is the LAN port and is for your local household network. Plug your 466 mhz G4 into this port. Or if you have a 10/100BaseT ethernet switch or hub you can plug that into the <--> LAN port and then plug your 466 mhz G4 and any other computers you like into the switch or hub. [ref] > No matter what I do -- and I tried a lot of stuff, I get the same error > message. This is approximate... > > "The airport setup software cannot detect airport hardware installed on > your computer. If you have recently installed an airport card, make sure > it is...." etc., etc.[/ref] It is my guess that because your 466 mhz G4 is plugged into the wrong port on the Snow Airport base station, it doesn't see the base station and thus the software is looking for an Airport drivers so that it can find an Airport card and look for a base station via 802.11b wireless. But because you don't have an Airport card on your 466 mhz G4, thus the above error. [ref] > I tried messing with the network control panels. (I don't network much, > but I have a passing acquaintance with the procedures.) Nothing helped.[/ref] Again, reverse the way you have your cables connected to the base station. [ref] > I'm stalled at the starting line. If I can get to the point where the > airport setup assistant can start working, I can probably take it from > there. Ihave the PDF instructions, but they don't address what is > happening here.[/ref] Changing the cables should get you working, but as a fall back position, you could also install the Airport Admin Utility on your Pismo and try to setup the Snow Airport base station via the Pismo. But I would only try that as a last resort. Note: I don't know if this was your intention, but you should be able to get the Snow Airport base station to perform the PPPoE task. I've done this with an original Graphite Airport base station, and an Airport Extreme base station. In my case it was Verizon DSL. Good luck. Bob Harris [ref] > Please throw me a clue. > > Thanks in advance, > > Tim Miller[/ref] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <402678AD.4000107@nospam.com> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Bob [ip] => harris@zk3.dec. [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 6 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> airport setup questions - Mac Networking

airport setup questions - Mac Networking

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 09:58:05 -0800, Timothy Miller <com> wrote: ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: airport setup questions

    Lawrence Guest

  2. #2

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:47:05 GMT, Lawrence Haber <net> wrote: [/ref]
    ..
    > [/ref]
    What I had meant to say, is that this occurred when I first tried to install
    an airport, and what the issue was for me was that the airport card was no
    good and in fact neither was the base station. The error message would seem
    to indicate that the computer is not "seeing" the airport card, either
    because it is not inserted correctly or fully or because it was defective.
    In my case, it was defective.

    First, try to make sure the card is fully inserted.

    If you know some one who might swap and card in and out, that might be
    helpful.

    Hope this helps.
    Lawrence Guest

  3. #3

    Default airport setup questions

    [cross posted to c.s.m.systema and c.s.m.comm]

    Hi,

    Sorry.... I did read the instructions. Maybe I overlooked something.

    We're on a 466 mhz G4 with OS 9.2.2. I used the software update control
    panel to download and install the most current airport software. I
    checked the Extensions Manager. As far as I can tell, the needed airPort
    drivers are installed and enabled.

    I bought an airport base station on ebay. I'm not sure how many kinds of
    base stations there are. Mine has two ethernet ports and a modem port.
    I'm pretty sure it has a built in dialup modem. It's pearly white.

    I have DSL. Thanks to my DSL provider (SBC aka Pacific Bell), my DSL
    runs on the PPoE protocol. (Point to Point over Ethernet, I believe). OS
    9.x doesn't support PPoE, so I have to use software called enterNet to
    make it happen. It works reliably.

    I have a Pismo laptop (also with OS 9.2.2) with an airport card. That's
    the purpose of this project -- to network the laptop with the desktop
    G4, without wires.

    I had the impression that setup for Airport was pretty bullet proof. I
    hope so. The first steps have faltered.

    I thought I should plug the Ethernet cable that comes from my DSL modem
    into one port of the base station. (It normally goes right into the
    Ethernet jack on the machine.) It seemed like the other port on the
    airport base station should go from base station to computer (the big
    G4). I assume the little icon on the airport base station that sort of
    suggests the sun means "this port does to the computer" and the little
    double-ended arrow icon means "this port goes to the network or DSL or
    whatever." However, this was not quite clear. I tried it both ways. (It
    is powered up, too.)

    No matter what I do -- and I tried a lot of stuff, I get the same error
    message. This is approximate...

    "The airport setup software cannot detect airport hardware installed on
    your computer. If you have recently installed an airport card, make sure
    it is...." etc., etc.

    I tried messing with the network control panels. (I don't network much,
    but I have a passing acquaintance with the procedures.) Nothing helped.

    I'm stalled at the starting line. If I can get to the point where the
    airport setup assistant can start working, I can probably take it from
    there. Ihave the PDF instructions, but they don't address what is
    happening here.

    Please throw me a clue.

    Thanks in advance,

    Tim Miller

    Timothy Guest

  4. #4

    Answer posted only on comp.sys.mac.com

    In article <com>,
    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    The Airport you describe sounds like an Airport Extreme -- the "fancy
    one," the latest model, with a modem port and antenna connection.

