Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport question - Mac Networking

In article <d4GQa.20784$Ry3.2430140monger.newsread.com>, M-M <nospamny.more> wrote: > If I use the Airport Base Station as a modem and dial in to my ISP from > my iBook to establish an internet connection, and then close the iBook- > Will the internet connection be maintained when I reopen the iBook, or > do I have to redial in again? > How did you configure the base station? The iBook's Airport card just talks to the base station which has the job of dialing and/or maintaining the connection. -- Tom Stiller PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Airport question

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Stiller Guest

  2. #2

    M-M <nospamny.more> wrote:
    > If I use the Airport Base Station as a modem and dial in to my ISP from
    > my iBook to establish an internet connection, and then close the iBook-
    > Will the internet connection be maintained when I reopen the iBook, or
    > do I have to redial in again?
    The connection will be maintained until your base station's (or your
    ISP's) idle timeout expires. If the connection is broken while the iBook
    is sleeping, you will have to redial.
    Neill Massello Guest

  3. #3

    Daniel E. Sabath <dsabathmac.com> wrote:
    > In a couple of weeks I will be visiting my parents, who have DSL and a
    > "Snow" iMac, currently running MacOS 9. I would like to use my
    > Airport-equipped Powerbook to share their DSL connection while there, so
    > I was thinking of pulling the Airport card from my iMac at home to put
    > into theirs while I'm visiting.
    >
    > If I install the card and run the iMac as an Airport base station, will
    > it basically function as a router, or is more configuration/software
    > needed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dan

    Yes, I've done this myself and it works. On your parents iMac you go to
    System Preferences then Network. Under Airport check "Allow this computer to
    create Networks". Then go to Sharing under System Preferences and locate
    the Internet tab and Start Internet sharing. Your ibook should then be
    able to locate the computer to computer Network created by the iMac.
    I believe thats it.

    regards
    --
    John J. Rushford
    j j r { a t } a l i s a { d o t } o r g

  4. #4

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:31:42 GMT,
    [email]read-the-signaturesend-spam-to-dev-null.com[/email] (read-the-signaturesend-spam-to-dev-null.com) wrote:
    > Daniel E. Sabath <dsabathmac.com> wrote:
    >> In a couple of weeks I will be visiting my parents, who have DSL and a
    >> "Snow" iMac, currently running MacOS 9. I would like to use my
    >> Airport-equipped Powerbook to share their DSL connection while there, so
    >> I was thinking of pulling the Airport card from my iMac at home to put
    >> into theirs while I'm visiting.
    >>
    > Yes, I've done this myself and it works. On your parents iMac you go to
    > System Preferences then Network. Under Airport check "Allow this computer to
    > create Networks". Then go to Sharing under System Preferences and locate
    > the Internet tab and Start Internet sharing. Your ibook should then be
    > able to locate the computer to computer Network created by the iMac.
    > I believe thats it.
    Your instructions are perfect for OS X. What would you do to share the
    DSL connection under OS 9, which is the system being run on his parents
    iMac? The only thing I can think of is something like IPNetRouter from
    Sustainable Softworks.

    Regards,
    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  5. #5

    In article <slrnbj581c.6bu.bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.e du>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:31:42 GMT,
    > [email]read-the-signaturesend-spam-to-dev-null.com[/email]
    > (read-the-signaturesend-spam-to-dev-null.com) wrote:
    > > Daniel E. Sabath <dsabathmac.com> wrote:
    > >> In a couple of weeks I will be visiting my parents, who have DSL and a
    > >> "Snow" iMac, currently running MacOS 9. I would like to use my
    > >> Airport-equipped Powerbook to share their DSL connection while there, so
    > >> I was thinking of pulling the Airport card from my iMac at home to put
    > >> into theirs while I'm visiting.
    > >>
    > > Yes, I've done this myself and it works. On your parents iMac you go to
    > > System Preferences then Network. Under Airport check "Allow this computer
    > > create Networks". Then go to Sharing under System Preferences and locate
    > > the Internet tab and Start Internet sharing. Your ibook should then be
    > > able to locate the computer to computer Network created by the iMac.
    > > I believe thats it.
    >
    > Your instructions are perfect for OS X. What would you do to share the
    > DSL connection under OS 9, which is the system being run on his parents
    > iMac? The only thing I can think of is something like IPNetRouter from
    > Sustainable Softworks.
    No need; Mac OS 9 included a "software base station" capability that
    will do the trick. I think this was available from the Mac OS 9 version
    of the Airport admin utility. If not, then it's in the Airport setup
    assistant. Either way it's included with 9.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  6. #6

    In article <slrnbj58vu.6dd.bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.e du>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:03:24 -0600,
    > Tom Harrington (tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net) wrote:
    > > No need; Mac OS 9 included a "software base station" capability that
    > > will do the trick. I think this was available from the Mac OS 9 version
    > > of the Airport admin utility. If not, then it's in the Airport setup
    > > assistant. Either way it's included with 9.
    >
    > Ah! Good to know that. I didn't know that the software basestation
    > under OS 9 would function like a router (NATed or otherwise).
    I was hoping this was the case. Thanks to all who responded.

    Dan

    --
    Daniel E. Sabath, M.D., Ph.D.
    UW Department of Laboratory Medicine