Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport Password Problem - Mac Networking

I set up an Airport Extreme base station with a modem for a dial-up connection. And I was able to get my G4 set up and connected with no problem. But I cannot seem to get the Airport setup assistant on our iBook (Graphite SE) to accept the password. It just keeps telling me it is the wrong password. I even tried changing the password on the chance that I entered it wrong twice. But no dice. The G4 is on 10.3.3 and the iBook is on 9.2.1 since it cannot hold enough memory to run OSX. The Help Viewer ...

  1. #1

    Default Airport Password Problem

    I set up an Airport Extreme base station with a modem for a dial-up
    connection. And I was able to get my G4 set up and connected with no
    problem. But I cannot seem to get the Airport setup assistant on our
    iBook (Graphite SE) to accept the password. It just keeps telling me it
    is the wrong password. I even tried changing the password on the chance
    that I entered it wrong twice. But no dice. The G4 is on 10.3.3 and
    the iBook is on 9.2.1 since it cannot hold enough memory to run OSX.
    The Help Viewer (which I was only able to use again thanks to Cathy's
    advice to trash the plist file--- thank you Cathy!) sheds no light on
    this topic. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Madwen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Airport Password Problem

    Madwen <com> wrote:

    You can only set up or administer the Airport Extreme base stations from
    Macs running OS X. I don't know why you think the iBook cannot hold
    enough memory, though, since even the very first iBook can (expandable
    to 576 MB according to lowendmac.com).

    --
    Mike Rosenberg
    Ralph Nader: Unsafe at any speed

  3. #3

    In article <1ge4my4.1uxkunuas4u8wN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > You can only set up or administer the Airport Extreme base stations from
    > Macs running OS X.[/ref]

    Like I said, I set it up on the G4--- not the iBook. I am only having
    the iBook "join" the existing network--- not administer it. So why
    isn't the Base Station recognizing the password and connect? It is
    supposed to be able to according to what I have read.

    The iBook has 192 RAM and we really don't want to invest more money in
    it since we plan to get a powerbook in the near future. Furthermore,
    like so many others, I had to take my Quicksilver up to 1.2 GB or RAM to
    run Panther without problems. The iBook runs only at 366 MHz and is not
    too speedy even in 9.2.1. I can't imagine trying to run Panther on it.
    Moreover, when the question has been asked in CSM, the answers i've seen
    have all been negative--- or I'd have put Panther on it a long time ago.
    Madwen Guest

  4. #4

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    A couple of thoughts.

    Which password are you talking about?

    o Dial-up password for your ISP that you set for the modem
    connection?

    o The WEP wireless password for connecting the iBook?

    o The Administrators password to configurning the base station?

    The iBook shouldn't need the ISP dialup password, and if you already
    have the base station configured from the G4, then that leaves the WEP
    wireless connection password. I'm guessing here.

    If it is the WEP password, then by any chance did you set it for 128
    bits? I am not sure that Mac OS 9.* would support 128 bit WEP
    passwords. I do not have a Mac OS 9.* system any longer, and I have not
    used one for about 3 or 4 years now, so my memory is really weak on this
    point.

    So if it the WEP password that is at issue, why not try setting a 64 bit
    WEP password.

    If have guessed wrong, then just ignore me :-)

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    In article <cac.cpqcorp.net>,
    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    > A couple of thoughts.
    >
    > Which password are you talking about?
    >
    > o Dial-up password for your ISP that you set for the modem
    > connection?
    >
    > o The WEP wireless password for connecting the iBook?
    >
    > o The Administrators password to configurning the base station?[/ref]

    The wireless/Admin password (I made them the same since this is a home
    network).

    You were not wrong and thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
    In the meantime, I phoned Apple support. First I had set it up for 128
    bit because I thought I had read that OS 9 would not work with WPA. No
    dice. Then I switched over to WPA thinking maybe my recollection was in
    error. No dice again--- I had not been wrong. Then the Apple guy said
    40 bit would be my best bet for the iBook on OS 9. So you are exactly
    right. It works now. He said the Airport in the iBook is rather
    primitive and he also said that while Panther would run on the Graphite
    366 mhz, it would be much slower than 9 and to just leave it on OS 9.

    One thing I am unclear about is why it takes so long for my G4 to
    disconnect from Airport. It takes something like 45-60 seconds!

    Madeleine
    Madwen Guest

  6. #6

    Madwen <com> wrote:

    Hey, I was just responding to your statement that the iBook will not
    hold enough memory. Whether someone wants to run OS X on a 366 MHz
    iBook is another, highly subjective, issue.

