Professional Web Applications Themes

AirPort - OS X, no base station - Mac Networking

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about adding to my home network. Currently, it is a D-Link DI-704P router that is wired to a bunch of different machines all around my house. I have a PowerBook G3 (Lombard/Bronze Keyboard) that I'd like to make wireless. It doesn't have an AirPort card, but I can buy a third-party 802.11b card and use a third-party driver (I read that the AirPort 3.1 software supports many third-party 802.11g cards, is that true for 11b cards too?). I've found compatible cards in the $25 range on eBay. The DI-704P router is not a WAP, but I ...

  1. #1

    Default AirPort - OS X, no base station

    Hi everyone,

    I'm thinking about adding to my home network. Currently, it is a D-Link
    DI-704P router that is wired to a bunch of different machines all around
    my house.

    I have a PowerBook G3 (Lombard/Bronze Keyboard) that I'd like to make
    wireless. It doesn't have an AirPort card, but I can buy a third-party
    802.11b card and use a third-party driver (I read that the AirPort 3.1
    software supports many third-party 802.11g cards, is that true for 11b
    cards too?). I've found compatible cards in the $25 range on eBay.

    The DI-704P router is not a WAP, but I have an iMac that is AirPort
    ready hooked up to the router through ethernet. My router is
    192.168.0.1, and it assigns 192.168.0.* addresses to all the computers
    hooked up to it.

    10.2 includes Internet Sharing. If I turn this on, can I get my iMac to
    act as a base station? Will it go into the mode that acts like a base
    station (can't remember the name for this one) rather than
    computer-to-computer (ad-hoc)? The third party driver I'm looking at
    doesn't support ad-hoc mode.

    If this all works, the AirPort network would probably have 10.0.0.x
    addresses, with the iMac being 10.0.0.1. Will the PowerBook be able to
    access the internet okay, even through two NATs? It'd be going through
    my iMac's internet sharing first, and then through my DI-704P router.

    Thanks for any ideas! I'm totally new to this AirPort thing and I'm
    trying to avoid having to replace my router with one that is wired,
    because I'm really happy with the router I currently have.

    By the way, totally off topic, but I was packet sniffing today, and I
    noticed that iChat AV supports UPnP! That means it can tell a compatible
    device like a router (the DI-704P with firmware 2.70 or later supports
    UPnP) to automatically do inbound port mapping. I think that's what
    Apple is referring to when they say that iChat can automatically
    configure itself to work through NAT. Sorry for this totally off-topic
    paragraph in my post, but thinking about NAT reminded me of this. :)

    Doug

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR
    Idiot's Guide to Mac Cases - [url]http://www.ircandy.com/maccases/[/url]

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: AirPort - OS X, no base station

    Removed by Administrator
    Matthew Smith Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    In article <harris-6C88C2.21270129062003juggl7.zk3.dec.com>,
    Bob Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> wrote:
    > In theory, you should be able to change the default IP address and
    > subnet mask for either the D-Link or for the Apple Airport "Software"
    > base station so that they are both the same subnet. I've got a D-Link
    > DI-704 and I've changed its IP address to be 10.0.1.201.
    >
    > The one thing you should check in the Internet Sharing on the Mac OS X
    > system is that it sees your D-Link as the router and that it lists the
    > same DNS (Dynamic Name Server) IP addresses the D-Link says it is using
    > from your ISP.
    >
    > So if the D-Link, your Internet Sharing, all your household systems are
    > on the same subnet, and are all using the same router (which should be
    > the D-Link) and they are all using the same DNS IP addresses, then
    > everything should work (famous last words :-)
    Thanks for the reply Bob!

    Interesting! I thought NAT had to work between two subnets though.
    Because Apple's internet sharing is NAT. I don't know a lot about NAT
    though. I wish there were a way that the iMac could just act as a bridge
    rather than NAT. Another thing is, I'd really prefer that the iMac acts
    as a base station in "infrastructure" mode rather than ad-hoc. I think
    the only way to turn on infrastructure mode is to do sharing via the
    System Prefs.

    Doug

  4. #4

    Doug Brown <macg3pleasenospam.mac.com.invalid> wrote:
    > 10.2 includes Internet Sharing. If I turn this on, can I get my iMac to
    > act as a base station? Will it go into the mode that acts like a base
    > station (can't remember the name for this one) rather than
    > computer-to-computer (ad-hoc)? The third party driver I'm looking at
    > doesn't support ad-hoc mode.
    A Software Base Station (SBS) will appear essentially the same as a
    hardware base station to the client Macs, although there are a few
    differences.

    > If this all works, the AirPort network would probably have 10.0.0.x
    > addresses, with the iMac being 10.0.0.1.
    An SBS will assign addresses on the wireless side in the 10.0.2.x range,
    with the base station as the router at 10.0.2.1. (If you share via
    Ethernet, the SBS Ethernet subnet will be 192.168.2.x.) The settings in
    the host Mac's AirPort Network preferences won't really matter -- the
    SBS acts as a kind of separate virtual router that shares the AirPort
    physical network with the Mac it's running on -- but the clients must be
    set to DHCP to share the Internet connection. Manual IP addresses work
    for clients of an Apple hardware base station, but don't seem to work
    with an SBS.

    > Will the PowerBook be able to access the internet okay, even through two
    > NATs? It'd be going through my iMac's internet sharing first, and then
    > through my DI-704P router.
    NAT nesting (SBS as client of another router) works, but setting it up
    may take patience. If you've checked all the settings and it still isn't
    working, try restarting both the host and client Macs.

    > Thanks for any ideas! I'm totally new to this AirPort thing and I'm trying
    > to avoid having to replace my router with one that is wired, because I'm
    > really happy with the router I currently have.
    As your iMac already has an AirPort card, you aren't really risking
    anything; but don't be surprised if you end up joining the club of those
    who buy a hardware base station after a week or two struggling with an
    SBS. I did. A hardware base station is the real thing.
    Neill Massello Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1fxc1gq.1sfxbmt9b35moN%nmasselloearthlink.net> ,
    [email]nmasselloearthlink.net[/email] (Neill Massello) wrote:
    > As your iMac already has an AirPort card, you aren't really risking
    > anything; but don't be surprised if you end up joining the club of those
    > who buy a hardware base station after a week or two struggling with an
    > SBS. I did. A hardware base station is the real thing.
    Thanks for the informative reply Neill!

    I'm just having second thoughts because I bought the iMac's AirPort card
    because of this decision :)

    Luckily it's not going to cost too much, I think. I sent an e-mail to
    Realtek's technical support, and they sent me a beta Mac OS X driver
    that will work with any Cardbus card (for my PowerBook) that uses the
    RTL8180 802.11b chipset! Realtek chipset cards go for about $20 on eBay.

    I think I should have just bought a WAP that's not a router and hooked
    it into my current router. Then I wouldn't have to mess around with two
    levels of NAT. Oh well, I guess I can say the resale value of my iMac
    went up (by not very much, hehe)

    Doug