    > > really?! I was experiencing just the opposite, it seems to have started
    > > recently, not long after did the last update.
    > >

    > > yeah, I'd like to know if that resolved the issue.
    > > mark-s[/ref]
    >
    > I've had the same problem, but it's inconsistency has made me wonder if
    > it's something coming from the cable modem. Is that possible? (I'm
    > pretty clueless about all this.)[/ref]

    Yes, that was my first suspicion, but if resetting airport (s/w or base)
    fixes the problem, then it's not the cable modem by process of
    elimination.

    tried this, found it was just as effective (and faster) to use the turn
    off airport/turn on airport from the menu bar. Since this works, I don't
    think the problem lies in the cable modem - but rather with the airport
    software or the base.

    that traffic is most likely just route info or dhcp server/client
    updates. I've noticed it for years (with and without airport, and other
    platforms) - it's normal.

    these are the kind of problems I don't like, because I can't resolve the
    issue.

    Mark-S. Guest

  11. #11

    "Mark-S." <rr.com> writes:

    >> Automate it: Put
    >>
    >> reboot ping -i 30 apple.com >/dev/null 2>&1
    >>
    >> in your crontab.[/ref][/ref]

    It's a relatively recent BSD extension.

    I like it.

    --
    dhs com
    David Guest

  12. #12

    Dave Seaman <such.host> wrote:

    I wasn't having actual disconnects, but for me the wireless
    network would just get r e a l l y slow, to the point of
    unusability. But after the base station upgrade you mention,
    all is wonderful again.

    Greg Shenaut
    gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu Guest

  13. #13

    "Mark-S." wrote:

    > Yes, that was my first suspicion, but if resetting airport (s/w or base)
    > fixes the problem, then it's not the cable modem by process of
    > elimination.[/ref]

    So you don't think the cable modem could be sending some signal that
    throws off the base station which then requires a little jolt
    (unplugging the base station for a second or shutting off the signal,
    etc.) to set things right?

    You're right, doesn't make much sense...and I suppose it shouldn't
    happen anyway.

    > that traffic is most likely just route info or dhcp server/client
    > updates. I've noticed it for years (with and without airport, and other
    > platforms) - it's normal.[/ref]

    That's what I thought, but it was so persistent, I got paranoid and
    wondered if someone was somehow using my base station to access the
    internet. I've set up a closed network with 128 WEP? encryption, but to
    me this is all amazingly un-user friendly, so I'm not sure if I've done
    things properly. And I'm a little confused that the modem and base
    station seem to talk to each other *more* once I've shut down my desktop
    (which is connected by ethernet. I use wireless for my iBook.)

    Thanks for your info. I'll be less paranoid and go back to leaving it
    all on.

  14. #14

    In article <com>, com wrote:

    > > Yes, that was my first suspicion, but if resetting airport (s/w or base)
    > > fixes the problem, then it's not the cable modem by process of
    > > elimination.[/ref]
    >
    > So you don't think the cable modem could be sending some signal that
    > throws off the base station which then requires a little jolt
    > (unplugging the base station for a second or shutting off the signal,
    > etc.) to set things right?
    >
    > You're right, doesn't make much sense...and I suppose it shouldn't
    > happen anyway.
    >

    > > that traffic is most likely just route info or dhcp server/client
    > > updates. I've noticed it for years (with and without airport, and other
    > > platforms) - it's normal.[/ref]
    >
    > That's what I thought, but it was so persistent, I got paranoid and
    > wondered if someone was somehow using my base station to access the
    > internet. I've set up a closed network with 128 WEP? encryption, but to
    > me this is all amazingly un-user friendly, so I'm not sure if I've done
    > things properly. And I'm a little confused that the modem and base
    > station seem to talk to each other *more* once I've shut down my desktop
    > (which is connected by ethernet. I use wireless for my iBook.)
    >
    > Thanks for your info. I'll be less paranoid and go back to leaving it
    > all on.
    >
    > - TNW
    >
    > [To e-mail me, remove 12345 from my address.][/ref]

    I posted to this thread several days ago with the AEBS loss of
    connectivity problem. Several smart people suggested pinging a known
    site at a 30 second interval might work. So far, this has worked for me.
    Here is what I did:

    1. Opened a terminal window

    2. Entered the command: ping -i 30 -q apple.com

    This causes a little packet of data to be sent to apple.com (and
    returned) every 30 seconds. The 'q' switch supresses all the
    intermediate output to the terminal window.