  7. #7

    In article <1ge53w0.41lz6iacfclcN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > Hey, I was just responding to your statement that the iBook will not
    > hold enough memory. Whether someone wants to run OS X on a 366 MHz
    > iBook is another, highly subjective, issue.[/ref]

    And I appreciate that you responded--- though it had nothing to do with
    the question I asked.
    Madwen Guest

  8. #8

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    > > A couple of thoughts.
    > >
    > > Which password are you talking about?
    > >
    > > o Dial-up password for your ISP that you set for the modem
    > > connection?
    > >
    > > o The WEP wireless password for connecting the iBook?
    > >
    > > o The Administrators password to configurning the base station?[/ref]
    >
    > The wireless/Admin password (I made them the same since this is a home
    > network).[/ref]

    You may have solved this in the time since the last post. However, I'll
    guess anyway.

    The admin password for the base station only relates to doing things
    that change settings on the base station. It is not the password needed
    to join the network (unless you make them the same, which is a bad idea.)

    The WEP or "Wireless Security" password is the one needed for 802.11
    clients to join a network. That is the password your iBook will need.

    Further, the Airport Extreme is capable of 128-bit encryption. The
    older airports and airport cards are only capable of 40-bit encryption.
    If your iBook has a 40-bit card, it will not be able to join a 128-bit
    encrypted base station. You'll need to change the base station's
    encryption settings to 40-bit so that the 40-bit card can join. That
    should be in the "Name and Password" settings. Click the "Change
    Wireless Security" button.

    --
    Walt Sellers
    Computer Engineer For Hire

  9. #9

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Walt Sellers <com> wrote:

    > > The wireless/Admin password (I made them the same since this is a home
    > > network).[/ref]
    >
    > You may have solved this in the time since the last post. However, I'll
    > guess anyway.
    >
    > The admin password for the base station only relates to doing things
    > that change settings on the base station. It is not the password needed
    > to join the network (unless you make them the same, which is a bad idea.)[/ref]

    They are the same. It's not a bad idea for us on a home network.

    Yes, I solved the encryption problem, thank you. Because of the iBook,
    we can use only 40 bit encryption as you say. However, I want to look
    at the configuration settings (from OS X on the G4), particularly the
    one that says the base station should auto-connect, but it will not
    recognize my password (I am the admin). I did not make an error on the
    password. I recorded it immediately and it had to be entered twice and
    I have used it before!. I am flummoxed.

    Madeleine
    Madwen Guest

  10. #10

    << However, I want to look
    at the configuration settings (from OS X on the G4), particularly the
    one that says the base station should auto-connect, but it will not
    recognize my password (I am the admin). I did not make an error on the
    password. I recorded it immediately and it had to be entered twice and
    I have used it before! >>

    Madeleine-

    I suppose you know about the reset button. By pressing it with an un-bent
    paperclip for several seconds, all settings should be reset to the factory
    defaults. I've had to do that a few times.

    I've never assigned a password to mine. When using the default password of
    public, you shouldn't be prompted to enter it when connected directly via
    ethernet to the Airport. At least that is what the manual says. In fact, it
    does sometimes ask for a password and won't accept public. Perhaps this is the
    same situation you are facing.

    What I found was that in order for my Airport to NOT ask for the password, it
    was necessary for both the Airport and my computer to be set for the same
    domain. In one case, I was trying to make it work with a 192.168.1.X IP
    address but it was still set for an 10.0.1.X address. In another case, I had
    my computer's IP address set for the 10.0.1.X, and it had been changed to the
    192 address. Once I set them both tho the same scheme, everything worked out.

    Fred

    Fred Guest

  11. #11

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Fred McKenzie) wrote:

    Thanks so much for responding. I did not realize there was a reset
    button in all honesty. ::promts her self to "RTFM" again:: But I did
    not need to do that. It took a hexidecimal equivalent, which I
    discovered I had written down in the back of the manual, and then I
    redid the password to something else and now at least I can configure it.

    So, I unchecked the "login automatically" box but, unfortunately, after
    that, I was no longer able to connect at all! The "connect" command
    disappeard from both the menu bar and the Internet Connect.

    Madeleine

    ..
    Madwen Guest

  12. #12

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    I'm confused. What "login automatically" button are you referring to?

  13. #13

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Walt Sellers <com> wrote:

    > I'm confused. What "login automatically" button are you referring to?[/ref]

    Not a button, a check-box as I said. It's in the Airport Admin utility.
    My base station (AEx) has a modem.
    Madwen Guest