    First, the little sun symbol denotes a Wide Area Network port and should
    be connected to your modem, while the double ended arrow should be
    connected to your computer or your LAN.

    I don't know if you are running the proper software to configure this
    device. Apple says, "Note that a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X
    v10.1.5 (with Networking Update) or later is required to set up the base
    station initially."

    Assuming you are at the correct software level, the Airport Admin
    Utility must be used to set up the device from your G4 which I assume
    does not have an airport card. Conversely the Airport Setup Assistant
    can only be used from a device WITH an airport card. Using the Setup
    Assistant from the G4 will result in the error message you describe.

    I would also make sure to reset the device before I started.

    The Apple page >http://www.apple.com/airport/< has a considerable amount
    of doentation you can download that would be helpful.

    --
    Rod Smith
    Florida Panhandle

  5. #5

    Lawrence Haber wrote:

    --snip--

    >>[/ref]
    > What I had meant to say, is that this occurred when I first tried to install
    > an airport, and what the issue was for me was that the airport card was no
    > good and in fact neither was the base station. The error message would seem
    > to indicate that the computer is not "seeing" the airport card, either
    > because it is not inserted correctly or fully or because it was defective.
    > In my case, it was defective.
    >
    > First, try to make sure the card is fully inserted.
    >
    > If you know some one who might swap and card in and out, that might be
    > helpful.
    >
    > Hope this helps.[/ref]

    Jeez, I feel stupid.

    I thought all Ihad to do was plug the base station into the Ethernet
    port. At least for Airport native machines. I thought my machine (466
    mhz G4) was airport native. I thought airport cards were just for the
    **remote** machines!

    Your comment suggests the machine connected to the base station requires
    a PCI Airport card. Did I get that right?

    I'll do some investigating, but any comments here would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Tim Miller

    Timothy Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>,
    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    There are 3 generations. The original Graphite Colored with a single
    ethernet port and modem. The Snow Airport base station with 2 ethernet
    ports and a modem. And finally the Extreme which has 2 ethernet ports,
    a USB port for a printer, and an optional modem. The Extreme also says
    on the front "Airport Extreme".

    Sounds like you have the 2nd generation Snow.

    Instead of using enterNet software on the Mac, you should be able able
    to use the Snow Airport base station to do the PPPoE authentication and
    then share the connection with all the computers in your household.

    Nope. This is the WAN port, and this is where your DSL line gets
    plugged into. It is important that you plug your DSL line into this
    port as it is the one that the Snow Airport base station

    The <--> is the LAN port and is for your local household network. Plug
[...]

    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Bob Harris wrote:
    --snip--

    --snip--
    >[/ref]

    Thanks, Bob, that reply was a humdinger.

    I think you nailed it, except for one thing.

    I tried the cables both ways, restarted both ways, restarted the base
    station, etc. No matter what I did, same error message. Something about
    the necessary hardware isn't installed on your machine.

    I'm using OS 9.2. Does the snow base station work with OS 9?

    It's possible I was using "Airport setup assistant" instead of "Airport
    Admin Utility.

    Further comments welcome.

    Cheers,

    Tim Miller

    Timothy Guest

  8. #8

    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    The 'sun' icon should go to the DSL modem, the 'double arrow' to your
    desktop G4.

    I nearly got caught with this one. I have just today been setting up an
    airport network.

    It seems that you can only use the Airport Setup Assistant with a
    machine that has an Airport card. Configuring the base station when it
    is connected by ethernet needs the use of the Airport Admin Utility.

    The great advantage of the Setup Assistant, when it can be used, is that
    some of the information needed for an internet connection gets
    transferred automatically. With the Admin utility you will have to put
    in that information yourself.

    I had it a bit easier than you in that my DSL modem included an ethernet
    hub, so I could keep the desktop plugged in as it was, and simply plug
    the base station into another port of the hub.

    Your base station seems to be the latest, the Airport Extreme. You can
    find somewhere on Apple's site (sorry I don't have the URL) a doent
    called "Designing Airport Extreme Networks" which gives a fair bit of
    information.

    First thing to do is to set the desktop machine and the base station,
    using the Admin Utility, so that the desktop sees the base station and
    so that you have a working internet connection.

    Then bring in the laptop. See if that connects to the internet via the
    base station. Finally get the two machines to speak to each other.

    There are several settings that may need adjusting. "Designing A E
    Networks" gives a lot of the necessary info, I'm not sure if there is
    enough under Airport Help.

    --
    Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;
    mail to the From address is never read

  9. #9

    In article <com>,
    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    > --snip--
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks, Bob, that reply was a humdinger.
    >
    > I think you nailed it, except for one thing.
    >
    > I tried the cables both ways, restarted both ways, restarted the base
    > station, etc. No matter what I did, same error message. Something about
    > the necessary hardware isn't installed on your machine.
    >
    > I'm using OS 9.2. Does the snow base station work with OS 9?
    >
    > It's possible I was using "Airport setup assistant" instead of "Airport
    > Admin Utility.
    >
    > Further comments welcome.[/ref]

    I have one thought. You got your Airport base station via eBay. Was it
    someone else's base station and maybe already configured with a password
    before you got it? That could be an issue. If it was a closed box item
    being sold by a discounter via eBay, that would be a different story,
    but if pre-owned, it might have stuff already configured and that may
    not be helping.