    3. To stop ping, hit Control-C. You then get a summary of packets
    transmitted, average time, % packet loss, etc.

    Earlier in this thread it was explained how to arrange for the pinging
    to start automatically at boot time.

    As an alternative to 'q', you can send output to /dev/null, also
    explained earlier in the thread.

    Hope this helps other sufferers of this problem. Maybe if enough of us
    start pinging apple.com they will correct the problem!

    Don

  15. #15

    In article <telus.net>,
    Donald Hall <0.0.1> wrote:

    > > So you don't think the cable modem could be sending some signal that
    > > throws off the base station which then requires a little jolt
    > > (unplugging the base station for a second or shutting off the signal,
    > > etc.) to set things right?
    > >
    > > You're right, doesn't make much sense...and I suppose it shouldn't
    > > happen anyway.
    > >

    > > That's what I thought, but it was so persistent, I got paranoid and
    > > wondered if someone was somehow using my base station to access the
    > > internet. I've set up a closed network with 128 WEP? encryption, but to
    > > me this is all amazingly un-user friendly, so I'm not sure if I've done
    > > things properly. And I'm a little confused that the modem and base
    > > station seem to talk to each other *more* once I've shut down my desktop
    > > (which is connected by ethernet. I use wireless for my iBook.)
    > >
    > > Thanks for your info. I'll be less paranoid and go back to leaving it
    > > all on.
    > >
    > > - TNW
    > >
    > > [To e-mail me, remove 12345 from my address.][/ref]
    >
    > I posted to this thread several days ago with the AEBS loss of
    > connectivity problem. Several smart people suggested pinging a known
    > site at a 30 second interval might work. So far, this has worked for me.
    > Here is what I did:
    >
    > 1. Opened a terminal window
    >
    > 2. Entered the command: ping -i 30 -q apple.com
    >
    > This causes a little packet of data to be sent to apple.com (and
    > returned) every 30 seconds. The 'q' switch supresses all the
    > intermediate output to the terminal window.
    >
    > 3. To stop ping, hit Control-C. You then get a summary of packets
    > transmitted, average time, % packet loss, etc.
    >
    > Earlier in this thread it was explained how to arrange for the pinging
    > to start automatically at boot time.
    >
    > As an alternative to 'q', you can send output to /dev/null, also
    > explained earlier in the thread.
    >
    > Hope this helps other sufferers of this problem. Maybe if enough of us
    > start pinging apple.com they will correct the problem!
    >
    > Don[/ref]

    Oops! Posted too soon. Five minutes after posting I lost connection
    again. I had to power cycle the AEBS to get my Ethernet connected G4 to
    even see it. Then I had to restart it by opening the config file and
    clicking on the Restart button to get an IP address. It had stayed
    connected for more than 24 hours prior to my posting instead of a few
    hours without the pinging.

    Don

  16. #16

    In article <com>, com wrote:

    nope, doesn't kill an ethernet connection.

    'll be less paranoid and go back to leaving it

    a little paranoia is good for you :)

    I'm still trying to trouble shoot. spent past couple days going through
    log files. The only messages I'm finding are from the
    DirectoryService.server.log :

    2003-09-12 17:17:03 EDT - Network transition occurred.

    no hits on apple.com/support - and Ithink it just informational - change
    of network status.

    fyi, I'm using a netgear router right now, as a test, and it's happened
    twice in the past couple of hours. Though behavior is different, in that
    the network returns after a minute or so with no intervention.

    Soo, I'm thinking the problem (in my case) may well be related to the
    airport card driver, or some type of interference. However, I'll try the
    ping workaround that's ben mentioned and see if that produces any
    changes.

    mark-s.

    Mark-S. Guest