    If that is the case, then I think you might want to reset the unit. On
    the back next to the plugs should be a small recessed button with a
    trangle in a small gray circle icon next to it. Or there is a hole on
    the bottom of the unit that you stick a paperclip in to reset the
    system. If my memory is correct, you would pull the power cord. Press
    and hold the reset button using a paperclip. While holding the reset
    button, plug in the power cord. Continue to hold the reset button until
    the 3 lights on the front of the unit stop flashing (10 to 20 seconds,
    if I recall correctly). In theory if I have remembered the procedure
    correctly, your base station should be reset to factory settings. If I
    have guessed wrong, then try getting the base station manual from Apple
    or via a google search.

    It has been awhile since I played with Mac OS 9, so I'm not really sure
    of which programs allow which functions. But I'm fairly sure that the
    Snow Airport Base Station does work with Mac OS 9. I seem to recall
    that it came out while I was still running Mac OS 9 (but they say your
    memory is the second thing to go when you get old, can't remember the
    first :-)

    Now if your base station says "Airport Extreme" on the front, then it is
    the most recent generation, and I think that the Airport Extreme models
    only work with Mac OS X.

    Again, it has been so long since I ran Mac OS 9 _AND_ even longer since
    I may have run the "Setup Assistant", that I don't really know if there
    are limitation based on ethernet connected vs Airport WiFi connected.

    I've been using the "Airport Admin Utility" on both Mac OS 9 (about 2
    years ago) and Mac OS X (currently) to do all my base station
    configuration changes.

    You said you had a Pismo with an Airport card. You could try using the
    Airport Setup Assistant from that system if you want to hand holding of
    the scripted setup. Or you could slug though the different tabs of the
    Airport Admin Utility and setup the configuration that way. It can be
    done, but it does require some thinking about what the different options
    are.

    I'm going to give some general suggestions based on looking at the
    contents of the Airport Admin Utility as run on Mac OS X, talking to an
    Airport Extreme base station. The differences in OS base station may
    mean things are different from what you see, but I'm hoping that enough
    of the description will be similar to give you an idea of what to set.

    Airport Tab: Use this to give your base station a name, to give your
    Netowrk a name (if you live in an area where neighbors are near by, a
    name that helps your neighbors locate you might be useful for resolving
    any interference between neighbors; or an obscure name to make it
    difficult for your neighbors to find you :-), you can also give your
    base station an admin password here, and you can establish a Wireless
    password (WEP) so that only you and people you tell the password to can
    connect to your wireless network. This is also where you can choose the
    channel (1-11) for your operations. I like 1 or 11, and try to stay
    away from 6, as that is what a lot of 2.4GHz wireless phones use. Your
    mileage may vary.

    NOTE: You might want to defer giving the base station a
    password, and defer giving your network a WEP password until after you
    have proved that everything is working. It is just one less thing to
    get wrong initially. _HOWEVER_, I strongly suggest you setup both a
    base station admin password, and a WEP password after you prove that
    everything is working so that your network is not hijacked by some
    neighbors kid :-)

    Internet Tab: Here is where you choose the way you are connected to the
    internet. There should be a pop-up button that allows you to select
    "PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)". You will then give your DSL account name
    and DSL account password in this tab.

    Network Tab: This is where you setup your DHCP operations. Select
    "Distribute IP addresses", "share single IP address (using DHCP and
    NAT)". Should be the default, but who knows. You get to choose the
    local set of addresses that are going to be used. The default is
    10.*.*.*, but the other local address ranges are 172.16.*.* and
    192.168.*.*. 10.*.*.* is generally what Apple defaults to, but many
    other Cable/DSL router vendors us something in the 192.168.*.* range.
    This will only be an issue if you are putting more than one router on
    your home network. Again these addresses are what are used on your
    local household network, and have nothing to do with the IP address
    assigned by your ISP via your DSL modem.

    Port Mapping Tab: You should not need to do anything with this. This
    only comes into play if you want to have in-bound ports directed to a
    specific system (like a web server, or ftp server, or ssh server, etc...)

    Access Control Tab: This is where you could enter the ethernet or
    Airport physical MAC addresses 12:34:56:78:ab:cd to limit the base
    station to only reconizing the systems you tell it as being able to use
    the base station. I would leave this alone until you get things working
    so that you know it works, then maybe paly with this to increase your
    security.

    WDS Tab: Not sure if you will have this tab, but if you do, ignore it.
    It is for cascading multiple base stations, and you are only dealing
    with one base station at the moment. If you have a WDS tab, it should
    _NOT_ "enable" anything.

    Those are all the Airport base station tabs, and the general idea of
    what you should be setting in each.

    Good luck, and I hope something I have suggested is helpful.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Guest